media center stopped wotking

Old August 31st 06, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Will Schuitman

Default media center stopped wotking

I'm running beta 2 5384
media center has always worked for me but it has all of sudden stopped it
keeps saying "decoder error" evertime I want to watch live tv or play
recorded tv
This has happened to me only once before at the time it was caused by the
system time being out of sync
this is not the cause this time I'm at a loss here I have no idea why it is
doing this I've tried everything even reinstalled my video drivers and still
no luck
does anyone out there have any Ideas ???

Old August 31st 06, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JD Williams

This just happened to me also. Have not installed anything new. Have a
Hauppauge PVR-150 card and nothing has changed. Media Center fails with
Decoder error. Can something in an update have caused this? Jason - HELP

--
Thanks - JD Williams

Old August 31st 06, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Will Schuitman

There was an update today I uninstalled it but media center still had the
decoder error
my next step was to use system restore to go back to a point where it still
worked and even after that I still had the decoder error.
this really has me puzzled
and also media player won't play Mpeg files either I'm pretty sure the mpeg2
codec is corrupted
I cannot find the vista codec package anywhere on the MSFT website, So what
my next move will have to be to work out how to extract and reinstall it
from the DVD

Old August 31st 06, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JW

The Vista MPEG2 decoder (MSMPEG2DEC) is built into the core of Vista so you
will not find it as a separate product.
Have you tried running CheckDisk to see if can possibly fix the corruption?

Old August 31st 06, 11:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Will Schuitman

I've found the file in question it's MSMPEG2VDEC.DLL now all I need to do is
extract it from the dvd and replace the corrupt one
I think media center is great in vista but I'm sure once vista is launched
and is in use by millions of poeple all over the world many more will have
this problem and as I'm finding out now it's not easy to fix.
I think it would be a good idea if microsoft included a MCE repair tool with
vista it would save millions of people a lot of frustration

Old September 1st 06, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
ATI 9550 and Vista

Will - did it work? My guess is no. But your descovery sounds promising. I
formatted my HD and reinstalled Vista beta 5384 again. Then I installed the
driver to my Hauppauge PVR-150. Also, the drivers to my Theater 550 Pro
card. That is the only software that I installed on this rebuilt system. I
setup Media Center and it still fails. Can it possibly be data sensative to
a bad TV Guide? This happened to me before using ATI MultiMedia Center.
Grasping at straws on this one. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old September 1st 06, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Will Schuitman

Your problem sounds a lot like it's a driver problem with your tuner card
have you tried looking on the manufacturers site
to see if there's a BDA driver for your tuner card?
vista supports most tuner cards that previously worked in MCE 2005 but if
not it's highly likely that you need to manually install a BDA driver
it's would be great if there's one there for vista but insatlling an xp one
would be well worth trying as long as you install it in compatibility mode
who knows it may work
I'm going to wait till RC1 comes out it's only days away
there's not much that I can do about the probs with my media center without
doing a reinstall of vista

"ATI 9550 and Vista" wrote in
message ...

Old September 1st 06, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JW

So you reinstalled the latest VISTA drivers from the Hauppauge and ATI
Websites and from the Website of your graphics card. What is the source of
the TV signal to your tuner cards?
What graphics card and drivers are you using and what resolution over what
interface?

"ATI 9550 and Vista" wrote in
message ...

Old September 1st 06, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
ATI 9550 and Vista

Just to clarify the facts again. My Vista system has been working fine since
the day it was released to us by Microsoft. beta 5384. I used Media Center
every day since then. Got up one day last week and when I went to start it
got the DECODER ERROR.
I have an ASUS P4SD-vx mobo with 1 gb ram and a maxtor 250 HD. The video
card is ATI Radeon 9550 with the Vista Catalyst and drivers installed(since
day1).

My tuner cards are Theater 550 Pro with the ATI drivers(since day1). I also
have a Hauppauge PVR-150 card with their Vista Drivers(since day1).

I used the original Vista ISO that I have to reinstall to a formatted HD. I
am running out of ideas. Does some of the MS drivers come down the internet
during the install process? Maybe something has changed in MS-Ville???

What was that you said about an update? When? Thanks. HELP!!!!!!

Old September 1st 06, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
JW

Some driver updates come down from the internet when you install Vista.
Others will come dowm from Vista WinUpdate when MS has accepted them from
the manufacturer for inclusion in the next release. If you have automatic
updates set you will not even know they arrived.
In any case a tuner driver problem is not normally the source of a Decoder
error although AFIAK it can be caused by a Graphics card or graphics card
driver not responding as expected to the Decoder.
Will your system run properly in F8 Safe Mode?

"ATI 9550 and Vista" wrote in
message ...