Can't get fax working

Old February 28th 08, 02:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Richard Ratner

Default Can't get fax working

I bought a computer with Vista that had no modem. I installed my old modem -
vista didn't like that - BSOD on shutdown. Uninstalled that, bought new modem
listed as Vista compatible, is in Device Manager as Agere Systems PCI SV92PP
soft modem. It is listed as operating correctly. Today I downloaded from
Windows Update an optional update which was a later driver, from 10/07. In
Fax Settings, the modem shows as connected, but when I try to create an
account, when I choose Receive Automatically or Notify Me, I get a box that
says "To send a fax, you must first connect to a fax modem or server. To see
how to set up your computer to send and receive faxes, see Help and Support".
The only way I can create an account is to say I'll choose later. In that
case, I can neither send nor receive faxes automatically, although I was able
to receive faxes manually. HELP!!
Old February 28th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article ,
Richard Ratner wrote:

I bought a computer with Vista

Which version of VISTA? The Home editions do not include the Fax & Scan
Utility that is in the Business and Ultimate versions so you may be
dependent on third party solutions.

It's not an area I know about since I use a free-standing fax machine.

Old February 28th 08, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Richard Ratner[_2_]

I have Business. I have made some progress. I got a third party fax program.
In setup, it saw the modem on com3. However, when I went to send a fax, it
forgot where the modem was. When I told it again in settings, I was able to
fax. I suspect that this is the problem with WFS - it forgets where the modem
is when an account is being created.

Old February 28th 08, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , Richard
Ratner wrote:

I have made some progress.

Glad to hear that.

I suspect that this is the problem with WFS - it forgets where the modem*
is when an account is being created.

Perhaps someone can help you on this aspect.

Old February 29th 08, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Richard Ratner[_2_]

Well, I am upset. I downloaded Snappy Fax and it works just fine. The problem
is with WFS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, no help.

"huwyngr" wrote:

In article , Richard
Ratner wrote:

I have made some progress.

Glad to hear that.

Old February 29th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Did you create a brand new fax account from scratch after you changed
modems, changed drivers, and installed conflicting software?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Richard Ratner" wrote in message
Well, I am upset. I downloaded Snappy Fax and it works just fine. The
problem
is with WFS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, no help.

"huwyngr" wrote:

In article , Richard
Ratner wrote:

I have made some progress.

Glad to hear that.

Old February 29th 08, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Richard Ratner[_2_]

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Did you create a brand new fax account from scratch after you changed
modems, changed drivers, and installed conflicting software?

I am not sure what you mean by "conflicting software" (if you mean snappy, I
have uninstalled it), but yes, I have tried creating a new account. Always
the same problem - when I try to tell WFS how to receive, it says that I must
be connected to a modem, although under Fax Settings it says I have a modem
installed. The only way to create an account is postpone specifying a mode of
reception. I suspect this has something to do with ports - WFS should allow
the user to tell it where the modem is. A similar thing happened when I
installed Snappy. It recognized the modem on com3 during setup, but when I
went to send a fax, it couldn't see the modem. It then asked me where it was,
I told it com3, and it worked just fine.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Richard Ratner" wrote in message
Well, I am upset. I downloaded Snappy Fax and it works just fine. The
problem
is with WFS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, no help.

"huwyngr" wrote:

In article , Richard
Ratner wrote:

I have made some progress.

Glad to hear that.

Old February 29th 08, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What do you see when you examine the properties of this modem in Control
Panel Phone and Modems...? Does the Fax Account setup Wizard detect this
modem correctly before it prevents you from configuring it to receive? Have
you tried running WFS elevated when configuring the Fax Account?
--
[...]

"huwyngr" wrote:

In article ,
Richard
Ratner wrote:

I have made some progress.

Glad to hear that.

Old February 29th 08, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article ,
Richard Ratner wrote:

I downloaded Snappy Fax and it works just fine.

Hey, that's the good news g We don't always get any!

Old March 2nd 08, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Richard Ratner[_2_]

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

What do you see when you examine the properties of this modem in Control
Panel Phone and Modems...?

The modem is there and Properties says that it is working properly.

Does the Fax Account setup Wizard detect this
modem correctly before it prevents you from configuring it to receive?

Well, that is really not possible for me to tell. I make it through the
first two screens, so it gives the impression that it has found the modem,
since it asks on the second screen to name the modem, but I cannot be sure,
since the Wizard does not definitively tell me, yes, it has found the modem.
Anyway, on the next screen, when I choose a reception mode, is when it is
clear that WFS does not see the modem.

Have
you tried running WFS elevated when configuring the Fax Account?

I am not sure what you mean. If you are referring to security, I have tried
changing permissions from everyone to Richard. I am the administrator. No
change. I did notice under the advanced tab that the "owner" is Network
Service and I, even as administrator, only have permission to view this, not
change it. It would be so nice if secuirty settings could be modified for
sole users of standalone computers at home.

Sorry for this late reply. Somehow I was not notified of your reply. And
thanks.

--
[...]

"huwyngr" wrote:

In article ,