I can't change the track information on some mp3 files in vista

Old January 19th 08, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
knicknack

Default I can't change the track information on some mp3 files in vista

I'm having a heck of a time trying to organize my music ever since I got a
vista computer. I have an external hard drive with a lot of music on it, and
also have been putting new music on it. When I try to change the track
information (whether through explorer, winamp, or itunes) it won't let me do
it on all files.

For example:

I have a folder containing an entire album, which I got from the same
source. I want to make sure all the track info is correct before I put it
into winamp. I open explorer, and see that not all the track numbers are
there. So, I start putting them in. Every once in a while, I'll edit the
track number (or artist, or genre, or anything at all) and vista throws an
error:

"An error occurred when writing the property '#' to the file 'filename'."

(where property is any property and filename is the name of the file)

I've checked into ownership - i changed the ownership of the external drive
to the administrator group. I've looked into read only - i have access to
full permissions on the files and folders. It reads as a winamp media file,
and looks the same as the others that I can edit. When I look at the
security on the folders, sometimes 'read only' is shaded in in blue, so I
have unchecked that and applied it to everything in the folders and
subfolders just to make sure everything is readable. However, when I do
that, it still ends up blue the next time I look at it. Since blue means
absolutely nothing to me, I don't know what this means at all, but...

So, I own everything in the directory, it should be readable and writable,
and I have permissions to everything.

So what on EARTH is going on? It's very very very very annoying.
Old January 20th 08, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Can you edit that tag for that file within Windows Media Player?

There's a number of ways in which a file could have bad/uneditable metadata.
Compressed ID3 tags are notably unsupported, for example.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old March 14th 08, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
djohnson123

Default I can't change the track information on some mp3 files in vist

I too am having the same problem. I am using the same portable drive that I
used with my XP laptop but now with a new Vista laptop I cannot edit tags on
some mp3 files. I tried using Media Player to edit them like you said and it
worked for one album but not another. Any thoughts ??? Don

Old March 21st 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What happens when you try? Is it greyed out, or does it look like you will
be able to, but then it won't let you?

Is there a sample file I could try this with?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

Can you edit that tag for that file within Windows Media Player?

There's a number of ways in which a file could have bad/uneditable
metadata.
Compressed ID3 tags are notably unsupported, for example.

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Old March 21st 08, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
djohnson123

It depends on what I use to edit the tag, but the end result is that it
allows me to change the info but when I save it, the changes don't take.
Winamp produces an error an apears to change one tag from an album but when I
refresh the list the info has reverted to its previous state.
Another forum suggested deleting the entire field and adding new info. Thta
did not work. Also if I try ti add info in a previously unused field ( date
for example ) it fails.
What I have to do now is connect my XP laptop to the external drive, edit
the tags then connect the drive to the Vista laptop. Not exactly
user-friendly. Maybe it's time to load XP on the nre laptop !
Don

Old March 22nd 08, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Wait, so WinAMP is having a problem with this file too? I'm thinking
there's something suspicious about this MP3 file then... ?

Old March 22nd 08, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
djohnson123

No. Let me recap :
With my XP laptop I downloaded lots of mp3s onto an external hard drive. I
had no problem editting the tags of these mp3s then.
I get a new Vista laptop. Some of the existing mp3s and some of the new mp3s
will not allow the tag to be editted when I use the Vista laptop. These same
mp3s will edit just fine using the old XP laptop.
It doesn't matter if I use Winamp, WMP or a stand-alone tag editor, the
results are the same.
On Vista, my user has admin rights. I am the owner of the files on the
external drive. I manually changed ownership when I first had the problem.
The files are writeable.
In my mind the problem lies within Vista.
Don

Old April 4th 08, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What are the properties on this external hard drive? Are the files normally
accessible in Explorer? I was thinking you were intimating some
player-centric issue, but now it seems you are hinting towards some
networking(?) issue.

Old December 13th 08, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
effoex

Turn off User Account Control:

Control Panel
User Accounts and Family Safety
User Accounts
Turn User Account Control on or off

After you restart, you should be able to edit ID3 tags again.

--
effoex
effoex's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/effoex.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old April 19th 09, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
ceomrman

knicknack;3469546 Wrote:
[...]

Welcome to Windows Vista! This is one of about two dozen insane issues
you'll find. Sometimes I can easily change multiple track attributes,
other times, Vista won't let me change ID3 tag fields. Other times, it
lets me change them but the changes don't. None of the suggestions here
make any sense - it has nothing to do with your external hard drive,
read only file attributes (which you can change if you insist but they
will never, ever stay how you want them), UAC, or anything else. I've
had the problem with multiple reformats, 32 bit and 64 bit, with UAC on
and off, and on multiple physical computers. It's just a pure crap
shoot.

--
ceomrman
ceomrman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/91520.htm