A Windows Vista forum. Vista Banter

Welcome to Vista Banter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to ask questions and reply to others posts, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Home » Vista Banter forum » Microsoft Windows Vista » Hardware and Windows Vista
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hardware and Windows Vista Hardware issues in relation to Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices)

upgrade to 64 bit



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old June 11th 08, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lighthousekeeper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default upgrade to 64 bit

MS has a setup program that will test your system to see if it is capable of
running the 64 bit. Good luck not very many hardware producers actually have
software updates to support the 64.
--
BABB


"guitardude" wrote:

Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am considering
upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I can. How do I find
out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS? Thanks in advance,
guitardude


  #42 (permalink)  
Old June 13th 08, 03:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default upgrade to 64 bit


i have a amd phenom quadcore cpu. will that work with 64 bit vista because i
bought vista a while ago and it keeps freezing during instalation. it is not
an upgrade. it is a newly built pc and i am putting a full version of vista
on it from nothing. what else could the problem be?
  #43 (permalink)  
Old June 13th 08, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lighthousekeeper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default upgrade to 64 bit

Most likely you have a device that causes the freezeup. Also phenom cpu's
have not so good marriage with Vista 64 bit. To help I need to know
specifics like before installing 64 was your HD cmpletely clean. If you have
a full version of 64 was the install disk completely clean ? If it's an
older version of 64 it could have very few drivers. Vista is a hungry OS.
Best bet if you have someone who has an intel 64 capable I's have them test
the disk.

1. Completely clean HD
2. Install disk is it clean, no smodges, scratches or such. The 64 version
is very fussy if the above are not clean it will lock up.
3. Do you have any other OS's, like windows XP or such, if so load it you
may have a processor problem.
4. Did you know that an intel Q6600 cpu does circles around the AMD, no AMD
can compare to it. The CPU can run anything.

If this helps great. But welcome to the extremely fussy OS called Vista.
--
BABB


"shane" wrote:


i have a amd phenom quadcore cpu. will that work with 64 bit vista because i
bought vista a while ago and it keeps freezing during instalation. it is not
an upgrade. it is a newly built pc and i am putting a full version of vista
on it from nothing. what else could the problem be?

  #44 (permalink)  
Old June 20th 08, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andreas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default upgrade to 64 bit

Hi!

I'm currently running 32 bit vista. I got Vista Ultimate and I dont know how
to upgrade to 64 bit, I have a Intel Core 2 duo CPU E8500 3,16 GHz and I have
4 Gb ram. Hoping for answers!
  #45 (permalink)  
Old June 21st 08, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BobH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default upgrade to 64 bit

All good advice here, but just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you
should.

Check out your applications first - There are some that haven't been written
for 64 bit. (Regedit, ZoneLabs firewall to name but two). Of course they may
be OK now - I lost faith with them and found other solutions when they
weren't going to work with 64 bit and haven't checked back.

Bob

"guitardude" wrote:

Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am considering
upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I can. How do I find
out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS? Thanks in advance,
guitardude


  #46 (permalink)  
Old June 21st 08, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alex
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default upgrade to 64 bit



"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

Hi i was wondering if my computer ran vista 64-bit, i already have vista
home premium 32-bit
Computer specs= Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40Ghz
Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Ram: 4.00 GB ram (I scan my computer and it said it only has 2.7)
Exp Index: 5.7
I hope thats enough info.
Thank, Alex
Anything's possible, but the expense and technical knowledge required are
beyond the average user. If you have to ask, it's not for you. :-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"guitardude" wrote in message
...
Is it possible to upgrade the processor in a laptop? Thanks for all the
help,
guitardude

"JW" wrote in message
...
A 2250 is a Core Duo chip which only supports 32 bit Operating Systems.
You have to have a Core 2 Duo(note the 2 in the name) chip to support a
64 bit OS.
"guitardude" wrote in message
...
In my computer properties it says:
Genuine Intel CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz

The processor logo tag on my case says:
Intel Centrino Duo

I don't know if this is enough info or not, just let me know. thanks for
the help,
guitardude

"Dustin Harper" wrote in message
...
What processor do you have? That will tell you what it is capable of.
The Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64, and some P4's are 64 bit capable.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page


"guitardude" wrote in message
...
Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am
considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I
can. How do I find out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS? Thanks
in advance,
guitardude



  #47 (permalink)  
Old June 21st 08, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,464
Default upgrade to 64 bit

Yes.

