Sony Laptops: 'Motion Eye' camera

Old February 22nd 08, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_3_]

Default Sony Laptops: 'Motion Eye' camera

My Sony Vaio VGN-120C has a built-in camera camera called 'Motion
Eye'.Even since I installed vista x64, the camera is useless as Sony
does not make a 64 bit driver for it.

Does anyone know who the underlying manufacturer of this camera is so I
can hopefully track down the right driver for it

thanks alot..would like to get this thing working finally!

--
colt22
Old February 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Quaoar[_2_]

colt22 wrote:
My Sony Vaio VGN-120C has a built-in camera camera called 'Motion
Eye'.Even since I installed vista x64, the camera is useless as Sony
does not make a 64 bit driver for it.

Does anyone know who the underlying manufacturer of this camera is so I
can hopefully track down the right driver for it

thanks alot..would like to get this thing working finally!

The Motion Eye camera is a Sony product. If Sony does not support x64,
you are completely, totally out of luck. There is no solution, AFIK.

Your only solution is to reinstall the original OS from either the
Recovery Partition, or from the Recovery CDs/DVD.

Sorry.

Old February 23rd 08, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I could not find your specific model number on the Sony support site.
However, according the the Sony site Sony does not recommend Windows Vista
on the VGN line. The website says (I use another model in this line that is
listed),

"Sony does not recommend or support installation of the Windows Vista
Operating System with the VGN-A130 VAIO® computer."

"This decision is based on test results generated by installing and using
the Windows Vista operating system on a VGN-A130. These results did not meet
our standards for basic functionality and support. Therefore, Sony will not
release Windows Vista compatible drivers for this model."

Models in this line date from 2003.

Restore XP to the computer to use the feature you are seeking. The
manufacturer of the camera would not have written Vista drivers for the
device either.

Old February 26th 08, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waldy

"colt22" wrote in message

My Sony Vaio VGN-120C has a built-in camera camera called 'Motion
Eye'.Even since I installed vista x64, the camera is useless as Sony
does not make a 64 bit driver for it.

Sony have the choice of paying for development to extend the life of your
old product or not paying for development of new drivers and hopefully you
will go and buy a new Sony product that is compatible. Option A costs them
money, option B could make them money. I wonder what option they will
choose?!!

Old January 18th 09, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Matt Danger

FYI: I have a VAIO VGN-CS215J. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate for
business reasons. When you change the pre-installed operating system
there is no driver available for your Motion Eye webcam. Here is the
support chat:

Jimmy_ Hi Matt. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I’m Jimmy. Please
allow me a moment to review your concern.

Jimmy_ Thanks for waiting, Matt. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you
are experiencing as the Camera is not working with the Notebook. I’ll be
happy to assist you with this concern.

Jimmy_ May I ask some question to find the cause and resolve the
issue? Thank you.

Matt Yes please

Jimmy_ As per the information available online, your Computer is
supplied with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium as the Operating
System and it is also compatible with the Windows XP Operating System.

Jimmy_ Have you changed the preinstalled Operating System to any other
Vista versions?

Matt Yes - I bought the computer yesterday. Upgraded to Vista Ultimte
this morning.

Jimmy_ I'm sorry to inform you that Sony Computers are designed
specifically to work with the Sony OEM version of Windows with which
they are shipped.

Jimmy_ *The Applications and Drivers that shipped with the computer
are designed for use with the Sony pre-installed OEM Vista version of
Windows only. They may not work under the retail Windows Vista Ultimate
environment.*Matt I need Vista Ultimate for business reasons. Is there
any other option for this webcam and the OS I am running?

Jimmy_ *Furthermore, at this moment we are not supporting the upgrade
to Windows Vista Ultimate for this model of Notebook as none of the
Vista Ultimate Drivers are released by Sony till date.*

--
Matt Danger
Matt Danger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/matt-danger.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 18th 09, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

You should allways check that drivers are available, before upgrading the
o/s, particularly if its a large OEM pc/Laptop - and of course it may
invalidate any warranty or support

Old February 25th 09, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
frickinnoob

Got it working. Finally.

Windows 7 beta, 64x

The "motion eye" is actually a ricoh device.

Found a 64 that works.

email: ricoh @ ralphg.com and I'll give you a link to the files.

--
frickinnoob
frickinnoob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/frickinnoob.htm

Old March 9th 09, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
frickinnoob[_3_]

See my post here for more info:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1135698.htm

Old June 7th 09, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
frickinnoob[_4_]

Got my motion eye working under Win7 64x.

Link below for the drivers.
I have the Vaio SZ650n/c, and all but a few keyboard hotkeys are
working.

The volume hotkeys work by default with win7. (maybe in hardware)
Brightness is available by right-clicking the battery indicator (by
clock)
or by running "windows mobility center".

Also, low level sony stuff in 64x is available he
http://www.vaio-link.com/os/vista/64bit/ (only works with firefox for
me)

For my SZ650, I had to install the SFEP and SPIC drivers to clear
device manager. I could not find hot key drivers in 64x.

Motion eye (Ricoh) drivers he
http://www.ralphg.com/public/

--
frickinnoob
frickinnoob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/78558.htm

Old July 2nd 09, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jawhitmoyer

I used the drivers for my VGN-SZ680 running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
Thanks, Ralph. I have been searching like crazy.

--
jawhitmoyer
jawhitmoyer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110874.htm