Viewing Hidden files and folders

Old February 13th 08, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Default Viewing Hidden files and folders

Dir /s shows the whole nine yards.

"R. C. White" wrote in message
Hi, Paul.

Now, what do you see with a simple Dir? How about Dir /a?

When I opened an Administrator:Command Prompt window and tried your
attrib -h *.* (I had to add a space after the -h, as Bob instructed.) in
my C:\Windows\System32 folder I got hundreds of lines of "Access
denied..." because I was (unintentionally) telling Vista to remove the
Hidden attribute from all those system files.

So I switched to C:\ and tried it again. This time, I got just two lines:
C:\attrib -h *.*
Not resetting system file - C:\hiberfil.sys
Not resetting system file - C:\pagefile.sys

That's because Vista was refusing to reset the Hidden attribute for those
two system files. But now there are no hidden files on C:\ and I can see
all files and folders in C:\ by using the simple Dir command.

But if I use Dir /a, the /a shows me not just files and folders, but
Junctions, too - AND those two .sys files from which Attrib wouldn't clear
the Hidden attribute. Dir shows 1 File and 12 Directories; Dir /a shows 3
files and 16 Directories, including the Recycle Bin and System Volume
Information, which don't show with the simple Dir - even after the Hidden
attribute is removed from *.*.

So, in an Administrator:Command Prompt window, cd to the folder that holds
your hidden files. Enter Dir /a. What do you see?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"PAS" wrote in message
Hello R. C. White,

I have just rebooted my computer, I have the Administrator Command Prompt
on
my screen, at this point before when I typed attrib -h*.* the screen
just
flashed, I now have text within the black screen.

There are nine lines of text all starting, Not resetting system file....

Paul

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Paul.

tried the below,

You tried WHAT below?

At what point does:
a black screen flashes onto the screen but not long enough

Step by step, HOW to you open the Administrator:Command Prompt. I do
this
often and it never just "flashes". The window stays open until I
it. And any command I run in this window "runs elevated".

In an earlier post you said:
Yes I am logged on as Administrator,

Just to be clear: Start | All Programs | Accessories, right-click on
Command Prompt, then Run as Administrator. You'll need to furnish
Administrator credentials to get past here.

Even if you are already running as AN administrator, this is what you
need
to do to open the Administrator:Command Prompt as THE Administrator. In
Vista, there really are two levels of administrator; only THIS one is
GOD.

You shouldn't really need THE Administrator credentials to run the
Attrib
command, but there may be some restrictions that you might not know
about or
might have forgotten about. But the window should stay open as long as
you
want, plenty of time to see whatever you need to see.

RC

"PAS" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

tried the below, a black screen flashes onto the screen but not long
enough
to read any thing, but still no luck in viewing the folder and its
contents.

I have retrieved the files using Search and copied them to another
folder.

I have run every type of Anti virus, Malware, Spyware program, I have
tried
all the system restores. the only other thing I can think of is
running
the
recovery program.

But any other ideas before I go for that.

Paul

"Bob" wrote:

Try this.
Open an administrator command prompt and navigate to the folder. Type
attrib -h *.* and press Enter.

Or open an administrator command prompt. Type [path] attrib -h *.*
and
press
Enter.

"Bob F." wrote in message
"PAS" wrote in message
Hello Bob F.
Yes I am logged on as Administrator, and I have followed the link
and
followed the instructions, the icons in the Control panel
disappear
briefly
when I click Apply but when I go to the folder where I know there
are
hidden
files there is nothing, If I copy this folder to an external hard
drive
and
then connect it to another computer I can view the files.
Paul

I am out of ideas. I've never had these steps fail. Maybe someone
else
can help.
Bob F.

"Bob F." wrote:

"PAS" wrote in message
Hi Bob F.
The box you indicated is greyed out.

Paul
See:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial130.html
Note items 6 and 7.
Bob F.

"Bob F." wrote:

"PAS" wrote in message
Hi Bob F.

