Spooler SubSystem App

Old February 28th 08, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
sawdustar

Default Spooler SubSystem App

Looks like there are MANY of us with the very same problem. I've been
researching this "little" issue and it appears to be effecting HUNDREDS
of Vista users causing tempers to flair and the demand for a Mac to be
in the increase.

I'm having the exact same problem. Spooler SubSystem App has
Stopped...blah, blah, blah.....This never happened with XP. How can
something so simple become so broken?? :sarc:

One would think that Microsoft would deeply research this very issue
and post its resolution so the fix can be spread amongst the customer
base and bring happiness once again to the user community. I for one,
would LOVE to have this little problem solved....AND....to be able to
easily share a printer with my kids new desktop machine running Vista
Home Premium. Printer Sharing was a LOT easier with XP Pro. Whatever
country got the job to write the code for the print part of Vista,
didn't get their homework done on time.
Now there's just hundreds of Vista customers that are getting fed up
with this type of problem.

I have new computers, mine and my kids PC. Dell machines, 4GB of
memory, 2.1GHz Dual Core, 500GB Raid....only difference is I'm running
Vista Business (32 bit) and they are running Vista Home Premium.

So......how about a solution to this problem? Please??

--
sawdustar
Old February 29th 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

What was the Adobe update for?
Drivers can corrupt the memory of the process they are run in resulting in
that process terminating.

The command prompt needs to be run as administrator, that why you are
getting the access denied error.

You will need to delete the drivers corrupting the spooler memory.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thanks for your help in this. I trust that we are making progress.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Launch the event viewer to view the application and system events. It's
in
Admin tools

Okay, I found it. I looked in the system and application events and I did
not find anything that appears out of place except for the print spooler
suddenly terminating three times and Windows attempting to restart it
twice.
I did eliminate the Adobe update, since that actually came a few hours
later
the same day. Let me know if there is something in particular I should be
looking for.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

net start spooler

Are there any errors or does the spooler start successfully? The spooler
does pause about a minute before loading all the driver data.

Yes, I immediately got an error message:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

also verify that there are no pending print jobs located in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

I verified that folder is empty.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Are there any system or application events when the spooler
terminates.

I am not certain what you are asking, but I think the answer is "No".
Each
time I start my machine, as it boots I get the error message:

"Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"

This also happens when I manually restart the Print Spooler Service
after
about one minute. This problem just came up one morning for no
apparent
reason. The only change of which I am aware was an update from Adobe
Reader.
I have tried uninstalling Adobe Reader, but it did not help the
problem.
checked the Windows update schedule, but the only updates that occurred
at
the time this problem began were Defender definition updates. I also
tried a
System Restore twice, but each time it failed when trying to restore
the
registry.

Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Boba,

I have removed my printer, following the procedure from the KB
article,
but
I cannot get the print spooler to function. I start it in services,
but
after a minute or so it crashes. So I cannot reinstall the driver
for
my
printer. I do not have the LexBCE Server installed and there are no
dependencies listed for Print Spooler (other than DCOM Process
Server
Launcher).

It seems like the Print Spooler is corrupted. How can I
repair/restore
the
print spooler in Vista Home Premium? I found the KB article for XP,
but I
don't think that would work with Vista since the installation
procedure
is
very different.

"Boba & Ilinka" wrote:

On the site mention in your post go only to register and remove
your
printer. Reinstall drivers for the printer. Go to the acro reader
and
set
printer so that it print acro document as an image.
It worked for me.

Boba Vankufer

"Eddie" wrote in message
I need some help, please. I am running Vista Home Premium
(32-bit).
been
receiving an error message each morning when I turn on my machine
"Spooler
SubSystem App stopped working and was closed". My local printer
does
not
work, nor can I print across my LAN. I wrote a question about
this
before
and received a suggestion to try this:

But that did not help the problem. I also tried a system restore
before
the time the printer problem occurred, but it failed twice when
it
came
point of restoring the registry. The only thing that happened to
my
machine
at the time of the spooler failure was an update to Adobe Reader,
so
also
tried uninstalling that, but still no success. I am at wit's end
and I
really need to be able to print (for preparing my taxes). Can
anyone
help?

Old February 29th 08, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

You will need to delete the drivers corrupting the spooler memory. Be sure
to launch any driver uninstall utilities as administrator. When the spooler
won't run long enough to delete the drivers, you'll need to remove the
drivers from the registry so the spooler will not load them and terminate.

If you are experiencing a spooler service failure with drivers that are
included in Vista please give the driver name.

thanks

Old March 1st 08, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
sawdustar[_2_]

Hey Alan,

This never happened until Adobe pushed out an update to Adobe Reader
release 8. That's when things went really bad for many people.

--
sawdustar
Old March 3rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Alan,

I appreciate all the help. I am sorry about the delay in replying. I did
not get the E-mail notification of your response this time.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

What was the Adobe update for?

It was just an update for Adobe Reader from version 8.1.1 to 8.1.2. But it
came a few hours after this problem began showing up, so I am pretty certain
that we can eliminate it as a source of the problem.

Drivers can corrupt the memory of the process they are run in resulting in
that process terminating.

The command prompt needs to be run as administrator, that why you are
getting the access denied error.

I am the only user on this machine, so I assume that my account has all
admin priviledges. Even the guest account is turned off. Yet I am still
getting the error 5 message with access denied when I try to start the
spooler. When I try to stop it, I do not get the error message or access
denied, but it tells me that the spooler service is not running (which of
course it isn't). It does tell me to type net helpmsg 3521 for more
information. When I do I get the message:

The *** service is not started.

You will need to delete the drivers corrupting the spooler memory.

I followed the process he described, which is similar to one found in one of
the KB articles. The only difference is that I apparently read the KB
article wrong and deleted the "version-3 registry key" itself instead of the
sub-keys only. Thankfully I did back up that key previously before deleting
it, so I was able to restore it and then delete only the subkeys this time.
I also deleted the XPS Document Writer subkey. I did not use the
cleanspl.exe tool from 2003 Resource kit since I am running Vista. But if
you think I should download that and try it then I will do that next.

I still am getting the error message when I start Vista or try to manually
start the spooler. This is quite frustrating, but I assume there is a
solution.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Old March 5th 08, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

To launch the command prompt elevated

All Programs
Accessories
Command Prompt Right click
Run as administrator

Allow

now at the prompt type
net start spooler

--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Old March 5th 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the explanation of elevated command prompt. I was able to start
the spooler service from the command prompt. But after about one minute I
received the error message again and the spooler closed. I also tried
starting and then immediately stopping the service from the command prompt
which worked successfully. But when I tried to start the spooler and then
open the printer folder, it crashed again. I guess this is probably as
frustrating to you as it is to me. I appreciate your time and effort in
helping me through this.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Old March 5th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Great. one step closer. I wanted to confirm that the spooler did not throw
an error during initialization to the service control manager.

Let me make this assumption: You have a 32 bit OS and you have removed any
print vender specific software installed using a vendor provided tool or
Add/Remove Software.

Now, what print drivers, print processors, and monitors are installed on the
system? Right click the keys and you can select "Copy Key Name"

print drivers (there should be a directory and major, minor values here).
There should not be a Version-2 key under drivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

print processors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors

monitors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors

You said you had already deleted the printers under this key, please verify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers

does the machine have any printer connections? Are there any entries listed
here?
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers

--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Old March 5th 08, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
tm060101

Try to remove or delete all the program permissions listed on the
firewall software that you are using and try to uninstall the printer
driver and restart the computer. After doing it, reinstall the printer
driver and allow all the programs that your firewall software will ask
you if you want to block it or allow it to run in your system and try
printing again. If this will not work call your computer vendor for them
to help you restore your computer to factory setting and install the
printer driver again.

--
tm060101
Old March 6th 08, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Dear Alan,

Great. one step closer. I wanted to confirm that the spooler did not throw
an error during initialization to the service control manager.

Fantasic. I was worried we were not getting any closer to a solution.

Let me make this assumption: You have a 32 bit OS and you have removed any
print vender specific software installed using a vendor provided tool or
Add/Remove Software.

Yes, I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

No, I had not yet uninstalled the printer software, but I have now. I was
not able to uninstall the printer driver software through Add/Remove because
it said it was already uninstalled.

Now, what print drivers, print processors, and monitors are installed on the
system? Right click the keys and you can select "Copy Key Name"

print drivers (there should be a directory and major, minor values here).
There should not be a Version-2 key under drivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

There is nothing here except the default key. I do not have the directory,
major, minor keys because one of the web based solutiuon sites said to delete
every subkey under this directory. I did make a backup of this registry key,
so I can restore it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

print processors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\winprint

It has the default key and a driver key with value localspl.dll

monitors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Local Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\192.168.254.254
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\USB Monitor

You said you had already deleted the printers under this key, please verify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers\Microsoft
XPS Document Writer

Also there are two key values set under printers: DefaultSpoolDirectory and
LANGIDOfLastDefaultDevmode

does the machine have any printer connections?

My printer (Epson Stylus Photo R280) is still connected by USB cable, but
turned off

Are there any entries listed here?
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers

NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Forms
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Monitors
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Printers
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Providers

That is my wife's computer which is connected by LAN. There is a local
printer (Canon) installed on her machine. But it is not listed in the
printers subkey.

Thanks again for all the help.