I can't change the track information on some mp3 files in vista

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 19th 08, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
knicknack

Default I can't change the track information on some mp3 files in vista

I'm having a heck of a time trying to organize my music ever since I got a
vista computer. I have an external hard drive with a lot of music on it, and
also have been putting new music on it. When I try to change the track
information (whether through explorer, winamp, or itunes) it won't let me do
it on all files.

For example:

I have a folder containing an entire album, which I got from the same
source. I want to make sure all the track info is correct before I put it
into winamp. I open explorer, and see that not all the track numbers are
there. So, I start putting them in. Every once in a while, I'll edit the
track number (or artist, or genre, or anything at all) and vista throws an
error:

"An error occurred when writing the property '#' to the file 'filename'."

(where property is any property and filename is the name of the file)

I've checked into ownership - i changed the ownership of the external drive
to the administrator group. I've looked into read only - i have access to
full permissions on the files and folders. It reads as a winamp media file,
and looks the same as the others that I can edit. When I look at the
security on the folders, sometimes 'read only' is shaded in in blue, so I
have unchecked that and applied it to everything in the folders and
subfolders just to make sure everything is readable. However, when I do
that, it still ends up blue the next time I look at it. Since blue means
absolutely nothing to me, I don't know what this means at all, but...

So, I own everything in the directory, it should be readable and writable,
and I have permissions to everything.

So what on EARTH is going on? It's very very very very annoying.