"Alex" wrote in message
...


"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

Hi i was wondering if my computer ran vista 64-bit, i already have vista
home premium 32-bit
Computer specs= Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40Ghz
Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Ram: 4.00 GB ram (I scan my computer and it said it only has 2.7)
Exp Index: 5.7
I hope thats enough info.
Thank, Alex
Anything's possible, but the expense and technical knowledge required are
beyond the average user. If you have to ask, it's not for you. :-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"guitardude" wrote in message
...
Is it possible to upgrade the processor in a laptop? Thanks for all the
help,
guitardude

"JW" wrote in message
...
A 2250 is a Core Duo chip which only supports 32 bit Operating
Systems.
You have to have a Core 2 Duo(note the 2 in the name) chip to support
a
64 bit OS.
"guitardude" wrote in message
...
In my computer properties it says:
Genuine Intel CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz

The processor logo tag on my case says:
Intel Centrino Duo

I don't know if this is enough info or not, just let me know. thanks
for
the help,
guitardude

"Dustin Harper" wrote in message
...
What processor do you have? That will tell you what it is capable
of.
The Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64, and some P4's are 64 bit capable.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page


"guitardude" wrote in message
...
Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am
considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I
can. How do I find out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS?
Thanks
in advance,
guitardude




  #48 (permalink)  
Old June 21st 08, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Soroosh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default upgrade to 64 bit

Just check this:
Control Panel
Performance Information and Tools
View and print details

And a window will be opened It has a part same as:64-bit capable If It is
yes you can Upgrade
  #49 (permalink)  
Old June 24th 08, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default upgrade to 64 bit



"lighthousekeeper" wrote:

Most likely you have a device that causes the freezeup. Also phenom cpu's
have not so good marriage with Vista 64 bit. To help I need to know
specifics like before installing 64 was your HD cmpletely clean. If you have
a full version of 64 was the install disk completely clean ? If it's an
older version of 64 it could have very few drivers. Vista is a hungry OS.
Best bet if you have someone who has an intel 64 capable I's have them test
the disk.

1. Completely clean HD
2. Install disk is it clean, no smodges, scratches or such. The 64 version
is very fussy if the above are not clean it will lock up.
3. Do you have any other OS's, like windows XP or such, if so load it you
may have a processor problem.
4. Did you know that an intel Q6600 cpu does circles around the AMD, no AMD
can compare to it. The CPU can run anything.



yes, my hard drive was brand new and clean. im wondering if i should try the
32bit vista. the 64bit disk i had was a brand new oem disk with no scratches.
after my vista failed, i loaded a bootleg copy of xp onto the pc and that
installed fine. i think it was a 32bit. all my parts are brand new. i bought
the vista a couple months ago and had the problem then too. so it should be a
recent version. i brought the pc to a computer repair guy in town and he had
the same problem with it. it kept freezing. so i sent it bag to newegg.com
and they replied that they tested it and it worked fine even though me and
the repairman had the same freeze issue. here are the parts in my computer.
the os is Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single
Pack DVD - OEM


processor - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor

memory - A-DATA 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX Ultra Durable
II AMD Motherboard

cd drive - Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader and 12X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model
BDC-2202B (pc also gave me a message saying it wasnt a pioneer qualified
machine, whats that about?)

video card - ASUS EAH3870X2/G/HTDI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB (512MB x 2)
512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire
Supported Video Card

hard drive - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Hard Drive

i also dont have many fans, may that be the problem?
please help







 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright ©2004-2020 Vista Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.