How to contact Microsoft

Old March 11th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mark L. Ferguson

Default How to contact Microsoft

You might try removing the drivers for the USB Root Hub devices, and 'scan
for hardware changes' (Action menu).
--
Mark L. Ferguson

"SeanP" wrote in message
Appreciate all the suggestions, but nothing has worked for me. I have
owned
the Fingerprint Reader for 1 year with little issues on a Vista Home 32
bit
system.
Came into work Monday the 10th, and it would not recognize website logins.
It reads my fingerprint but will not fill in Id/passwords. I can ven get
ito
the login manager to view my passwords, but it won't recognize my old
logins
or create new ones. it seems to work the same as it always has, it just
won't
fill in anything on the website. I have wasted 6 hours trying everything i
could find online, except for complete re-install. I am at the point of
just
giving up and going to the FingerAuth software for Firefox, 30-day trial
and
see if it will resolve on its own.

I can't waste anymore time messing with something Microsoft Support cares
very little for. if they did they would have come out with newer versions
by
now. 1 software update in 3 years should tell you something about the
priority of this hardware/software for them.

"C.B." wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi C.B.
Wow, I can't believe it!!! You answered so fast!
You took so much time to help me with my problem. That is really nice
of
you. Very, very few people would take such an effort and time.
Like I said, I do not have Windows Live Mail installed (Windows Live
Installer), so it doesn't show up under Programs and features.
I do have MS-Office installed and checked for a Windows Live Mail
installer, but nothing.
Just for the heck of it, I downloaded WLinstaller.exe and I am going to
install it and after that I will uninstall it. Maybe a miracle awaits
me!?
Your other idea about reinstalling Vista clean really doesn't excite
me, I
have so much on my PC, I just don't feel like reinstalling all those
programs since Vista runs very stable (SP1 is also installed, with no
problems). Every program works as it should and I believe in :"Never
change a running system".
If I can't get this thing to work, I can live with that.
Anyway, thanks alot for your help and I hope you have an enjoyable and
nice weekend!

(\__/)
(O.o)
( ) and ......
There's always a light at the end of a tunnel !
Long live Clem Kadiddlehopper !!!
Regards
Pete
************************************************** *************************************************

"C.B." wrote in message
Pete,

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features. Check your installed
programs and see if you have a listing for Windows Live Installer. If
you
find such an entry you can delete it with no detrimental effects as it
is
only an installer.

