The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared!

Old February 17th 08, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rileore

Default The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared!

Hi!

The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared in Windows Vista
64bits! Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Old February 17th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob F.[_3_]

"Rileore" wrote in message
Hi!

The column bar under "My pictures" folder has disappeared in Windows Vista
64bits! Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

With an open folder window, rt click on Name,then More check the date
type you want, click OK.
Then left click on that date type you selected. Each time you click on it,
it will be selected and toggle from ascending to descending order.
Does that work for you?
BobF.

Old February 18th 08, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rileore

Hi, Bob!

The problem is: the bar in which "name" was supposed to be has disappeared!
There is no such bar or "name" in "My pictures" folder. In all other folders
the bar is there.

But thanks anyway...

Old February 18th 08, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob F.[_3_]

When you went into the options folder was there a "date" there? In fact
were there not many type of "date" options? Just select one then save and
closeout and it should then appear in your file/Folder header list. Maybe
you have to widen your window out to see it and then sort or reposition it
to where you want it.
BobF.

Old February 18th 08, 03:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Rileore.

There's no feature named "column bar" in Vista. I think what you mean are
the column headers in Windows Explorer.

The User Interface of Windows Explorer is highly customizable. But, of
course, since we CAN customize it, then we MUST customize it, unless we are
happy with the default settings.

In Vista, the designers may have gone too far with this. Explorer tries to
determine what kind of files are in each folder and choose the proper
template to display the files in that folder. The "Pictures and Videos"
template offers many (dozens!) of columns of metadata, such as Name, Date
Taken, Tags, Rating, Size, Dimensions, and others. To see the full list,
right-click on any column heading and choose More... from the context menu.

In addition to WHICH columns to display, we also can choose how wide each
column should be. The first choice is "Size column to fit". If the first
column (Name?) includes an entry with a very long name - and many picture
files do have very long filenames - then that first option may make the
column so wide that we can't see the header for the second column It may
appear that there is only a single column, especially if the Navigation Pane
(on the left) and the Preview Pane (on the right) have been toggled ON and
if the Explorer window is not maximized. In an extreme case, the column
label ("Name") may be so far from the left margin that it has disappeared
off the right side of the window. The "column bar" should still be there,
but blank, with no apparent label in it. There should be a horizontal
scroll bar at the bottom, but it is easily overlooked. This confusion can
be compounded by the choice to show Large Icons or Tiles or some other
"View", rather than Details, which we may be more accustomed to seeing.

My suggestion is to invest some time in exploring the many viewing options
for Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, the option settings are scattered in
the UI. There is a Menu Bar, but it is turned off by default; you can
toggle it on momentarily by pressing Alt, or (semi-)permanently by
clicking Organize | Layout. On this Layout menu is where you can also
toggle the Navigation, Preview and Details Panes. In addition to the Views
button on the Command Bar (where we choose Small Icons, Details, etc.),
there is also a View button on the Menu Bar.

Click this View button on the Menu Bar, then click Customize this folder...
Here you can choose the "template" for this folder. For most folders you
will want to set it to Documents or All Items, rather than the Pictures or
Music choices. You also can check the box to "Also apply this template to
all subfolders".

These settings seem quite fragile, and I have to re-set mine from time to
time. :(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old February 18th 08, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

It's a hiccup in the saved folder views. If you don't mind losing saved
views, you can use the 'Reset Folders' button on the 'View' tab of the
Folder Options dialog.

If you want to be more surgical in your approach, you need to edit the
registry. You first need to find out which numbered subkey of:

[HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

contains the saved view settings for the folder. Two ways I know of -- for
both you should have a shortcut to the folder on your desktop so you can
open & close the folder without browsing thru any others:

1) You can download Process Monitor:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx and set a
filter with the parameters: Path Includes Bags, then open & close the folder
in question and see which bag # was accessed.

2) Export the Bags keys to save your view settings, then delete it. Log off
& back on & then open & close the folder, then check via regedit to see
which Numbered key was recreated. Make a note of the number & then import
the keys you saved during the Export.

Once you have the bag number, navigate to:

[HKCU\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\92\ Shell\{B3690E58-E961-423B-B687-386EBFD83239}]

Look for the value named 'FFlags' in the right-hand pane. Open calculator
and use the view options to select 'Scientific' mode, the select 'Hex' as
the base. Enter the FFlags value, then AND it with the value FCFFFFFF.
Then edit FFlags to reflect the new value.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Old February 19th 08, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rileore

Hi, Bob!

The only solution that worked was the use of the "system restore" function
of Windows. But thanks anyway!

Old February 19th 08, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rileore

Hi, White!

You are right, I meant "column headers". But the only solution that worked
was the use of the "system restore" function of Windows. Thanks anyway!

Old February 19th 08, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Rileore

Hi, Miller!

Unfortunatelly, the solution you suggested didn't work. The only thing that

Old February 19th 08, 04:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Odd it didn't work. I can turn column headers on or off for a folder view
by manipulating the FFlags value. Glad you got it fixed tho.