I can not uncheck the Do Not Show Hidden files or folders it
just
highlites
the text, if I click on the line below Show hidden files and
folders
the
blue
marker moves to show it has been selected but when either I
click
apply
or
ok
I get the same result I can not view hidden files.

Ok you are about there. You are right. Just click on "Show
hidden
files
and folders" Then what I left out was:
Hit the first rectangular box, in the View Window, above that
says
"Apply
Folders".
Bob F.

Old February 13th 08, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Bob.

Dir /s shows subfolders - all the way down - so you get all files and
folders in the entire tree.

Dir c:\ /s/a is a command that I use often to see ALL files, no matter where
they are and no matter what attributes may be set. The c:\ (or other drive
letter) starts at the Root of the drive, /s shows the whole tree and /a show
all the files. Dir C:\ help*.* /s/a will show every file that starts with
"help", no matter the extension, location, attributes or anything else.
That's my "brute force" command when all else fails to find a file that I
KNOW is there...somewhere.

In Paul's case, he knows the folder name (although he hasn't told us), so he
can cd to that folder and save some time. If that doesn't work, he can
start in "\", the Root, and search the whole volume. He may have time for a
cup of coffee - or even lunch, if it's a big drive with lots of files.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

. ..

Old February 13th 08, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
PAS

Hi R. C. White and Bob,

Sorry I have taken some time in getting back to you had a few problems at
work that needed sorting out.

Yes I can see all the hidden files and folders and with the command Dir /s I
have a screen full,

Paul

"R. C. White" wrote:

[...]

. ..

Old February 13th 08, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
PAS

Hello Keith,

Sorry I do not understand, I know where the HKEY's are located and have
exported them, but what do you mean post the exports?

Every time I change the value for Hidden from (0) to (1) when I close
RegEdit it resets back to (0),

What have I done wrong.

Paul

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

Export the following two keys and post the exports

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies]

and (if it exists)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies]

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"PAS" wrote in message
Hello Keith,

Entered the Registry, found the HKEY you indicated, Made a copy of the
Registry, Hidden had the value (0), so highlited the text, Edit, Modify
and
changed the value to (1), ShowSuperHidden has the value (1), there was no
DontShowSuperHidden but there was an entry SuperHidden it has the value
(1)

I closed the registry, checked foe hidden files still nothing, went back
into Registry and the value has reset to (0).

Paul

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

Look in the registry under:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

There should be a value named 'Hidden' with a value of 1 and a value
named
'ShowSuperHidden' with a value of 1.

If these values do not exist or have different values, create/edit as
necessary.

Also check under:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]

and (if it exists)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer]

if a value named 'DontShowSuperHidden' exists, delete it.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"PAS" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

I have a number of hidden folders with different types of files on my
computer, as I know the file names I can search for them and find them,
can
then copy them to other folders and view them no problem,

If I take a file and make it hidden I can not view it. I can not view
any
hidden files including system files.

The View Folders and Files, I can not change the state to enable the
viewing
of hidden files and folders. it is as though this part has been locked
so
no
hidden files can be viewed.

I remember in the old days of Windows 98 there was a program that could
be
installed and do exactly what is happening here. But I have not
installed
any
such program here, the only recent reinstalls was Microsoft OneCare due
back up problem, but the hidden file problem started before this, and
as I
said I have tried all the system restores none of which cure this
problem
with not being able to view hidden files.

Paul

"Bob F." wrote:

Paul ... Just a couple more questions if you don't mind. Are all
these
hidden files in the same folder? You said you moved them to another
system
and you could read them. What happens if you don't move them so far,
say
another folder (out from under the one(s) you are having the problem
with) ?
Can you read hidden files anyplace on your system? Can you take a
test
file
that you can read, go to it's properties and see if you have any
(view)
control over it by turning the Hidden File, Folder View option on and
off.
How does the test file view behave? I am not sure what we a looking
for
here...but we'll know it when we see it.
Bob F.

Old February 13th 08, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

The .reg files are text files. Right-click & select 'Edit' to open in
notepad, then copy & paste into your reply.

