windows vista 32bit realtek driver will not install

Old February 22nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Drsonic

Default windows vista 32bit realtek driver will not install

i have sound but no microphone and realtek audo driver 6280 will not install
Old February 22nd 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dwarf

Hi Drsonic,

First things first. I am assuming that you have got the right driver. This
driver, 6280_Vista_APO, is intended for the AC'97 codec. I use this driver,
and have had no problems with it. The procedure that I use is as follows.
Firstly, download the driver from the website and SAVE it to my downloads
folder. Note that I recommend that everything is downloaded from the web and
then run on the local machine - I never run anything directly from a website
itself. Next, because the download is in compressed form, right click on the
downloaded folder 6280_Vista_APO (it has a zip on it) and select 'Extract
All...'. Accept the default destination for the extracted folder. This folder
is also called 6280_Vista_APO, but this time the folder does not have a zip
on it. Open this folder and browse the contents until you come across the
application file 'setup'. It is this 119KB file that you run to install the
driver. Note that you will need to provide administrative credentials for
this, and that I recommend that you restart your machine when the
installation has finished even if you aren't prompted to do so. Another
recommendation that I have is to make a copy of all your downloaded drivers
and put them on a removeable drive to save you the hassle of downloading them
again should you need to reinstall Vista at some stage.
Dwarf

Old June 8th 09, 06:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ladybiker25

I have followed all the above steps. When I click on the file 'setup',
it prompts me for credentials. After entering them I feel a moment of
sucess as it begins to install. Then windows security pops up telling
me that it cannot recognize the source of this download. It gives me
the option to 1. Discontinue Download or 2. Allow download from
uncertified location. I choose to continue the set up, however it just
pops back to the option to Discontinue Setup or Allow Setup until I am
finally forced to x out. I have turned off all of my security (that I
am familiar with- ie: Symantic and the Windows Security Center). Can
you tell me what I am doing wrong? I am downloading directly from the
Realtek website. Any help would be terrific. I am not a computer guru.
My husband is great with computers, but he is in Iraq.... Thanks

--
ladybiker25

Old June 9th 09, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

[...]

I'm a little confused... you went from click on file 'setup' then you say
things that make me think you are still in the process of downloading the
files from the Realtek website and haven't downloaded the files yet.

So I will ask, did you get the files off of Realtek's website? You can't be
running setup if you haven't downloaded the files, yet.

Old June 9th 09, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_3_]

Tae Song wrote:

[...]

Unless retrieving pertinent files from a server site are part of the
"setup" process......I've personally run into the situation before where
a "setup" file is downloaded from a web site and once initiated (run),
it makes a connection to download other file(s), presumably from a
ftp/update server. Once the files have been downloaded, the "setup"
resumes from where it left off and finishes installing the relevant
files etc. IIRC, installing the Sun Java used this method at one time
(haven't a clue if they still do). Whether or not this is the case with
respect to the Realtek driver download process, again, I haven't a clue! ;-)

Old June 9th 09, 02:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

"propman" wrote in message
Tae Song wrote:

[...]

I have both Realtek audio and network devices (on several different
motherboards, infact), so I can tell you from experience they do not offer
the kind of driver install you describe.

It's strictly download and install software/drivers in either zip or
self-extracting and run setup.

Old June 9th 09, 03:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ladybiker25

I have a HP Pavillion m7750n Vista. I was trying to install the Realtek
AC'97 Audio Codecs. I am honestly not sure if this is the right one for
my computer. I am feebly trying to troubleshoot. Here is my issue. I
am unable to hear my microphone on my computer... for yahoo messenger,
skype, etc. The computer is recognizing it and telling me that it the
microphone volume is quiet and others may not be able to hear me. I
went through the sounds set up... it is stating that the microphone is
operational, but it does state that my sound is weak. My computer
speakers are working fine. I looked on the control panel and I do not
see a sound driver installed. My assumption is that the microphone
needs the sound driver to work. The microphone is not muted and it is
definately an operational microphone as I have tried 2 brand new desktop
microphones and a brand new headset with microphone. Thanks

--
ladybiker25
Old June 9th 09, 04:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tae Song

"ladybiker25" wrote in message

I have a HP Pavillion m7750n Vista. I was trying to install the Realtek
AC'97 Audio Codecs. I am honestly not sure if this is the right one for
my computer. I am feebly trying to troubleshoot. Here is my issue. I
am unable to hear my microphone on my computer... for yahoo messenger,
skype, etc. The computer is recognizing it and telling me that it the
microphone volume is quiet and others may not be able to hear me. I

This means your sound driver is working. No need to install the Realtek
AC`97 Audio Codec, it's already installed and working.

went through the sounds set up... it is stating that the microphone is
operational, but it does state that my sound is weak. My computer
speakers are working fine. I looked on the control panel and I do not
see a sound driver installed. My assumption is that the microphone
needs the sound driver to work. The microphone is not muted and it is
definately an operational microphone as I have tried 2 brand new desktop
microphones and a brand new headset with microphone. Thanks

--
ladybiker25

To access the microphone volume control...

Right-click Speaker icon next to clock at the lower right corner of the
screen.

Select Recording Devices

Select Mic in at rear panel (Pink)

Hit Set Default button (greyed out if already set as default device for
recording)

Hit Properties button

Select Levels tab

Slide Mic in at rear panel (Pink) to 100 (how loud you want sound pick up on
the mic to sound)

Slide Microphone Boost to +20.0 dB (how sensitivity you want the mic to be)

Speak into the microphone.

Adjust as needed.

Hit OK button to close box

Hit OK button on Sound box to close.

Test microphone on Yahoo Messenger, Skye, etc.

Old June 9th 09, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

If your speakers are working your audio driver is installed. Go into the
audio settings and turn up the Mic volume, also make sure your plugged into
the correct jack on the computer (usually pink)