Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

Old July 4th 08, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
PuPp3t

Default Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

How I installled Dungeon Keeper on Vista.......1.) Make sure the Bullfrog Directory has no Dungeon Keeper II Folder before re-installing.....2.) Install DKII from original disk and Play it first before any update is applied..... It will Default @ 800x600...3.)The only update that works is the v1.30tov1.61....The v1.30tov1.70 some how must reset cfg to 640x800...Ive uninstalled and re-installed several times on a compaq w/AMD TL-60 w/Nvidia 7000m and works evey time this way...P.s> Still gotta crack 1.7....

Old December 2nd 08, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
grandia

Here is how I got Dungeon Keeper 1 working through my Vista 64bit PC:

-Note: You need a decent PC to create a virtual machine on and an
unused windows XP CD and product key.-

*1).* I Installed the windows virtual machine software.

*2).* I created a virtual machine and installed Windows XP Home
Edition SP2 on it.

*3).* I Inserted the Dungeon Keeper disk into my computer and, (on my
virtual machine) right clicked on the D: drive -- open. I then right
clicked on KEEPER95.exe, went to properties, went to the compatibility
tab and then changed it to run in compatibility mode for windows 95.

*4).* I then installed Dungeon Keeper on my virtual PC.

*5).* To make Keeper work on XP:

- Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click
OK.
- Right-click Autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
- Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click
OK.
- Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
- If asked to overwrite the file, answer Yes.
- Right-click the Autoexec.nt file that you just copied, and then
click Properties.
- Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

- -Repeat steps 1 through 7 to copy the Config.nt file.-

I hope this will assist some people in being able to play this
excellent game.

--
grandia
Old December 4th 08, 07:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
eagleheart666

'Andy [YaYa Wrote:
;663748']"fredskis" wrote in
message ...

Hi all. I have been trying to get Dungeon Keeper working with Vista

for
a couple of days.
I think I'm onto something but am not really sure what yet so just

bare
with me...

On my desktop (Vista Ultimate x64) I get the problem of DK crashing
after the splash screen with a black 640*480 box and no error

messages.
I installed it in a 98SE virtual machine using VMWare and it runs

well
except the cursor randowly snaps to edges and renders the game pretty
unplayable as selecting anything becomes a very tedious chore.
I also installed it on Microsoft Virtual PC and as on Vista it would
crash after the splash screen.
I was going to install it on an old system running Windows 98SE
natively but while doing so decided to try one last thing...
I installed DK on my laptop (also running Vista Ultimate x64) and

voila
it worked! Unfortunately the Direct3d won't work but for some reason

it
works on there.
Now for the weird part...
I brought my laptop home from my girlfriend's place and tried playing
on my desktop's monitor but got the same error of crash at splash.
Puzzled I realised that the only change was the resolution, i turned

it
back down to the laptop's 1440*900 from 1680*1050 and it worked.
Excitedly I tried this on my desktop but unfortunately it did not

work

Now the only thing I can think of being different between these two
machines other than the hardware would be Service Pack 1. However,

this
problem, as I understand, has been occurring to others since before

it
was released.

If anyone can get it running, what are their system specs?

My laptop is:
Dell Inspiron 6400
Core 2 Duo processor 2Ghz
2GB RAM
NVidia 7300Go
1440*900 resolution

Desktop:
Gigabyte EX38-DS4
Intel E6600
4GB generic RAM
NVidia 8800GTS G92
1680*1050 resolution

I can't believe so many people still play DK 1. Do you play the
Deeper Dungeons expansion?

You may be on to something with the resolution, older DirectX games
would sometimes have "trouble" changing resolutions in games. The
workaround was to set your computer to the same resolution/color depth
that the game runs in.

So if DK runs in 640x480x256 colors, set your desktop to 640x480x256
(8-bit) color, and try the game again.

Oh wait, Vista only goes down to 800x600. Well maybe DK runs in
800x600.

DOSBox buddy, a friend to classic games everywhere.

