Windows Photo Gallery is spazzing out

Old September 16th 06, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Roof Fiddler

Default Windows Photo Gallery is spazzing out

After copying 6440 jpeg and bmp pictures (about 3.5GB) in 347 directories
from a DVD-R to my Pictures folder, I opened Windows Photo Gallery and
selected All Pictures and Videos. It showed in the bottom-left corner "8485
items", which is way more than all my pictures, even including the sample
pictures and videos that come with Vista. That 8485 then spontaneously began
counting down! After reaching somewhere between 6000 and 6500, it jumps back
up to 8500 to 9000, and then begins counting down again. All this while I'm
not doing anything else with the machine. After trying to select various
directories listed in the left pane of Photo Gallery, it crashed, giving an
error message saying that there'd been a "Serious problem" with Photo
Gallery and that although my pictures hadn't been affected, possbily some
tags had been lost (even though I'd not created any tags besides the default
ones, and I'd not tagged any of my pictures). I gave up for a while, but now
I've tried again (after having rebooted the machine in the meantime), and
now the item counter in Photo Gallery is continuously starting at 6345
items, pausing for a second, quickly counting down to 6334 items, pausing
again for a second, jumping back to 6345 items, and repeating the cycle,
infinitely. Again, this is all while I'm not doing anything with the
computer, just sitting here watching it.
Investigating further, I tried scrolling down the long list of thumbnails
while viewing All Pictures and Videos. All of the thumbnails are present in
the top half of the list, but in the bottom half, they're all missing (I get
just the generic green mountain/blue sky with clouds placeholder thumbnail).
I have pictures from each year from 2001 through 2006, and the All Pictures
and Videos view sorts then in reverse by date. All the thumbnails for the
2006 and 2005 pictures show up correctly, but many of the thumbnails for
2003, 2002, or 2001 don't show up at all. Thumbnails for the first 12
pictures of 2004 show up, with the rest of the thumbnails being the generic
thumbnail.
Now, what's very weird is that when I scroll about halfway down the entire
list, and see the end of the 2005 pictures and the beginning of the 2004, I
see a line with "2004 - 434 items" written. But, as the full item count in
the lower-left corner of Photo Gallery is cycling between 6345 and 6334
items, the item count listed for the year 2004 pictures cycles between 434
and 426 pictures. And what's even more weird, at the end of the list of the
year 2005 pictures, every time the full item count of 6345 pictures counts
down to 6334 pictures, the last three thumbnails in the 2005 list disappear!
And when the full item count of 6334 pictures resets again to 6345 pictures,
those last three thumbnails reappear again. It's cycling like that forever,
as I type this.