That's characteristic of a policy to override a manual change like that --
that's why I'd like to see the reg exports.

--

"Bob" wrote:

Try this.
Open an administrator command prompt and navigate to the folder.
Type
attrib -h *.* and press Enter.

Or open an administrator command prompt. Type [path] attrib -h
*.*
and
press
Enter.

Old February 13th 08, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

"R. C. White" wrote in message
Hi, Bob.

In Paul's case, he knows the folder name (although he hasn't told us) so
he can cd to that folder and save some time.

It just occurred to me -- if he's trying to figure out temporary internet
files & didn't come out & say so, I'm gonna be mad!!

Old February 13th 08, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
PAS

Hello Keith,

No I am trying to view word and excel documents, Photos and plans, I have a
number of details that I wanted to keep away from other people viewing, when
I wanted them I just clicked on show hidden files and folders and the
documents where there, now I can not do this. They are not that sensitive
just I do not want the locals finding out prices and suppliers.

Paul

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

Hi, Bob.

Old February 13th 08, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
PAS

Hello Keith,

Hope I have done this right, here goes

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
"LogonHoursAction"=dword:00000002
"DontDisplayLogonHoursWarnings"=dword:00000001

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
"LogonHoursAction"=dword:00000002
"DontDisplayLogonHoursWarnings"=dword:00000001

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"ServerAdminUI"=dword:00000000
"Hidden"=dword:00000000
"ShowCompColor"=dword:00000001
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
"DontPrettyPath"=dword:00000000
"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000001
"HideIcons"=dword:00000000
"MapNetDrvBtn"=dword:00000000
"WebView"=dword:00000000
"Filter"=dword:00000000
"SuperHidden"=dword:00000001
"SeparateProcess"=dword:00000000
"AutoCheckSelect"=dword:00000000
"IconsOnly"=dword:00000000
"ShowTypeOverlay"=dword:00000001
"ListviewAlphaSelect"=dword:00000001
"ListviewShadow"=dword:00000001
"ListviewWatermark"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarAnimations"=dword:00000001
"StartMenuInit"=dword:00000003
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000000
"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000000
"AlwaysShowMenus"=dword:00000000
"FolderContentsInfoTip"=dword:00000001
"FriendlyTree"=dword:00000001
"ClassicViewState"=dword:00000000
"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
"ShowPreviewHandlers"=dword:00000001
"SharingWizardOn"=dword:00000001
"TypeAhead"=dword:00000000
"Start_ShowRecentDocs"=dword:00000000
"Start_TrackProgs"=dword:00000000
"Start_TrackDocs"=dword:00000000
"ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:00000000
"StartMenuAdminTools"="NO"
"StartMenuFavorites"=dword:00000000
"StartMenuLogoff"=dword:00000000
"StartMenuRun"=dword:00000001
"StartMenuChange"=dword:00000001
"CascadeControlPanel"="NO"
"CascadeMyDocuments"="NO"
"CascadeNetworkConnections"="NO"
"CascadeMyPictures"="NO"
"CascadePrinters"="NO"
"StartMenuScrollPrograms"="NO"
"IntelliMenus"=dword:00000001

Paul

Old February 13th 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_15_]

"PAS" wrote in message
news
Hello Keith,

No I am trying to view word and excel documents, Photos and plans, I have
number of details that I wanted to keep away from other people viewing,
when
I wanted them I just clicked on show hidden files and folders and the
documents where there, now I can not do this. They are not that sensitive
just I do not want the locals finding out prices and suppliers.

I haven't been following this thread so if I am out of line just ignore my
comment.
BUT! using "show hidden files and folders" to keep other from viewing your
documents is about the most insecure thing you could do.

You can password protect your Office files from within word or Excel if you
dont want others to see them. As far as your pictures and plans at least!
store them under your user name and password portect your account (wont be
100% secure but better then what your doing). Any files/folders you want
Guests or other accounts to have access to put them in the Public Documents
folder.

The best way to secure your files/folders is to use a encryption program.

Dave

Paul

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

Hi, Bob.