USB External Hard Drive Not Detected

Old February 2nd 08, 08:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Trent_australia

Default USB External Hard Drive Not Detected

Hi,

Now I have tried all sorts of things. I have a Seagate Freeagent Desktop USB
drive, It has been working fine I plug it in when I need it no problem the
drive comes up. Now when I plug it in windows vista does not even find it. No
new usb device nothing. I have been through everything in vista, device
manager, drive manager, everything. So I tried it on my laptop also running
vista, not a problem found the drive and loaded. So i went back to my tower
and nothing. Can someone tell me what is wrong? I only have 1 other usb
device plug in, and that is my wireless keyboard and mouse. I have tried all
the usb ports also. I am using Vista Home Premium, the machine is brand new
(only a week old) so i haven't even changed any default setting or installed
anything. Can someone help me?????

Thanks

Trent
Old February 11th 08, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Trent_australia[_2_]

"Trent_australia" wrote:
Hi,

Now I have tried all sorts of things. I have a Seagate Freeagent Desktop USB
drive, It has been working fine I plug it in when I need it no problem the
drive comes up. Now when I plug it in windows vista does not even find it. No
new usb device, nothing. I have been through everything in vista, device
manager, drive manager, everything. So I tried it on my laptop also running
vista, not a problem found the drive and loaded. So i went back to my tower
and nothing. Can someone tell me what is wrong? I only have 1 other usb
device pluged in, and that is my wireless keyboard and mouse. I have tried
all
the usb ports also. I am using Vista Home Premium, the machine is brand new
(only a week old) so i haven't even changed any default setting or installed
anything. Can someone help me?????

Thanks
Trent

UPDATE -
I thought of some more information which may help solve my issue. When I
first got my new machine the drive worked fine. After a couple of days when I
would plug the drive in, nothing would come up. Now a friend of mine brought
his USB HDD over (different brand) and it worked fine. plugged it in, Vista
detected it no drama. WHAT IS WRONG???????
Old October 10th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JohnBallinger

Have you resolved the problem with the Seagate FreeAgent USB external
drives being recognized by Vista?
I have exactly the same problem.
John

--
JohnBallinger
JohnBallinger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/johnballinger.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 10th 08, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 02:19:03 +0530, JohnBallinger
wrote:

Have you resolved the problem with the Seagate FreeAgent USB external
drives being recognized by Vista?
I have exactly the same problem.

The person you are asking has NOT posted ANYWHERE in ANY group since
making the post you found - dated back in February.