VISTA RAM

« - | Ipod wont mount »

Old August 27th 06, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gary Mount

Default VISTA RAM

I was going to add 128 MBytes to my computer, but it would cost me over
$300. So, a few years later I added the 128MBytes, but now the cost was $50.
So if you take into consideration that the memory will probably be cheaper
in the future, then the total cost when you upgrade still might be cheaper
and you save money in the short term as well (remember moore's law?).

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote in message
Very good answer.
But if you can possibly do it and you can somehow afford it, get the
largest stick you can based in the motherboard manual..
Putting another 256 MB and using another slot may force you to discard 256
MB in the future when you can finally afford a larger memory.
That may have the effect of increasing the total cost while saving $ in
the short term.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"DJ TECH" wrote in message
Because when you are 13 years old, 150 dollars are a fortune! That's why!

Old August 27th 06, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gary Mount

Until recently, I was running XP (with SP2) with only 64 Mbytes of RAM. I
could get the memory being used down to around 34 Mbytes by turning off
services, killing the explorer process.
Anyway, now that I have 192 MBytes, It runs wonderfully by comparison and I
don't bother turning services off. Also, a decently fast hard drive can make
up for having less ram.

"Travis King" wrote in message
In the old days (pre-SP2) XP ran fine with 256MB of RAM, but I agree -
anymore, 256MB doesn't work well on XP.

Old August 27th 06, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gary Mount

Your setup is almost identical to mine. Except my laptop is only a PII at
300Mhz. A 4 Gbyte hard-drive makes things interesting too.

"Dave Balcom" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:39:46 +1200, "Clayton"
wrote:

}How could you even run XP with SP-2 on a machine with 256MB? (248MB) with
}8MB for intergrated VGA.

I am running XP Pro w/SP2 on a 2001 Dell laptop with 192 MB of ram (P3
850) just fine. Virus protection is AVG Pro. Basically, all I do is surf
with it and connect to my desktop (Vista Beta 2 machine with 2 GB of
dual channel memory) with remote desktop to run any apps.

Later,
Dave

« - | Ipod wont mount »