Vista Banter

-   Printing, Faxing and Scanning with Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/printing-faxing-scanning-vista/)
-   -   Spooler SubSystem App (http://www.vistabanter.com/108570-spooler-subsystem-app.html)

Eddie February 26th 08 02:40 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

I need some help, please. I am running Vista Home Premium (32-bit). I been
receiving an error message each morning when I turn on my machine "Spooler
SubSystem App stopped working and was closed". My local printer does not
work, nor can I print across my LAN. I wrote a question about this before
and received a suggestion to try this:

But that did not help the problem. I also tried a system restore to before
the time the printer problem occurred, but it failed twice when it came to
point of restoring the registry. The only thing that happened to my machine
at the time of the spooler failure was an update to Adobe Reader, so I also
tried uninstalling that, but still no success. I am at wit's end and I
really need to be able to print (for preparing my taxes). Can anyone help?

Boba & Ilinka February 26th 08 05:30 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

On the site mention in your post go only to register and remove your
printer. Reinstall drivers for the printer. Go to the acro reader and set
printer so that it print acro document as an image.
It worked for me.

Boba Vankufer

Eddie February 26th 08 08:16 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

Dear Boba,

I have removed my printer, following the procedure from the KB article, but
I cannot get the print spooler to function. I start it in services, but
after a minute or so it crashes. So I cannot reinstall the driver for my
printer. I do not have the LexBCE Server installed and there are no
dependencies listed for Print Spooler (other than DCOM Process Server
Launcher).

It seems like the Print Spooler is corrupted. How can I repair/restore the
print spooler in Vista Home Premium? I found the KB article for XP, but I
don't think that would work with Vista since the installation procedure is
very different.

Alan Morris [MSFT] February 26th 08 10:36 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

Are there any system or application events when the spooler terminates.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Eddie February 27th 08 01:09 AM

Spooler SubSystem App

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Are there any system or application events when the spooler terminates.

I am not certain what you are asking, but I think the answer is "No". Each
time I start my machine, as it boots I get the error message:

"Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"

This also happens when I manually restart the Print Spooler Service after
about one minute. This problem just came up one morning for no apparent
reason. The only change of which I am aware was an update from Adobe Reader.
I have tried uninstalling Adobe Reader, but it did not help the problem. I
checked the Windows update schedule, but the only updates that occurred at
the time this problem began were Defender definition updates. I also tried a
System Restore twice, but each time it failed when trying to restore the
registry.

Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated.

Boba & Ilinka February 27th 08 04:55 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

Try to go to start, print in the box regedit; go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: than
SYSTEM; ControlSet001; Control; Print; Printers. In this folder you will see
your printer (HP LJ1018 or so). Remove your printer. Try to download latest
driver for your printer and install it. Do not forget to print adobe
document as an image.

Good lack

Boba Vankufer

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

timbob February 27th 08 05:16 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

I hope this works for me, too, as last night I just started getting the same
message about the spooler. Of course, I was trying to print out a
presentation for the morning. Aarrgh. Why this suddenly happened after 5
months with a brand-new HP laptop with Vista and brand new HP printer just
amazes me...and frustrates me no end.

"Boba & Ilinka" wrote:

Try to go to start, print in the box regedit; go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: than
SYSTEM; ControlSet001; Control; Print; Printers. In this folder you will see
your printer (HP LJ1018 or so). Remove your printer. Try to download latest
driver for your printer and install it. Do not forget to print adobe
document as an image.

Good lack

Boba Vankufer

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Alan Morris [MSFT] February 27th 08 06:36 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

Launch the event viewer to view the application and system events. It's in
Admin tools

Open an elevated command prompt and type

net start spooler

Are there any errors or does the spooler start successfully? The spooler
does pause about a minute before loading all the driver data.

also verify that there are no pending print jobs located in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

if there are any, copy them to another location and start the spooler again.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Eddie February 27th 08 06:41 PM

Spooler SubSystem App

Dear Boba,

I appreciate your trying to help me with this.

"Boba & Ilinka" wrote:

Try to go to start, print in the box regedit; go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: than
SYSTEM; ControlSet001; Control; Print; Printers. In this folder you will see
your printer (HP LJ1018 or so). Remove your printer. Try to download latest
driver for your printer and install it. Do not forget to print adobe
document as an image.

I have already removed my printer from the currentcontrolset, but not from
controlset001. I have now done that and then tried to manually restart the
print spooler, but I got the same error message. It will not allow me to
open the print spooler service to install any drivers. When I try I get the
same error message about Windows closing the Spooler SubSystem App. I also
tried having the print folder already open and then starting the print
spooler manually and got the error message:

"Windows can't open Add Printer. Operation could not be complete (error
0x000006be)."

This does appear to be a registry problem. I tried copying the spoolsv.exe
file from Vista that is installed on my laptop, but that had no effect on the
problem either.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

Eddie February 28th 08 02:15 AM

Spooler SubSystem App

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your help in this. I trust that we are making progress.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Launch the event viewer to view the application and system events. It's in
Admin tools

Okay, I found it. I looked in the system and application events and I did
not find anything that appears out of place except for the print spooler
suddenly terminating three times and Windows attempting to restart it twice.
I did eliminate the Adobe update, since that actually came a few hours later
the same day. Let me know if there is something in particular I should be
looking for.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

net start spooler

Are there any errors or does the spooler start successfully? The spooler
does pause about a minute before loading all the driver data.

Yes, I immediately got an error message:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

also verify that there are no pending print jobs located in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

I verified that folder is empty.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,