adminpak.msi for Vista?

Old September 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

Default adminpak.msi for Vista?

I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it
removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD
admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to actually
set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools installed to
administer the other domain. Is there any other way?

Old September 21st 06, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Tom Ziegmann

Currently the only way to get the Server 2003 adminpak to work on Vista is
to modify the MSI file. If you search Google you can find the directions.

BTW..after RTM, Microsoft is going to work on an AdminPak for Vista.

--
Tom Ziegmann
Microsoft Certified Professional
- wrote in message ...
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it
removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD
admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to
actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools
installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?

Old September 26th 06, 11:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Keith

- wrote in message ...
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and it
removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get AD
admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to
actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools
installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?

You do not want to upgrade windows XP to Vista RC1 unless you have a whole
in the head. Get a used 2.0 GHz computer w/ 512 MB and 128 MB ATI or Nivida
card to test run it on. I picked one up for $100 used.

Old September 27th 06, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Rock

"Keith" wrote

- wrote in message ...
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and
it removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to get
AD admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is to
actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools
installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?

You do not want to upgrade windows XP to Vista RC1 unless you have a whole
in the head. Get a used 2.0 GHz computer w/ 512 MB and 128 MB ATI or
Nivida card to test run it on. I picked one up for $100 used.

Why not? Care to explain your reasoning? You buy a used computer, so
install XP on that and upgrade it. I don't understand the connection you're
making between upgrading XP and getting another computer.

--
Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

Old September 29th 06, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Rock" wrote in message
"Keith" wrote

- wrote in message ...
I want to upgrade my WinXP Pro to Vista RC1, but I tested in the lab and
it removes the Admin tools. I have a 2000 AD. The only way I know to
get AD admin tools (AD Users and computers, AD Sites/Services, etc.) is
to actually set up Longhorn Server, the make it a DC, then use the tools
installed to administer the other domain. Is there any other way?

You do not want to upgrade windows XP to Vista RC1 unless you have a
whole in the head. Get a used 2.0 GHz computer w/ 512 MB and 128 MB ATI
or Nivida card to test run it on. I picked one up for $100 used.

Why not? Care to explain your reasoning? You buy a used computer, so
install XP on that and upgrade it. I don't understand the connection
you're making between upgrading XP and getting another computer.

--
Rock [ MVP User/Shell]

Because one should never upgrade their main machine (the one with important
data) to a beta, especially a beta operating system.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old September 30th 06, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Rock

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
"Rock" wrote in message
"Keith" wrote

- wrote in message ...
[...]

Frank I understand that. But he didn't clarify it. His statement, without
any clarification, makes no sense. The OP was talking about a test
environment.

--

Rock [ MVP User/Shell]