Programs cannot connect to internet after program auto-update inVista Home

Old February 11th 08, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
[email protected]

Default Programs cannot connect to internet after program auto-update inVista Home

Hi guys,

I have been searching a solution to this problem for almost 1 month
now and nothing has solved it based from the suggestions that I saw
from other forums. To explain further my problem:..

I have 3 programs which performed auto-update and after this update,
none of them can connect to the internet anymore. My pc still can
connect to the internet except these 3 programs (utorrent, firefox,
AIM). I tried reseting tcp/ip settings (based on a forum i read from
utorrent) and resetting also my winsock configuration. Still none of
these programs performed successful connection. I also tried
connecting to other ISP so I know this is not the problem.

I have avast antivirus, windows defender, and windows firewall running
on the background (I had nortor before as a trial program but i am not
using it anymore..). I also tried disabling these 3 programs then
running the problematic programs but still problem occurs. Please, if
anyone can provide suggestion on which to check, I would be very happy
to accept them. My pc might end up as a trash if all of them auto-
update and I cant use anyone of them anymore..
Old February 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
After update you probably need to renew the exception permission through the
Firewall.
Also make sure that Norton is Uninstalled and out of the system if you do
not use it anymore.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Old July 19th 08, 11:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
pmm

Has this issue been resolved? I have two vista machines at home, one
32 Vista Business and another 64 Home Premium. On 64 some applications
insist that there is no connection to the internet: Winamp, MS Media
Player, Firefox. Other programs such as Yahoo IM, Skype, and IE connect
to the internet fine. (Each of the problem applications is checked in
the Firewall Exceptions configuration.)

I have Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 software installed. (Basically the same
setup on both machines). I have tried turning off the firewall and the
AV software, but still these applications can't connect to the internet.
In addition there are no messages in the system logs that would
indicate any problems. Through endless hours of searching on the Net I
have learned that people have same problem with various configurations
of antivirus software and firewalls. This tells that it must be
something deeper withing Vista that is causing this behavior and not
specific to any configuration of 3rd party software.

A bit of a lead:
The strange thing is that Firefox used to connect just fine from the
beggining, but I did install DivX viewer, which updated Firefox and from
this point on it does not connect to the internet. I have read on the
Winamp forums that Winamp does not connect to the internet because of
some codec problems (DivX codec being one of them). Since after
installation of DivX player, Firefox stopped working, this avenue may be
worth exploring.

Please help!

--
pmm
Old July 19th 08, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Mick Murphy

Default Programs cannot connect to internet after program auto-update

You have answered your own question!
1, Norton internet security: check exceptions in ITS firewall (you only use
one firewall, lol)
2. YOU installed DivX knowing it had problems, lol.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old July 20th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
pmm

I don't think that you have read my post carefully enough. I have an
identical setup on two machines and the 32 version has no problem. The
version of antivirus that I have does not have a firewall. I however
disable it and the firewall, again same problem occured. As
aforementioned in the previous post, other people have the same problem
on 64 bit Vista regardless of 3'rd party configuration such as antivirus
and firewall settings.

Still waiting for an informative, inteligent, and non-insulting answer.

--
pmm
Old July 20th 08, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Mick Murphy

We don't know what you problem is, as you have not included prior posts,
explaining the problem
This is a Newsgroup, and you should have continued with the original thread,
or started again explainging things!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old October 19th 09, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
drlafon

I'm having the same problem. If anyone has figured this out, let me
know.
My 64 bit IE is connecting fine but firefox and standar IE are saying
there is no connection. All settings are fine with the connection. Once
again 64bit IE has a great connection. Problem is that many other
programs try to update and can't because they are trying to connect
through one of the non-connecting browsers. Really a problem for me. All
probrams have been exempted from firewall block already.
Thanks,
Darin

--
drlafon

Old May 6th 10, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nikkalowdian

I am also having the same problem, if any one has figured something out
lease help!

Here is the scenario: on my vista computer, only certain programs are
allowed access to the connection at a time. I have full connection to
the internet with firefox, gtalk, and starcraft and i have no problems
what so ever; HOWEVER i cannot connect with itunes, aim, safari, or
starcraft 2 beta, and every time i try to it tells me something is wrong
with the connection.

I have tried disabling the firewall and nothing changed. I have changed
the exceptions in the firewall setting and nothing.

FINALLY I have gone to the 'set programs access and computer defaults'
window through the 'default programs' option in the control panel, and
everytime i changed any of the settings in this window once i pressed
'ok' they imediatly changed back to 'custom' with the same settings as
before

Please Help, i am missing out on a great game.

--
nikkalowdian