-A.

i just got an idea with the directx, it might sound dumb but here goes,
what would happen if you were to install the directx needed for the game
(the one that comes with it) v3.0?

--
eagleheart666
Old December 4th 08, 08:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
fredskis[_2_]

I never thought of that!
Try it and report back!
*crosses fingers*

--
fredskis
Old December 4th 08, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Mark

its possible but I don't think that will help, Directx checks to make sure
it doesn't downgrade during install.

sorry, i missed the first part of this, have you downloaded the Directx9
runtimes from microsoft.com? Vista only comes with Directx10 and a lot of
the older stuff is missing. To get it you have to install Directx9 (it won't
downgrade, only fill in the old pieces) go to

as an alternative to a virtual pc, as a last resort, the Microsoft
Application Compatibility Toolkit has an entry for Dungeon Keeper 1. Looking
at it, there are a bunch of post-win95 fixes. make sure you try running the
game in compatibility mode for Windows95 (right-click on keeper.exe icon in
folder, not in games-explorer. select properties, select compatibility tab,
check run in 256 colors, run in 640x480 and run in compatibility mode for
win95) .

The MACT is fairly tricky to work with but can get just about anything to
work. You might download it (free from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en) -
the compability administrator is the piece you need.

Hope that helps!
Mark

Old March 2nd 09, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
gillyhead

alfalfa_89;3783387 Wrote:
ok, i have a different problem with vista, cant seem to find many others
with this complaint. I've installed the patch, compatible XPsp2, all
that stuff... but when i go to open a campain or skirmish or pet
dungeon, the game screen is blank. i can pick up imps, if i float my
hand over an area it'll tell me if its the dungeon heart or walls or
whatever, i can select where to dig, but i cant see a thing!
Anyone know what to do?

i have the exact same problem ne solutions?

--
gillyhead
gillyhead's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gillyhead.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old March 2nd 09, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Joe[_21_]

gillyhead wrote in
:

alfalfa_89;3783387 Wrote:
ok, i have a different problem with vista, cant seem to find many
others with this complaint. I've installed the patch, compatible
XPsp2, all that stuff... but when i go to open a campain or skirmish
or pet dungeon, the game screen is blank. i can pick up imps, if i
float my hand over an area it'll tell me if its the dungeon heart or
walls or whatever, i can select where to dig, but i cant see a thing!
Anyone know what to do?

i have the exact same problem ne solutions?

Amazing how many posts I see every day about this game. Makes me wonder
why someone doesn't port it to iPhone or something. (Oh, right, EA owns
the license)

Easiest solution, install DOSBox (Google it).

You might need to tweak DOSBox a little, but if you read some of the
docs that come with DOSBox or the stuff online you'll see it's fairly
easy to setup.

Once setup install DK per the instructions that come with the game for
DOS Mode installation.

Game graphics should return. Since it's an emulator a slower system may
not run the game so stellarly.

If you want to fix the game in Windows, try updating your graphic card
drivers, and run DXWebSetup.EXE again (make sure all DirectX files are
installed).

Good luck, old game + new computer = good luck.
--
Joe
Old March 5th 09, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
EN4CER

I absolutely love Dungeon Keeper. Great game! I'm not going to ask where you
got it but I will ask if you can re-download or re-install it. What OS are
you running on? Because of my personal enjoyment from this game I would love
to help as much as possible. If you don't mind run dxdiag (start run
dxdiag) and save configuration to a file. Copy and paste that file into a
reply. DosBOX may be your only option, although I'm sure we can find a
different way.

Old May 25th 09, 04:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
tristan_list

I did not succeed in running Keeper95. Instead, I opened DOSBox,
mounted my dungeon keeper CD, and installed the dos version, all inside
the emulator. This allowed me to run the dos version, under DOSBox, and
it works fine.

If you don't have DOSBox, and you like your old games, consider getting
it because it resolves pretty much all of these kinds of compatability
issues by just generating the dos environment from scratch.

--
tristan_list