Installed RAM.. now blue screen?

Old February 23rd 08, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_4_]

Default Installed RAM.. now blue screen?

I upgraded from 2GB DDR2-SDram to 4 gb (2) DDR2-SD RAM. Now everytime I
start my computer I get the blue screen for a split second, the the
computer reboots itself. It does this about 3 times untill it finally
boots up. when it boot up everything is totally normal.

anyone know why im having this problem??

--
colt22
Old February 23rd 08, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Remove the new memory and see if you can start normally. If so, the new
memory may not be the right memory to match what's installed in your system
now, the new memory may be faulty, or your hardware (motherboard) cannot
properly support 4gb of memory.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old February 24th 08, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Lechmanik

I'm going to assume that you have installed the 4gig hotfix. Take a look
here....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

--
John

To reply direct, remove the REMOVEME in the signature.

Old February 24th 08, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

If you are using pc6400 reduce the dram speed to 667 and it should work. It
is a well-known problem with some consumer mobos.

Old February 24th 08, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dwarf

Hi colt22,

Check your motherboard manual. Although many motherboards can support this
amount of RAM, some can only support it if it is run at a lower speed,
especially if all the DIMM slots are populated. This is because, at the
higher speeds, the difference in electrical path length to the different
modules can have a significant effect which exceeds system tolerances.
Reducing the memory speed can eliminate this problem. In some cases, a BIOS
upgrade may be required, although if your system is working satisfactorily
either at a lower RAM speed or with the lower amount of RAM then I might be
inclined to leave it as it is because upgrading your BIOS is a risky business
which can leave you with a dead motherboard.
Dwarf

Old February 25th 08, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_5_]

Hey, appericate the replies guys! and yeah, ive applied the hot fix.

The problem seems random, it happens 2\3 boots. The blue screen doesnt
last long enough to give me a chance to read it before the comp reboots.
THe comp reboots about 5 times before it finally goes.

so RAM, I installed the EXACT same ram as before, except changed it
from 2 sticks of 1gb to 2 sticks of 2gb. The ram is Transcend PC5300 667
DDR2-SD- an the timing is exactly the same as the old ram (5-5-5-15), as
well as the voltage.
I put in the old ram and everything worked fine again. IT seems to be
this new ram causing the problem but I cant undertstand why, could It be
my BIOS?

I am running x64 Ultimate on a sony vaio VGN-CR120

--
colt22
Old February 25th 08, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_7_]

KB929777

Can someone please host this file so I can download it privately..
thank you

--
colt22
Old February 25th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Lechmanik

It sounds like you are almost there in figuring this out. If you think it
is the ram, have you tried using Memtest to check? If it is the RAM itself,
a simple test will now solve it and you can hopefully take it back. Now if
the RAM passes the test......

Old February 27th 08, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_8_]

HEy guys, so I managed to get a glimpse of what the blue screen showed.

IRQL_LESS THAN OR EQUAL

everything ive tried with the ram has not solved the problem so far

any other suggestions?

--
colt22
Old March 1st 08, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
colt22[_11_]

bump

--
colt22