Can't dual boot back to xp need help

Old February 1st 08, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xp-vista-xp

Default Can't dual boot back to xp need help

you guys keeep saying use partition magic 8 to make your partitions then laod
vista my experience with partition magic is vista will not let it run propely
saying the whole partition is "bad" and can only do one thing-delete! yet if
i then load xp from a disk it sees the 3 partitions that are there and I can
put in onto the second partition (vista on first) and xp will now work and I
can see all the aprtitions but cannot get it to dual boot i can either have
vista or xp not both and xp I cannot find all the drivers for it (toshiba
A200) OEm preloaded vista home---help!!!

"BillyJoeBobbyBob" wrote:

I had the same problem as Boomer. I will try again with PM 8. I had a feeling
I was going to lose the dual boot. Not that big of a deal, just the loss of
time :-/ Thats why its a hobby and not a big deal. Anyway thanks for the
hot tip.
--
system:
AMD 64 3000, MSI k8t Neo,1.5 gig RAM, WD Raptor SATA 74G HD, eVGA 6800 GT,

"John Lund" wrote:

You should use 3rd party partitioning software--I used partition magic 8. I
think your problem is that you need to create 2 PRIMARY partitions. From
within xp I opened PM and made a new 20 gig partition and made it primary, I
named it "V" for vista. Was able to choose the new 20 gig partition during
install and am now able to dual boot w/out problems.

"boomer" wrote:

Ok last night i made a Partion for xp & vista but now when i go to disk
management and try an make my xp Partion active , i can't shows the
Partion but says unknown Partion..

Old February 1st 08, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, xp-vista-xp.

Yep! We also keep saying to "install the NEWEST operating system LAST!"

And some of us say that you don't need Partition Magic or Acronis. All you
need is built into Vista.

Remember that all Windows versions (at least since WinNT4, which is where I
started dual-booting with Win9x) install in TWO parts. The big part goes
into the Boot Folder (\Windows, by default) on whichever volume (primary
partition or logical drive on any internal physical drive in your computer);
this volume becomes what Windows refers to as the "Boot Volume". But no
matter which boot volume you select to install Windows into, the small part
will ALWAYS go into the System Partition, which is the Active (bootable)
primary partition on the HDD designated in the BIOS as the boot device at
the time Setup is run. This System Partition is typically "Drive C:", but
drive letters are dynamic and different operating systems might assign
different letters to the same partition. To see which partition is your
System Partition and the Boot Volume for the operating system currently
running, go to Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and look in the Status column.
(WinXP's DM shows only a single Status for each volume, but Vista's DM shows
multiple status labels when applicable.)

(Yes: We BOOT from the SYSTEM partition and keep the operating SYSTEM files
in the BOOT volume. That counterintuitive terminology goes back a long way
and we're not likely to change it now.) See this KB article:
Definitions for system volume and boot volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.../314470/EN-US/

Many users forget - or never knew - that, even though they may install Vista
to the second partition on the second HD, the critical startup files -
including the dual-boot menu - are still written to the first partition on
the FIRST HD. At least, the first HD at the time Vista Setup is run. So if
they unplug the first HD while installing Vista to the second, then Setup
cannot write the critical startup files to the unplugged drive; those files
have to go to the second HD. And that means that a dual-boot menu will not
be created because Setup could not see WinXP on the unplugged first HD. So
future restarts from the second HD will boot Vista only. And, when the
first HD is plugged in again, the startup files in its first partition don't
know anything about Vista, so it will boot WinXP only.

Some users prefer this method of dual-booting: To switch to the other OS,
they boot to the BIOS and swap the boot device.

I prefer Microsoft's dual-boot system. It's straightforward and easy when
we follow the recipe, but it can get complicated when we vary the sequence.
When Vista Setup detects WinXP already installed, it automatically
configures the startup files on the System Partition for dual-booting. In
skeleton form, there are just 3 steps:

1. Configure your hard drives the way you want them to be, including
designating the boot device in the BIOS.

2. Install WinXP.

3. Install Vista using EITHER 3A or 3B:

3A: Boot from the Vista DVD and run Setup.
3B: Boot into WinXP, then insert the Vista DVD and run Setup from
inside WinXP.

WinXP Setup assigns drive letters according to its built-in rules. Briefly,
the System Partition becomes Drive C:, then other primary partitions,
logical drives, optical drives and other devices get other letters starting
with D:.

Vista Setup has different rules: When we boot from the Vista DVD to run
Setup (3A, above), Vista's Boot Volume is assigned Drive C:, even if it is
the second logical drive on the third physical drive, then other letters are
assigned. If the System Partition is not also the Boot Volume, then it
likely will be assigned Drive D:, and this is probably the most-typical
arrangement. Some users are confused because the first partition on the
first HD is Drive C: in WinXP and Drive D: in Vista; each OS will see its
own Boot Volume as Drive C:, while seeing the other OS boot volume as "just
another volume" with some other letter.

To get consistent drive letters between WinXP and Vista, use 3B. First, in
WinXP, use Disk Management to create volumes and assign the letters you want
both OSes to use. Then insert the Vista DVD and run Setup; it will detect
the letters that WinXP has assigned and will assign the same letters in
Vista. If you like, you can assign Drive C: to the System Partition, Drive
X: to WinXP's Boot Volume and Drive V: to Vista's Boot Volume, with all the
other letters available for other volumes, optical drives, removable drives,
etc. - and use the same letters in WinXP and Vista.

While most users (and OEMs) install WinXP into Drive C: as both System
Partition and Boot Volume, I prefer to keep that first partition small and
put ONLY the startup files there. I install WinXP into a different volume,
letting that become Drive D:. Then I use DM to create a new volume (perhaps
on the second HD) and assign it a letter (Drive V:?). Then I install Vista
into Drive V: from within WinXP, keeping the C: and D: assignments. Drives
C:, D: and V: are consistent between WinXP and Vista, and so are my other
volume letters. (Actually, I've used many variations on this theme. The
main point is to not put any OS into the System Partition. Using this
scheme, while beta-testing I've had up to 8 OSes - WinXP and Vista, both x64
and x86 - in a single multi-boot menu, and could delete a build, reformat
its boot volume and install a new build there without disturbing my startup
files in the System Partition. And all without touching PM or Acronis.)

To add WinXP to a Vista system, follow the same basic steps:

1. Configure the hard drives, including using Vista's Disk Management to
create a volume for WinXP.

2 Boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and install WinXP into that volume (Drive
X:?). It will also write its own startup files on the System Partition
(Drive C:? or D:?), overwriting the Vista startup files there.

3. Boot from the Vista DVD-ROM and Repair the startup files, creating the
dual-boot menu.

Sorry this got so long, xp-vista-xp. It's really quite simple - until we
try to explain it without leaving out something important. :^{

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX