Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic

Old February 25th 08, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
cacruiser

Default Upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home Basic

I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic pre-installed. I want to
upgrade to Vista Business. The system easily meets the min specs. Will I
have to track down drivers for this change or should Business have enough
included? I understand that at the least I will have to do a Clean Install.
Has anyone done this type of change?
Old February 26th 08, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mick Murphy

Basic Home and Home Premium are not an upgrade path to Business.
You back up your data, delete the existing vista partition, format, and do a
compleate clean install

Before you do this, make sure that your laptop has at least 1Gig of RAM, and
128MBs of Graphics, and that is the bare minimum!

What are your system specs?
You don't get high-end hardware specs with Vista Basic.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old February 26th 08, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
cacruiser

Mike,

Your response is great. I was pretty sure that was what was needed. The
specs on the laptop aOperating System C1 2

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (32-bit version)
Processor and Chipset3

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T2330
1.60GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB

Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset
Memory4

Configured with 1024MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be
occupied). Maximum capacity 2048MB
Hard Disk Drive5

120GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
Fixed Optical Disk Drive6

DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (16x),
DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD-RW
(6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD+RW (8x),
DVD-RAM (5x)
Display7

15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native
resolution (WXGA)
Native support for 720p content
Graphics8

Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-251MB dynamically
allocated shared graphics memory
NOT a high-end machine, but I am going to add another Gig of RAM before I do
the clean install.

Do you know if there will be any SATA drive issues? The windows
compatibility chart shows that the hard drive "Will work with Vista". Which
it certainly does with Home Basic.

Old February 26th 08, 07:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mick Murphy

You have onboard(or shared) Graphics(not a seperate Graphics Card), which
means that if you allocate 128-256MBs to graphics, it comes out of your RAM,
that is out of the 1024MBs that you have now.

There is room on your MOBO to add another 1024Mbs RAM; so, for the above
reasons, definitely add it!

As you are installing you will be asked for SATA drivers; they should be on
your MOBO drivers disk, if you got one from Toshiba, or at toshiba site..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old September 6th 08, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Homebusiness1

Can any tell the difference between Windows Vista and windows XP.Which
is user friendly software.

--
Homebusiness1
Homebusiness1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/homebusiness1.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 6th 08, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Bruce Chambers

Homebusiness1 wrote:
Can any tell the difference between Windows Vista and windows XP.Which
is user friendly software.

What's changed from Windows XP?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...073611033.mspx

Compare Editions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Old May 16th 10, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
silversolver

Believe it or not, I actually figured out a way to do this without a
clean install. It is possible, just not the obvious way. Microsoft wants
to sell Ultimate Edition upgrades, so they made it so that practically
the only easy upgrades were to ultimate. You have to fool around with
your registry a little first to upgrade to Vista Business. If you don't,
you'll run the installation, and the upgrade option will be disabled,
even from within Windows.

NOTE THAT SERVICE PACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO VISTA SETUP! Unlike XP,
which didn't care whether you upgraded or downgraded with a repair
installation, Vista requires that you install with the same Service Pack
on the Disc as the installation being repaired ("upgraded") and will not
allow you to do it otherwise. This can probably be gotten around with
some registry fiddling, too, but I actually wouldn't recommend it unless
you're a real glutton for punishment. Something will likely break if you
try. The Service Packs can be uninstalled if need be, or you can use
vLite to make a Vista install disc that has the proper Service Packs
included.

Attached you'll find a .reg file I used to make this happen. It was
ripped off of a Dell laptop with Vista Business SP1 on it, and the
non-mini version includes the SP1 information. The "mini" version is the
one I'd suggest you use, as I stripped out everything but the part that
will change the information about the edition. However, USE THESE AT
YOUR OWN RISK. If these files, which worked for me, mess something up
for you, that's your problem.

Here's how to upgrade to Vista Business from Vista Home:

1. MAKE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. If something goes wrong, you don't want
to be unable to undo your changes.

2. You apply the registry mod, and reboot. You won't see a visible
change yet. The boot screen will still say home. However, if you look at
the "System" page in the Control Panel, you'll see that the key has been
changed, and you have "3 days left" before activation throws a fit.
Don't bother trying, it won't activate. It's an OEM pre-activated key
that only works on the machine it came from. Weirdly, even this page
will likely still say "Home" edition. However.......

3. Now when you put the setup disc in, and run Setup from within
Windows, Setup will be fooled into thinking that the current
installation is Vista Business, and the "Upgrade" option will be
available! And, I might also mention, assuming there's nothing wrong
with your installation, if you click on "Upgrade," it upgrades! That
allows you to keep your programs, documents, settings, and DRIVERS. It
will take a few hours, but just let it go......if all goes well, you'll
end up with a machine that is exactly as it was, but is now running
Vista Business instead of Vista Home.

Please reply if this works for you. I presume most of the people who
would try this have moved on to 7 by now, but if you get some use out of
this info, please let me know! I spent a lot of time banging my head
against the wall to figure this out. I hope it helps someone.

|Filename: Vista Business SP1 32bit Registry Hijack.reg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19441|

silversolver