Found New Hardware - Unknown Device - Nothing Shown in Device Mana

Old February 11th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Default Found New Hardware - Unknown Device - Nothing Shown in Device Mana

Hi,

I receive a message window at Vista start-up stating that Windows has found
new hardware. The hardware is identified as unknown on the message window.

When I go to Device Manager nothing shows as being a problem. There is no
unknown device folder, nor can I find any devices which are identified as
being a problem.

If I choose to click on "Ask me again later", I actually need to click on it
7 times before the Window will close.

The system is a quad-core set up as a RAID 1.

This problem did not appear until I installed BootIt NG and reconfigured the
hard drive.

I know I can click on ignore when the message window comes up at start-up;
but, I would like to make sure I'm not ignoring a real problem.

Thanks for any help that can be shared.

Jeff
Old February 12th 08, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Jeff.

If I choose to click on "Ask me again later", I actually need to click on
it
7 times before the Window will close.

Did you recently install a 7-in-1 media card reader? A USB card reader that
supports SD, CF, Memory Stick, etc.?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old February 14th 08, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Default Found New Hardware - Unknown Device - Nothing Shown in Device

Hi R. C.,

Thanks for your reply.

No... the system has a built-in card reader that is properly recognized in
Device Manager.

What is strange is that two days ago when I opened Device Manager, there was
a category for "Storage Volume". Under that category there were seven (7)
instances of "Unknown device" and five (5) instances of "Generic volume". The
category for all 12 instances was "Storage volume".

I have restarted the system several times since I observed the Storage
Volume category. Now when I open Device Manager the category is missing.
Although it is no longer present in Device Manager, I still receive the
warning message when Windows starts that requires me to click on "Ask me
again later" seven times to clear the warning. (I am tempted to click on the
ignore option; but, I wanted to understand the problem before doing so.)

Thanks again for your help.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi, Jeff.

Old April 8th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tim

Jeff --

I recently converted one of my SATA drives (hanging off a Promise FastTek
376) to Dynamic Drive and now I am having the exact problem as you. If I go
to Device Manager and select the "Show hidden devices", the Storage Volumes
category shows up and under it, I see three "Unknown Devices" and six
"Generic Volumes".

Were you able to resolve this issue?