assigning midi devices

Old February 23rd 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
addajio

Default assigning midi devices

Previous versions of Windows [god bless 'em] provided a list of Midi devices
usually under a tab in the control panel under "Sound settings and devices"
or something similar - where do I assign a different Midi device to say, the
Media Player in Vista?
Thanks, Tony
Old February 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
daveym69

The registry value MidiOutId in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\d evenum\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default
MidiOut Device\ needs to be set to the MidiOutId (DWORD) of the device
you want. All your devices will have their own keys in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\d evenum\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}.
Find the device you want and check its MidiOutId and put that value in
the Default MidiOut Device\MidiOutId value.

If you're bothered about editing the registry I've created a small
program (Midi Device Picker) that will list your devices and set the
selected one to be the default (Attached).

You will need to close any player (WMP etc) and reopen for the change
to take effect.

Old February 26th 08, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
addajio

Davey...thanks for your reply. I'm new to the VISTA discussion group, but I
didn't find the attachment anywhere - I signed in, saw the description of it,
but nothing
clickable...tried to mail you but was returned "undeliverable".
Sorry if I'm in error - Tony

Old February 26th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
daveym69[_2_]

Wierd - can see it clearly here and the link works

Anyhow 'Here's'
(http://www.davemeadowcroft.co.uk/midi_device_picker.zip) a link to it
on my server. I'll leave it up until either you let me know you got it
OK or for a couple of days.

--
daveym69

Old March 1st 08, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
daveym69[_3_]

Hi Tony, did it work OK for you?

Can you edit your last post and remove the link to my site (it got
included because 'Quote mesage in reply' was checked)?

Thanks

--
daveym69

Old March 4th 08, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
addajio

Davey, I've been trying to respond for days, but the reply window would never
open - I signed out and then in and finally broke thru...Microsoft :{
....Vista:{ .
The program does not show ANY Midi devices, Windows or mine. I am even
running Midi files as I use it - all Midi devices work, none show up. Does
the program need to be run from a particular folder?

This forum does not allow edits once you post [found it repeatedly in the
Help file - sorry].
Thanks for trying - Tony

Old May 21st 08, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
re_pgc

Before trying to fix the registry. Rrun ANY cakewalk midi software and
then select MIDI in/out ports t a midi interface, then close cakewalk.

*Now the registry entries are there. you can fix the default midioutid
for WMP*

Sorry not clean solution but works.

Old May 21st 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
daveym69[_4_]

No, no particular folder. It appears to work on some systems but not
others :-s
I'm investigating some deeper control using winmm.lib rather than the
registry but struggling to make the changes persist after the program
closes. Unfortunately there seem to be no resources I can find that
specifies how Windows actually controls these devices within the OS.

I'll keep at it until it's sorted!

--
daveym69

Old August 1st 08, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Qttoking

Thanks for this great first step!!!
Now I can choose the midi output that I want but, Where are the
"properties tab" to configure (like in xp)

Thanks again

--
Qttoking