A Windows Vista forum. Vista Banter

Welcome to Vista Banter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to ask questions and reply to others posts, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Home » Vista Banter forum » Microsoft Windows Vista » Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 24th 08, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 26th 08, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
MC360[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

On Feb 24, 3:46 pm, wrote:
Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?


Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still doesn't give me the
authority to change anything.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 6th 08, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
TCT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution???

"MC360" wrote:

On Feb 24, 3:46 pm, wrote:
Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?


Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still doesn't give me the
authority to change anything.

  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 9th 08, 07:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Russellz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

I have a similar problem with Windows/XP.

If I select 'My Computer' and double click the second hard drive I get
"Access Denied". I can't find the blocker. No problem with the first hard
drive.

However, if I select 'Start', 'Run' and 'Browse', I can browse the drive
easily. Also, no problem if I access from an application such as Word or if I
access from the network.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 11th 08, 05:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
MC360[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

On Mar 5, 8:16 pm, TCT wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution???

"MC360" wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:46 pm, wrote:
Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?


Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still doesn't give me the
authority to change anything.


Well......I have restored access to "D drive". The solution......no
clue. I haven't done anything I didn't try before. Actually I had
given up on it for a while but decided one day to see if more
repetitive tinkering would end in the same failure as before...this
time it WORKED!!!!! Why it worked this time and not the 20 previouse
attempts I can not say. For something that should be pretty straight
fwd & logical...my gut feeling is that its a Vista issue. Perhaps one
of the recent updates solved the problem? conclusion....No clue.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 14th 08, 06:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
MC360[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

On Mar 10, 11:31 pm, MC360 wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:16 pm, TCT wrote:



I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution???


"MC360" wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:46 pm, wrote:
Well trying to secure some files on a 2nd drive (D drive). I had set
it up to block access to everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can't access the files on the
drive. I get a message " D:\ is not accessible", "Access is
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change the D drive security settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of the drive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still denied access. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?


Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still doesn't give me the
authority to change anything.


Well......I have restored access to "D drive". The solution......no
clue. I haven't done anything I didn't try before. Actually I had
given up on it for a while but decided one day to see if more
repetitive tinkering would end in the same failure as before...this
time it WORKED!!!!! Why it worked this time and not the 20 previouse
attempts I can not say. For something that should be pretty straight
fwd & logical...my gut feeling is that its a Vista issue. Perhaps one
of the recent updates solved the problem? conclusion....No clue.


Oh...as I play this Vista game once more....I am now once again denied
access to drive D, which I had full access to for the last 4 days now,
including this morning. So back to more pointless tinkering and
waisting my time with Vista issues since they wont just fix
themselves...do they?
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 15th 08, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
MC360[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

On Mar 5, 8:16 pm, TCT wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution???

"MC360" wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:46 pm, wrote:
Well trying to secure some files on a 2nddrive(Ddrive). I had set
it up to blockaccessto everyone but me (the administrator). Now even
while logged on as the administrator I can'taccessthe files on the
drive. I get a message "D:\ is not accessible", "Accessis
denied"?????? What is up with that? So I tried to do a system restore
but without getting into pointless details on that, it didn't work. So
Trying to change theDdrivesecurity settings back to default I go
into Properties, Security, advanced, everything appears to look good
as the administrator is set to have "full control" of thedrive. I
tried a few other logical options on there but nothing has
changed.Administrator is still deniedaccess. So now that logic
doesn't work, what now?


Update...I tried logging in as God but thats still doesn't give me the
authority to change anything.



Well...I found a solution to the problem. Disable the User Account
Control (UAC) feature.See the attached link for details. Not the
perfect fix but its a start.
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 17th 08, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
help123
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?


Hey Man

I am not sure exactly what you did , but I went into properties of
accounts and in security tab I make changes in the access to drive then
when I logged back it said to me Access Denied on c drive even though I
was administrator.

Now what I did was , I restarted my windows went into safe mode i.e by
pressing F8 key before windows normal startup screen appears then I run
(run command from start) on run I typed regedit then went to EDIT menu
top next to File menu then in permissions I add one user (in my case I
had guest user already on so I put that user and give all access to that
user) after that I run win vista in normal mode and went to guest
account and right click on C drive which said Access Denied then in
properties , then security and then finally clicked on Authenticated
Users and click edit to make changes and allow all the features then it
said me access denied or can't do it I continue to press (continue
comand) as many times it came then finally I logged into my original
administrator account and got access to my drive and every thing was
back to normal.

I hope it will work for u too I was too frustrated but thank to God it
worked.


--
help123
------------------------------------------------------------------------
help123's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/help123.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...ion/920532.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 20th 08, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
LadyDaisy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?

I finally just turned of UAC. I could not even delete my own favorite
folders I had made myself or organize them.

"help123" wrote:


Hey Man

I am not sure exactly what you did , but I went into properties of
accounts and in security tab I make changes in the access to drive then
when I logged back it said to me Access Denied on c drive even though I
was administrator.

Now what I did was , I restarted my windows went into safe mode i.e by
pressing F8 key before windows normal startup screen appears then I run
(run command from start) on run I typed regedit then went to EDIT menu
top next to File menu then in permissions I add one user (in my case I
had guest user already on so I put that user and give all access to that
user) after that I run win vista in normal mode and went to guest
account and right click on C drive which said Access Denied then in
properties , then security and then finally clicked on Authenticated
Users and click edit to make changes and allow all the features then it
said me access denied or can't do it I continue to press (continue
comand) as many times it came then finally I logged into my original
administrator account and got access to my drive and every thing was
back to normal.

I hope it will work for u too I was too frustrated but thank to God it
worked.


--
help123
------------------------------------------------------------------------
help123's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/help123.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...ion/920532.htm

http://forums.techarena.in


  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 9th 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
avares
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Vista Administrator has "access denied" to 2nd hard drive?


You have to give "yourself" permission to see the second hard drive,

Do the following, I just copied and pasted from the link
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/...p_system_file/

First you will need to access an elevated command prompt, to do this:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Click All Programs.

3. Go into Accessories.

4. Right-click on Command Prompt.

5. Select Run as administrator.

6. When the UAC Prompt appears, click Continue.

Once you have your elevated command prompt, follow these steps:

For our example, we are going to use the Bubbles screensaver file
(Bubbles.scr)

1. At the command prompt, input takeown /f filepath (takeown /f d.

2. Press Enter on the keyboard.

3. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

4. Now input icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f (icacls d: /grant
avares:f).

5. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

You will now be able to modify or replace the file. When you are done,
simply remove the permissions to keep the file secure.


--
avares
------------------------------------------------------------------------
avares's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/avares.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-adm...ion/920532.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2017 Vista Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.