Vista will not show jpeg thumbnails, Help!!

Old April 18th 08, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
clokverkorange

Default Vista will not show jpeg thumbnails, Help!!

This actually isn't that hard of a fix - here is what I stumbled across
after wracking my brains for 2 days over this problem.
- Go into Start Pictures
- Click the "Organize" Dropdown and click "Folder and Search Options"
- Under the "General" tab click "Show Previews and Filters"
- Under the "View" tab, make sure "Always show icons, never
thumbnails" is UNCHECKED. I also CHECKED "Display file icon on
thumbnails", for non-image files.
- Click "Apply" then "OK".Hope this helps, cos I was going nuts over this for days and I really
didn't want to hack into my registry just to fix what seemed like a
simple problem.

If anyone is still having trouble after reading this, please let me
know and I will either add screencaps or do a Captivate of the process.
I was facepalming myself once I discovered how simple it was =p

--
clokverkorange

Old May 4th 08, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
WIM4246

This look like it it dealing with my issue - Thanks for the CLARITY!!! of
your instructions - but it is not fixing "completley" what I would like to do
-

GET BACK to the XP "FLAT - HORIZONTAL File Icon Display that SHOWED by
default a selection of up to 4 images on the "face" of the File Folder Icon -
or a particular Image file could be selected (under Properties) to be
displayed on the "full face" of the File Folder Icon.

(After going thru your steps - I believe I have already been doing this -
which is not what is needed - GET BACK TO THE XP View!!)

Editorial Commentary - which I hope could be delivered to or monitored by MS
- I only rarely get into these community help areas & Don't know how to use
them well.

Whoever forgot the Fundamentals of Communication - CLARITY! when they
decided to display their Graphic Design Talents with this "Half Open Vertical
File Icon with a few "Half viewable" images that can only be "half ID'd"!!!!
GRRRR!!! Don't FIX Something that was working PERFECTLY in XP!!

Thanks for any further help you can offer - Hope this is Fixable and not the
"New and Improved View" - not allowing us to go back to the view that was
availabe in XP!!

I see that other commentaries posted also think that this is awful and
creates a look more work or time consumption - if I am interpreting their
comments correctly in dealing with what I think is the same issue that I'm
presenting here.

Old July 6th 08, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
docglen[_2_]

Hi guys 'n gals,

This lack of thumbnails for JPEGs was driving me bananas, and I tried
absolutely everything suggested here and elsewhere, including resetting
the BagMRU and Bag values in the registry (see the link below ..... be
sure always to set up a restore point before fiddling with the
registry!), but not as far as the total back up and reload (I've only
just gone through the usual 48 hrs of hell with the update clean
install!!), however, to no avail, and in my line of business, I have to
see an array of many JPEG thumbnails to select the one or ones I need to
work with.

However, I had a wee thought ( a rare event): I had previously selected
my favourite bitmap editor, Corel PhotoPaint 4X, as the default JPEG
editor to use when opening files from a list by left-clicking on them. I
went back in to change that [right-click on any JPEG file, choose 'Open
With' from the drop down menu, then from the subsequent drop down,
select 'Choose Default Program' (at the bottom of the menu].

All of the programs capable of opening the JPEG image will appear.

I selected 'Widows Photo Gallery' from good old Microsoft, closed the
resulting image once it appeared, and, voilá, all of my JPEG icons
changed back to thumbnails, providing I selected anywhere from medium to
extra-large in the 'Views' drop down. Now when I look at the contents of
a graphic folder in and out of the Corel programs, all the JPEGs appear
again as bitmaps, and of course will open in Corel Photo Paint.

If one were to left-click on a JPEG file out of the Corel environment,
it will of course open in Windows Photo Gallery, a small price to pay
for being able to see thumbnails again. However, right-clicking on the
file even when not in the Corel environment will also allow me to open
it in Corel using the 'Open With' command in the drop down menu and
choosing 'Corel PhotoPaint' from the displayed options.

