Is it possible to re-arrange order of photo files in Vista Photo gallery??

Old February 12th 08, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
1206nick[_3_]

Default Is it possible to re-arrange order of photo files in Vista Photo gallery??

Hello, can anyone help?

Is it possible when viewing photos in Vista photo gallery to display my
picture files in an order other than by name, date taken or file size
etc.. ie the options offered under 'the sort by' feature.

I would like to customise each folder to display the photos in an order
of my choosing but this does not appear possible for the photo gallery
in vista or the live photo library i have just downloaded and
installed.

Anyone out there know any better??

Thanks in advance.

--
1206nick

Old February 13th 08, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_15_]

"1206nick" wrote in message

Hello, can anyone help?

Is it possible when viewing photos in Vista photo gallery to display my
picture files in an order other than by name, date taken or file size
etc.. ie the options offered under 'the sort by' feature.

I would like to customise each folder to display the photos in an order
of my choosing but this does not appear possible for the photo gallery
in vista or the live photo library i have just downloaded and
installed.

Anyone out there know any better??

Thanks in advance.

1206nick
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

Have you tried adding tags to your photos then grouping by tag?

Old February 13th 08, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
sublover[_2_]

get into your Photos and put special Photos in a new Folder (Re-Name the
New Folder) and keep going on like that untill you have all your pics in
their proper folders and when you open your Windows Viewer they should
appear as you titled them you`ll have to open all your folders
separately to view them of course

--
sublover
Old February 13th 08, 08:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
1206nick[_5_]

Thanks for your replies guys...

I hadn't tagged the pics as i thought this would be as time consuming
as individually renaming and numbering each picture so that they fall
into my desired order.

I was hoping there was some speedy way I could rearrange the order of
the photos in the folder using the mouse by dragging and dropping the
photos in my own order of preference. (like what you can do in Windows
Explorer in the my pictures folder).

I'd like to do this in the Vista Photo gallery.

--
1206nick

Old February 13th 08, 11:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_15_]

"1206nick" wrote in message

Thanks for your replies guys...

I hadn't tagged the pics as i thought this would be as time consuming
as individually renaming and numbering each picture so that they fall
into my desired order.

I was hoping there was some speedy way I could rearrange the order of
the photos in the folder using the mouse by dragging and dropping the
photos in my own order of preference. (like what you can do in Windows
Explorer in the my pictures folder).

I'd like to do this in the Vista Photo gallery.

--
1206nick

I agree tagging does take time initially but a good tagging routine will in
the long run save you a lot of time.

But..........you can still use the grouping option, arrange the pictures
into your folders as your use to with windows explorer (I highly recommend
to keep all your folders under either your user picture directory OR if you
have multiple users and you want to let them have access to them store them
under the PUBLIC PICTURES directory.

Then you can now Open Photo Gallery and use the GROUP BY FOLDER option.

Also you might want to check out a dedicated photo manager program, I
personally use ACDSee http://tinyurl.com/2wg96q I jave over 7 thousand
photos and this program works fantastic for me.

Hope this helps
Dave

Old February 13th 08, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
1206nick[_6_]

Cheers DAVE, THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

I keep all my pics in the my documents pictures folder in Windows
explorer and i don't have multiple users on my PC.

In this folder I have, for example, a folder called holidays and in
this are many subfolders, eg New York, Thailand, Eygpt etc..

In explorer i can open the folder 'holidays' and then the subfolder
'Eygpt' and then arrange the pictures in a desired order of my choice.
For example put all the pictures of ancient temples at the start and
then all the pictures of the river Nile next, regardless of the names
they have or the date they were taken on. I just re arrange the files
using the drag & drop feature and realigning to the grid.

When i use the photo gallery I have very limited options to display my
photos. I will open folder 'holidays' and then folder 'Eygpt', but
unfortuantely the contents of the folder can only (as far as i can see)
be organised into an order based on name, date or size etc..

I would like them to be displayed in my personal order I organised them
into back in the original folder in explorer.
(documetspicturesholidaysEygpt Folder).
Alternatively i would want to be able to re-arrange them into this
order in the gallery if there is no function to display as they are in
the folder..

I hope this makes sense. is this what you were talking about.

Thanks again

--
1206nick

Old February 13th 08, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_15_]

"1206nick" wrote in message

[...]

I understand now what you want.........sort of arranging the pictures in
Explorer the way you want THEN doing a batch rename, I see no way you can
arrange the pictures from within Photo gallery by drag and drop.

That doesn't mean it can't be done I just don't know as I rarely use Photo
Gallery

Sorry I couldn't help more
Dave.

Old August 21st 09, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Eister

I tried too....dragged and dropped the photos in the order I wanted, but
they always revert back to their original position!
Under "sort" options I could not find a way to remove all. So the only
solution I could see was to just leave the sort by # and then name all
the files with the same name, but add a different # to each photo in the
preferred order.
Too bad they didn't allow the ability to remove all the auto sort
options...that would have solved the problem for people like me who
didn't do the original picture download correctly.

--
Eister
Old August 22nd 09, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave T.[_4_]

Eister wrote:
I tried too....dragged and dropped the photos in the order I wanted, but
they always revert back to their original position!
Under "sort" options I could not find a way to remove all. So the only
solution I could see was to just leave the sort by # and then name all
the files with the same name, but add a different # to each photo in the
preferred order.
Too bad they didn't allow the ability to remove all the auto sort
options...that would have solved the problem for people like me who
didn't do the original picture download correctly.

Not easily in photo gallery. Instead, open your picture folder in
windows explorer. You are allowed to move them around here. One way to
do it from here is to put the pics in the order you want, and then
select them all. Right click and select "rename". Give them a group
name, such as "Christmas 2008". Click OK and they will be named in the
order you put them Christmas 2008(1), Christmas 2008(2), etc.

Dave T.
Old November 11th 09, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
nesierfnews

Rearranging photos was possible in Windows XP just drag and drop,
then rename to keep them in that order in casw you choose to sort by
name. Have not found a way to do this in Vista or Windows 7 :cry:

--
nesierfnews