upgrade to 64 bit

Old February 12th 08, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Default upgrade to 64 bit

If you crack the case to install a new processor you will pretty much toss
the warranty out the window. So no, I would suspect it's not something
you're going to be doing.

Me, I'm an IT network/systems engineer and I wouldn't do it. :-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

"guitardude" wrote in message
I am a student in a Computer Electronics class right now and I have been
for two years. I work on desktops day in and day out. I just don't fully
understand yet everything that is associated with processors, and I haven't
done any work on laptops. I guess the way that I really should have worded
the question is "Is it possible to upgrade the processor without voiding
the warranty of the laptop (in most situations)?"
I am a pretty technical person, just not with laptops. Thanks for your
help, and by the way, that was a pretty good assumption :-)

Old February 13th 08, 04:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
guitardude[_2_]

Thanks for the good advice. It is much appreciated. I enjoyed getting to
talk with someone in the field that I want to go into :-)
Best wishes,
guitardude

Old March 7th 08, 06:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
raghav

Hi,

found this thread just passing by...

I have a core 2 duo T7300 cpu running 32 bit windows vista.

Are there any known benefits of moving to 64-bit ?
Or on the other hand cons ?

just looking for some experience in this area..

regards
raghav..

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

It is a Core Duo, meaning that it is a 32bit cpu. It cannot run x64. The
Core 2 Duo is the 64bit cpu.

"guitardude" wrote in message
In my computer properties it says:
Genuine Intel CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz

The processor logo tag on my case says:
Intel Centrino Duo

I don't know if this is enough info or not, just let me know. thanks for
the help,
guitardude

"Dustin Harper" wrote in message
What processor do you have? That will tell you what it is capable of. The
Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64, and some P4's are 64 bit capable.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

"guitardude" wrote in message
Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am
considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I can.
How do I find out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS? Thanks in
advance,
guitardude

Old March 7th 08, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Go to the microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup for a more
knowledgeable group of users on 64bit versus 32bit talking points.

Most folks here know about the greater memory addressable by x64 but there
are many more nuances than just the amount of ram.

Old March 7th 08, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
guitardude[_2_]

I was in the process of replying to raghav's post when I saw yours. I was
pretty much going to talk about the RAM.
I guess I looked over that newsgroup when I first selected which ones to
have downloaded. Thanks for mentioning it. I will definitely go check it out
because there is sill a lot I need to learn about 64 bit.
guitardude

Old March 14th 08, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xGamer

All Core Duo processors feature EM64T.

So the one you listed, will run Vista x64. It won't be much of a difference
over a core 2 duo processor because EM64T is sorta like a software based
driver where as core 2 duo processors are directly supported with Vista.

But still, you can run x64. I have a Pentuim D 820, I run x64 vista.

Chris

Old March 14th 08, 10:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xGamer

In the reply above, I meant that x64 on your T2250 won't be much of a
difference over 32 bit vista because the EM64T is moreless a software driver
offering 64 bit support.