media center stopped wotking

Old September 6th 06, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
R K

Default media center stopped wotking

Mm... yesterday I saw ATI has released a new video driver and I installed it
right away. Wow... Media Center just stop showing any error message on DVD
playback .... it won't even play DVD at all.

sigh... Now I am putting my hopes on RC1. hope it will solve the problems.

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

RC1 build 5600 has gone out to the techbeta testers and MSDN subscribers and
it goes out to the public Sometime between the 7th and the 9th of sept this
will be a CPP release the same as 5384 was if you registered for the windows
vista beta2 5384 you will get an email with a link to download it in the
next few days.There should also be a product key in that Email.
beta2 was released to 2 million people, RC1 will be released to 6 million
people so if you weren't registered for the first realease then you will be
able to register for RC1 and get a key just keep checking on the "vista get
ready site"

I'm not sure how good it will be it's supposed to be a release candidate
which means it's the final stage of beta testing however from what I've
heard so far there may be the need for an RC2 but that one will probably not
go public
So it will be anybody's guess as to what they've been able to fix before it
hits the shelves.

"ATI 9550 and Vista" wrote in
message ...
Hopefully, Mike Crow Soft is reading this forum. If you do a search on
decoder error, it might provide a clue that something got sent out that
croaked LOTS of peoples Media Centers, recently. This needs to be fixed
before it ever hits the shelves. Media Center is a large reason why folks
would buy Vista. It is nice when it works. It finds my 2 tuner cards and
sets them up fine. But, without a decoder, my system is useless. What is
being released this week? Can we get it? Thanks.

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

Lol I'm just a public trial participant looks like we'll have to wait
till
friday when it gets released.
I think if they don't fix this problem of media center stopping, Then a
lot
of people out there will have huge probs with no idea what to do about it

"ATI 9550 and Vista" wrote in
message ...
Will. Can we IT Professionals get updated build 5600 downloaded?

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

No haven't figured out how to extract it from the DVD and I didn't get
it
work
The only thing that changed on my computer when media center stopped
working
was the installation of an automatic around the time it stopped
working.
And seeing build 5384 is already outdated by 5536 and 5600 I'm not
sure
if
MSFT will be looking into issues with build 5384

"R K" wrote in message
About the MSMPEG2DEC, did you get it to work? Do you know where I
can
get
it
from the Vista DVD?

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

with uninstalling powerDVD you may want to try using compatibility
mode
just
go to my computer click on the drive you have vista installed on go
the
"program files" folder then to the powerDVD folder find the file
"uninstall.exe" right click it, click on properties then
"compatibility"
select compatibility mode for windows Xp sp2 and check the box
marked
"run
as administrator" and it should let you uninstall it
after that I recommend you try Nvidia pure video platinum there's a
free
30
day trial of it on the Nvidia website this worked for me
Just make sure you install it as administrator and in compatibility
mode
for
XP and you shouldn't have any problems

"R K" wrote in message
I have experienced the same problem. Vista was working nicely last
Monday
night but when I boot up the next morning, I got "Decoder Error"
problem.
No
TV or DVD under MCE.

I reinstall from scratch and did all the updates and still the
got
the
problem. I installed PowerDVD and then I can at least watch TV
but
DVD
has
no
sound. sigh.. Now it won't let me uninstall PowerDVD.

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

I'm running beta 2 5384
media center has always worked for me but it has all of sudden
stopped
it
keeps saying "decoder error" evertime I want to watch live tv or
play
recorded tv
This has happened to me only once before at the time it was
caused
by
the
system time being out of sync
this is not the cause this time I'm at a loss here I have no
idea
why
it
is
doing this I've tried everything even reinstalled my video
drivers
and
still
no luck
does anyone out there have any Ideas ???

Old September 6th 06, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Will Schuitman

It may be that the new ATI driver has been written for RC1
it's worth keeping to use with RC1

news

Old September 10th 06, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Naveen Thumpudi [MSFT]

The real reason is that the "trial period" on MPEG-2 codecs needed for
MCE/DVD playback/burn has expired around 8/31 in Vista Beta 2. Using RC1 is
indeed the right solution.

Naveen Thumpudi [MS]
----
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers not rights.
----

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

It may be that the new ATI driver has been written for RC1
it's worth keeping to use with RC1

news

Old September 10th 06, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Naveen Thumpudi [MSFT]

Codecs in the final Vista release would not have such an expiration.

Naveen Thumpudi [MS]
----

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

It may be that the new ATI driver has been written for RC1
it's worth keeping to use with RC1

news

Old September 10th 06, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Jeff

Naveen,
One question; if I may?
Why do the codec's have a "trial" period?
Are they beta code also? And if not; if they won't expire in RTM; why did
you guys use the "trial" one's in beta 2??

Jeff

"Will Schuitman" wrote:

It may be that the new ATI driver has been written for RC1
it's worth keeping to use with RC1

news Mm... yesterday I saw ATI has released a new video driver and I

Old September 13th 06, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
ATI 9550 and Vista

Naveen - Glad you provided that info. I might ask one question - Why would
not someone have told us about that codec expiration previously. If you do a
search in this forum, you can see many many of us had the TV/Playback stop
working the end of August. I personally spent over 30 hours trying to figure
this out. Finally downloaded a trial decoder from NVIDIA. I personally
could not believe something was TIMED to stop working??????? Very
disappointed.

Old November 15th 06, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Stevenc

Hello,

Regarding the Media Center Program. I've had the same problem and have
found a temporary solution. I back-dated the operating system's date
back to the date when I installed the vista OS and it started working.

I can tell you if your graphics cards were previously working with
Vista, you may have the same problem as I had.

I find this DLL to be the suspect: msmpeg2vdec.dll

Please let me know if any of you is lucky to have found a permanent
solution to this problem.

Cheers.

StevenC

--
Stevenc
Stevenc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19223

http://www.techarena.in

Old January 5th 07, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Technology Guy

Naveen -

Vista RC2 MC just stopped working - with the same decoder expiration as in
previous releases. I thought you said there would not be an expiration like
this in the final release.

What am I missing?