Windows Vista and Hard drive recognition.

Old January 19th 08, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
1maintenance

Default Windows Vista and Hard drive recognition.

Hello everyone,

My question is how come when a hard drive (Maxline III Model:
7V250F0 SATA) is initialized within windows XPPro and partitioned/ formatted
and can be used in XPPro, when WindowsVista Home Basic on the same machine
does not recognized the drive except in disk manager it shows the drive
without drive letters? I have XPPRO installed on drive 0 and Vista Home
Basic on drive 3 in a dual boot with vista boot pro. Noticed the bios has
it as a master drive along with another drive on an IDE which is a master
too? I tried initializing in vista without any luck? So I tried using after
initializing with XPPro and Vista Home Basic wants to load drivers for
hardware but can't find any? I am confused! Anyway the drive was out of a
Dell computer originally (possibly an OEM drive?) and I used a utility from
their web sight to erase the drive. Then I did as mentioned above. If anyone
could help in this matter I would be grateful for this help! Thanks in
advance.

My co-worker friend had virus on drive and bought another? So he gave me
this one to play with. It is a Maxline III Model: 7V250F0. Understandable
maybe I just not doing the correct processes to accomplish this task?

Below is information about my computer. I have four hard drives installed
on my system and Maxtor 6Y080P0 -- drive 0 and Maxtor 7V250F0 [Hard drive]
(250.00 GB) -- drive 2 are both recognized by the bios as masters? Can I
make both IDE drives as Slaves by jumpers? How can I make Maxtor 7V250F0
[Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 2 as a slave?

Operating System

System Model

Windows Vista Home Basic (build 6000)

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a

Main Circuit Board b

3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8KNXPU 1.x
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. FF 09/02/2005

Drives

Memory Modules c,d

241.58 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
151.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Maxtor 6Y080P0 -- drive 0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive Status:
Healthy

Maxtor 6Y120P0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 1, Status: Healthy

Maxtor 7V250F0 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 2, Status: Healthy

SEAGATE ST336706LW SCSI Disk Device (36.70 GB) -- drive 3

2048 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
Slot 'A3' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 3)
36.70 GB
17.77 GB free

f: (NTFS on drive 0)
40.00 GB
30.77 GB free

g: (NTFS on drive 1)
122.93 GB
67.92 GB free

h: (NTFS on drive 0)
41.95 GB
34.95 GB free

Old January 19th 08, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Remove the IDE drive and see what you have. There have been reports of
strange behavior trying to install Vista on machines that have both PATA and
SATA drives.

Old January 19th 08, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
1maintenance

Colin,
Thank you for this info. I did unplug ide drives and Vista recognized
the sata drives. When I plug ide's back in and boot they are not recognized?
Can I do anything to make all these work together? Thanks for you time and
info!

Old January 19th 08, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

The IDE drive usually is not a problem once the OS is installed so I suspect
the IDE cable. Tolerances in Vista are much tighter than in previous
versions of Windows. It could be a problem of crosstalk on the cable. If
you are still using the old style 40-wire IDE cable then that could well be
the problem. If so, replace it with a new 80-wire cable and see if that
resolves the issue. The extra 40 wires do not carry data but do ground out
the crosstalk.

Old January 20th 08, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jim[_3_]

Colin,
Good idea! Need to know how to get said 80 wire cable? Will my local
computer repair shop have? Best Buy? Circuit City?

Old January 20th 08, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Any of those places would have them but I like using the repair shops
because you get to talk to knowledgeable folks there. These days you can
get rounded cabling which is better for airflow inside the box anyway. By
now that should be all any of these places carry in the way of new cables,
but specify anyway.