loooong delay in recognizing USB mass storage device

Old January 26th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bigchico

Default loooong delay in recognizing USB mass storage device

I have a USB mass storage device, and it takes vista around 30 minutes to
recognize the two partitions (one is a 64 MB FAT32 partition and the other is
a 111 GB FAT32 partition). On my old slow computer, XP will recognize the
drive partitions within seconds. Is there some setting I need to change in
vista to get this to work correctly? This is a drive for a digital music
player, and I've tried different drives, so I know the drive itself isn't the
problem. Thanks in advance.
Old January 29th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

Dual booting Vista and XP and the USB harddrive (w/external PS)
initialization time is the same for both. Only a single partition on the
drive.

Old January 29th 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bigchico

My question has nothing to do with dual booting a system. I have a hard drive
for a digital music player that connects through a USB interface. The small
partition has the system files for the player and the large partition is for
music storage. On my old computer with XP installed, it works just fine.
However, my new computer with Vista has no idea what to do with the drive. Is
there a fix for this now? Will this be addressed when SP1 is released? Is
Vista just crap like everyone keeps saying?

Old January 29th 08, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

My answer was not about dual booting it was about comparing USB harddrive
performance under Vista and XP and finding no difference between them in how
the external drive was recognized. The thing with a dual boot scenario is
that it compares how the same USB ports, chipset and external harddrive
perform using different operating systems. Since there is no difference
between Vista and XP it suggests that your new PC hardware, or something
else that is installed on it, is more likely the cause of the problem than
Vista is.

Old January 30th 08, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bigchico

Well, I've ruled out all the hardware other than the hard drive itself. Since
I RMA'd the first drive and am having the same problem with the new one, I
seriously doubt that the problem would be with the hard drive. Also, XP
recognizes everything just fine. Is there some setting in Vista where it just
plain doesn't like the 111 GB FAT32 partition? I really don't want to roll
the computer back to XP, especially since this is the first real problem I've
had with Vista, but this is a pretty significant problem that Vista is
causing.

Old February 6th 08, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MoRf3h

Hi there jsut searching for an out come to this ... i have a WD external USb2
drive and when connected my Vista takes over 1min to boot.... as it
recognises the damn drive.. in XP it took roughly an extra 5 secs to detect
it so something is certainly up with Vista!.... If i disconncect the drive
vista boots in 15 secs...

my system setup btw is Vista home premium 64 bit / Quad core 6600, 4gb ram,
250x250 raid 0, 8800 GTS 512..

So if you say its my system setup because of a bug / flaw in Vista i wont be
best plase... and if you search the web this is a highly spread message when
searched for! please help sort it... its not teh end of teh world just damn
annoeying!!!

Regards

James