I believe this is a quick and easy fix for all of us who really need to
see our JPEG files as thumbnails, especially when we are working with
many, many files. I did go through the registry fix dexcribed elsewhere,
namely:

'Delete and Reset Windows Vista Folder Views or Folder Types Settings
to Default Clean State » My Digital Life'
(http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...t-clean-state/)

(and everything else anyone suggested in the other Vista-related foums)
till I was blue in the face and I had thoughts of my current computer
becoming an expensive anchor for a small boat ...... the dreaded word
'MAC' even drifted in ... anyone reading this from Vista, take heed!! I
therefore have no way of knowing if that registry re-set was actually
required in addition to my approach, or if simply resetting the default
viewing program to one with the blessings of Microsoft would do the
trick.

Hope it works for anywone else in the same pickle. I have just wasted
the best part of a day getting this small but niggling problem right,
but it's worth it. Happy thumbnailing!

--
docglen
docglen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52608

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 10th 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
BlueLilly

Hi,

I seem to be having a very similar problem.

I have the view options on the folders set up correctly, i.e. in folder
options, always show icons is unticked. However in some of the folders
the thumbnail is not appearing, while in other folders the thumbnail
appears correctly.

One factor that is probably of relevance is that photoshop elements v6
has just been installed and it appears that any jpegs added to the
hardrive after this are not being shown correctly as thumbnails. All
that is appearing is the blue clouds icon instead of the thumbnail.
Strangely if I change the file association, then the thumbnail will
briefly appear for a couple of seconds and then will vanish, only to be
replaced by the icon.

Note that this problem does not affect any jpegs that were on the
hardrive prior to the photoshop installation. The thumbnails for these
are all appearing correctly.

So now I am at a loss with what to do.

Has anyone come across this particular variant of the problem?

Thanks,

BlueLilly

--
BlueLilly
BlueLilly's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bluelilly.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 10th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer

BlueLilly wrote:
[...]

================================
Maybe the following links will offer some ideas:

File association fixes for Windows Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2xsewp
or...
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Windows Vista -
How to Associate a File Extension
Type With a Program in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/6janr9
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

How to Set Default Associations
For a Program in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2abtmr
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83...ociations.html

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Old September 22nd 08, 10:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
BlueLilly[_2_]

Thanks for the links. Nothing seemed to work for me. In the end had to
revert the harddrive to its original state and reinstal everything. I
think the culprit was an earlier version of photoshop elements that had
been uninstalled when elements 6 was installed.

Thanks for the help though.

BlueLilly

Old October 23rd 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Torbjörn Nyström / Pharoe Islands :)

Also work a lot with pictures and find it very frustrating.
I'll work in CorelDRAW Graphic Suite X4, and when making Corel PhotoPaint
the standard program for opening picture-files, Window Explorer only show a
nice & red PhotoPaint icon instead of a picture-thumbnail.

In XP it was never a problem.

I have resigned and made like this: bmp, gif, jpg and all other
picture-files to be open with Windows Pictureviewer.
Now I have my thumbnails back
But the downside - now I always have to rightclick and choose "Open with..."
to get the files open with Corel PhotoPaint

However the thumbnails work perfect with CorelDRAW (vectorprogram) and they
are not pictures, but vector-files. ^^
So I don't know what to think about this Vista-crap.

Sometimes it works - and then it dont. Irritating, isn't it ? Not to
mention all the other problems with Vista. But thats another story...

Old October 23rd 08, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Torbjörn Nyström / Pharoe Islands :)

Yes, have the same problem with Corel PhotoPaint X4 and Vista

After installing X4 : old pictures show thumbnails - new pictures don't.

I also have a XP-machine and installed X4 there - no problems viewing both
old an new thumbnails.

But I have so many problems with my Vista, I've planned to throw it out when
I get to some money. My partner works on MAC and I'll been looking that way
for some time now...

Old February 20th 09, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Ashburn[_6_]

I'm also using windows vista and i was not getting thumbnail of any file
whenvevr i minimized them in the taskbar . The Group Policy Object
Editor trick here
http://forums.techarena.in/customize...op/1111031.htm solved my
problem . Is it the same problem with you?

--
Ashburn
Ashburn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ashburn.htm

Old November 16th 09, 07:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
stilts

There is a simple solution. In Vista, go to
Start (lower left corner)
select "Control Panel"
select "Appearance & Personalization"
Select "Folder Options"
Select the "View" tab you'll see Files and Folders
open
Uncheck box "Always show icons, never thumbnails
Click "Ok"

This in effect does the opposite of what the box says;
never show icons, always thumbnails

--
stilts
stilts's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155237.htm