Unknown Network Device in Vista Business

Old January 27th 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default Unknown Network Device in Vista Business

You're welcome.

"soren" wrote in message

"Colin Barnhorst" skrev i meddelelsen
Not generally true. Once installed Device Manager does not usually show
the ACPI utility as an unknown device. What does often show as an
unknown device is a game port since the old style game ports are no
longer supported in Windows.

Then I still have an unsolved problem as Daniel.
After installing I had 2 unknown devices, one of these
was the game port, which I disabled. I tried several times
to load a driver from the update service to the other
unknowned device. But the service kept telling me,
that the ACPI utility was installed. The update found a driver
to the S/PDIF. This driver was automatically removed as I
loaded a HD-driver from the Asus Vista support. So,
the S/PDIF could be the unknowned. -I dont know!.
Strange, if the microsoft update service referes to the ACPI
if it´s the S/PDIF.
I´m about to change this P5LD2 SE motherboard to a
Vista compatible and reinstall Vista.
Thanks for the correction.

"soren" wrote in message
Probably the same trouble I had.
If you look in the Controlpanel ProblemReporter, I guess
you´l see this ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY, reportet as a
device that needs a driver. If so, dont worry
( if you updated Vista after it was installed ), microsoft update
installed a driver for this utility, which is build into the
motherboard . You motherboard is probably an ASUS.
Unfurtunately, DiviceManager continues to show an
unknowned divice.

"Daniel" skrev i meddelelsen
Situation: Running Vista Business on 3.0GHz P-4 system using an MSI
MS-7211
mobo with onboard Realtek RTL8139 10/100 interface, Realtek RTL8029 PCI
10-Base NIC (to connect with an older 10Base-2 LAN) -- both correctly
recognized by Device Manager, both with drivers and both working
perfectly.
Only other expansion card is an ATi Radeon 9550 AGP video card, also
working
correctly. All other devices are properly recognized, have drivers
installed, and are working perfectly. System has onboard USB 2.0 ports
(only
1 currently used for UPS), no Firewire, and standard COM and LPT ports.

Problem: In Device Manager, under the Network group is an "unknown
device"
recognized and disabled by Vista, but I know of no physical device that
might
correspond to this entry. If it's enabled, Vista can't find drivers
for it,
won't further identify what it might be, and immediately restores the
"unknown device" if it's uninstalled or deleted. The system
multi-boots and
Windows XP Pro does not detect any such "unknown" device.

If it helps, under the Details tab of this device's Properties, it
lists the
Physical Device Object name as "\Device\0000002f" and the Driver key as
"{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0007". None of the other
Details
give any clue as to the identity of this device.

For the moment, I've disabled this "unknown device" to stop the "driver
not
found" errors on bootup, but don't have any idea what it might be, or
what
else to do about it. Any thoughts out there just what this apparent
phantom
might be? and if there is anything that can be done to clear the
"unknown
device" from Device Manager?
--
Owner, G/W MicroSystems

Old January 27th 08, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

Colin & Soren --

The ACPI device should not appear in the Network group where my "unknown
device" is, and the ACPI device (there are actually three "devices"
associated with ACPI) appear correctly in the System group. The "unknown
device" in my system appears in the Network group (NOT in an "other" group),
and has the same Device GUID as the motherboard's built-in 10/100 device, and
the 10Base-2 PCI card (but obviously a slightly different Device ID -- the
four-digit number that follows the GUID in the Device key).

On the game port, that device would appear in the group with the Sound
devices if identified (or possibly in the "other" group if unidentified), but
should not appear in the Network group, and would not be given a Network GUID
entry. That's all just a bit academic anyway, as this system does not have
any game port at all (most newer motherboards don't).

For what it's worth, this MSI (Microstar -- NOT ASUS) motherboard was given
to me by a friend who lost the original installation CD -- which would have
pre-dated the release of Windows Vista. Happily, all of the needed drivers
were available and updated from the manufacturer's website. Windows Update
has also updated a couple of drivers -- notably the onboard NIC and the
board's sound drivers. And all of the devices appear to be properly
accounted for in Device Manager, have drivers, and are working properly --
except this Unknown Device under the Network group.

-- Dan
--------------

Old January 27th 08, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

Colin --

The MSI MS-7211 motherboard (a/k/a their PM8M3-V) uses VIA P4M800 and
VT8237R chipsets. The onboard video is an "S3 Graphics Unichrome Pro", which
has been disabled in favor of an ATi Radeon 9550 256MB AGP video card (which
supports the Vista Aero graphics). This system has no nVidia chipset
anywhere.

-- Dan
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Old January 28th 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

If you delete the device and then restart Vista, do you get the new hardware
found popup? Any indications in this popup?

Old January 28th 08, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Daniel

John --

If the device is deleted (or uninstalled, in Vista's Device Manager's
language), it reappears immediately. When I first saw this "unknown device,"
Vista had already disabled it. Enabling it produced the "New Hardware Found"
dialogs, which gave no clue whatsoever as to what it might be. When enabled,
reboots continued to produce the "New Hardware" dialogs, but could not find a
driver, and it offered no further identifying info. "Unknown devices" have
been a recurring problem with all versions of Windows since 95, and Vista
seems little if any better, offering no clues as to what the device might be,
other than placing it in Device Manager's "Network" group.

-- Dan