WMP 11 .wma files and DRM

Old September 12th 06, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Patrick

Default WMP 11 .wma files and DRM

Hello. Awhile back I saw a post from someone, I believe his name was
"MICHAEL". He had stated that he had paid lots of money for downloaded music
and could not get the .wma files to play in Vista, and that WMP no longer
allows for the backup and restoration of licenses.

There is this program out there that will take care of your problem.
Microsoft has already tried several times to beat the software- it just keeps
getting updated. I would suggest you do a google search for Fair Use4 wm.
Once you find the program, you may have to go to several places- Microsoft
keeps shutting them down.

Find the program. It is a standalone app, no installation. Be sure to use
it in WinXP. Do a search of your computer for all your .wma files. Start
the program. In the explorer window, select all .wma files. Drag all those
files into the open window of Fair Use. It will convert them to unprotected
..wma files, and it does it fast. It will save all the converted ones to a
folder of your choice. You can do a whole bunch at once or one at a time.
When you first start the program it will ask you to direct it to a .wma file
that has a license. You must already have at least one valid license on your
computer. It will use that license to check your other .wma files. During
the conversion process, if it comes across a file that doesn't match the one
you are converting, it will tell you that at the end. You need a seperate
license for another dowwnload service- say Napster. It can only use one
license at a time. If you are converting MSN music downloads, find an MSN
music .wma file, it will that load that license. If you want to convert a
Napster .wma file, you must direct it to a Napster download- so on and so
forth.

Good luck. I know this way will be much faster than burning each download to
a CD and then ripping it back to Vista.

Enjoy.
Old September 14th 06, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

"Patrick" wrote in message
There is this program out there that will take care of your problem.
Microsoft has already tried several times to beat the software- it just keeps
getting updated. I would suggest you do a google search for Fair Use4 wm.
Once you find the program, you may have to go to several places- Microsoft
keeps shutting them down.
Good luck. I know this way will be much faster than burning each download to
a CD and then ripping it back to Vista.

Enjoy.

Brilliant!

Perfecto!

-Michael

Old September 15th 06, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mark D. VandenBerg

"MICHAEL" wrote in message

Brilliant!

Perfecto!

-Michael

I meant to email you about this, since you were "having issues" with the
whole DRM thing. I have been sailfishing and unable to access the 'net.
Glad another helped you out.

Old September 15th 06, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

"Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote in message

"MICHAEL" wrote in message

Brilliant!

Perfecto!

-Michael

I meant to email you about this, since you were "having issues" with the whole DRM thing. I
have been sailfishing and unable to access the 'net. Glad another helped you out.

Mark, it worked perfectly. From now on, every song that I buy,
I will also keep a copy that has been stripped of the DRM properties.
I was so ****ed off about the situation. In WMP 10, backing up and
restoring your licenses was so simple. WMP 11, that function was taken
out. I reckon, if you had a buddy he could borrow your license backup
and put all your songs on his computer, too- I guess that's what Microsoft
and the moguls at the entertainment companies did not want. But, that
would be no different than the days of letting a friend borrow a CD or,
even further back, borrow a tape cassette. I guess letting a friend borrow
a book will also be on the chopping block. Fair use rights just don't seem
to apply to digital copies- you really have no rights when buying digital media-
none. Of course, the way to avoid all this is not to buy the entertainment
via download.

If and when this great little program no longer works, I will not buy any
download media from these places. I will not be buying again from MSN
Music. If I am not allowed to make a backup and keep that backup locally-
then I don't want to do business with these companies.

Enough with my blather.

I noticed you had been absent. Did you catch anything? I'm
sure you had a great time. I think I'm ready for a trip to Manteo, NC.

Take care,

Michael