snip

Pete,

I've got a few other things you can try. Please try these things in
the
order given. If these steps do not help you let me know and we can try
something else. If I can't help you maybe someone else has some ideas.
First, click on Start, Control Panel, Problem Reports and Solutions.
Check here to see if your fingerprint reader problem is listed and
whether
or not there is a link to a fix. If you find nothing here you can go to
the
next step.
Next, click on Start and in the search box type Event Viewer, click
on
Event Viewer and look at the left pane. Click on any of the entries in
the
dropdown menus, especially the "Hardware Events" listed under the
"Applications and Services Logs" heading. Actually, you should view all
the
events in this window pane to make sure you have not missed anything. If
this doesn't help, follow the next step.
Disable your browser's Pop-up Blocker. To do this click on Tools and
then click on Pop-up Blocker and then turn it off. To make sure it is
turned
off click on Tools again and select Internet Options, Security tab,
Internet. Click on the Custom button, scroll down toward the bottom and
click on the "Disable" radio button under "Use Pop-up Blocker, click OK
and
then close and reopen your browser. Go to any login page and see if your
fingerprint reader will now work. If this does not help and you wish to
use
the Pop-up blocker you can reenable it.
Next, let's disable AutoComplete to see if it is interfering with
your
fingerprint reader. Again, open your browser and click on Tools, Internet
Options, Content tab. Click the Settings button next to AutoComplete,
uncheck all the boxes and click OK. Do not close the Internet Options
window. To make sure AutoComplete is turned off click on the Advanced tab
and scroll down to the "Browsing" category and make sure "Use inline
AutoComplete is unchecked, click OK and close your browser. Open IE
again,
go to any login page and try your fingerprint reader. If this does not
help
you may wish to reenable AutoComplete.
Next, we can try to run IE with no Add-ons such as activeX controls
and
Browser Helper Objects. If your browser is now open you can close it.
Click
on the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and select
"Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". This will open IE with all activeX
controls and BHOs disabled. Go to any login webpage (parts of the page
may
be disabled due to the lack of activeX controls or BHO addons) and try
your
fingerprint reader again. If the fingerprint reader works you have
discovered the cause, which will be one of your IE Add-ons. Now you can
close this browser and reopen the normal IE browser. Click on Tools,
Manage
Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons. Make sure the "Show" button displays
"Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer". Leave the first entry in
this list enabled and then click on each additional Add-on and select the
Disable radio button. Close the browser and reopen it. Go to any login
page
and try your fingerprint reader. If the fingerprint reader now does not
work
you have discovered the cause of the problem and you should remove the
offending activeX or BHO. Close and reopen your browser. Go back to
Tools,
Manage Add-ons and repeat this procedure for every entry. If the
fingerprint
reader continues to work you can leave these entries enabled. If it
doesn't
work see the next step.
Next, click on Start, Control Panel and then Device Manager. You
should
have a listing such as "Biometric", or the fingerprint reader could be
listed under "Keyboards" or "Mice and other pointing devices". Right
click
on the relevant entry and select Properties. In the Properties window, on
the General tab does it say "This device is working properly"? Click on
the
Driver tab and then click on the "Uninstall" button. This will uninstall
your driver for the fingerprint reader, keyboard or mouse. Windows will
automatically detect the uninstall and will reinstall the driver. If not,
close the Device Manager window and reboot your machine. Once you reboot
and
log in Windows will automatically detect the uninstalled driver and then
reinstall it for you. Open your browser and go to any login page to
determine whether or not your fingerprint reader is now working. If it is
not working see below.
I don't know if your fingerprint reader is located on your mouse or
your keyboard. Click on Start, Control Panel and then click on Keyboard.
In
your Keyboard Properties window click on the Hardware tab. Does it state
that "This device is working properly? If not, click on the Properties
button and see what it says. Make a list of your settings before you
click
on Restore Defaults so you can change them back if necessary. If the
device
(keyboard) is working properly click on the Key Settings tab and click on
the Restore Defaults button, click Apply and then OK. Next you can go
back
to Control Panel and click on Mouse. In the Mouse Properties window click
on
the Hardware tab. Does it say "This device is working properly"? Click on
all the other tabs in this window and check for any incorrect settings.
If
your browser is open you must close it and reopen it. Try your
fingerprint
reader again.
If the previous step does not work, open your "Run" dialog box and
type
"services.msc" without the quotation marks. My computer's Services has a
listing for my fingerprint reader and it is called "Biometric
Authentication
Service". You may have the same or similar entry or your entry may be
listed
as "Mouse" something or "Keyboard" something or even "Microsoft"
something.
Make sure the entry is started and the "Startup Type" shows Automatic. If
it
does not you must turn it on. To do this right click on the entry and
select
Properties. The Startup type should show "Automatic" and the Service
status
should show "Started". If not, you must enable them and then click on
Apply.
Don't close this Properties window yet. Click on the Dependencies tab at
the
top of the window. It will tell you that "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)"
must
be enabled for your fingerprint reader Services listing to work. You can
now
close this Properties window. In the Services window right click on
Remote
Procedure Call (RPC) and then Properties. It should be set to Automatic
and
it should be started. If not, make the necessary changes and click Apply.
Click on the Dependencies tab and you will see that RPC depends on "DCOM
server Process Launcher" for it to work properly. You can now close this
Properties window and once again, look at the Services window and locate
DCOM server Process Launcher. Right click on it, select Properties and
make
sure it is set to Automatic and that it is started. If not, make the
necessary changes and click Apply. Click on the Dependencies tab and you
will see that there are no dependencies for the DCOM server Process
Launcher. You can now close the Services window. If your browser is still
open you must close it and reopen it. Try your fingerprint reader again
and
if it works your problems are solved.
If it does not work there could still be some Services that need to
be
started, restarted or changed. I am providing a link below for you to
click
on. I don't know which edition of Vista you are running so you must look
under the column for your edition of Vista. This link will take you to a
page that lists the default settings for all of your Services. Your
Services
will have some entries not on this list and this list will have some
Services not listed on your machine. These are the default settings for
all
your Services. Go down the list and make sure your matching Services are
set
to the same default settings as listed for your edition of Vista. Use the
"Default" settings, not the Safe, Tweaked or Bare Bones settings. If your
Services entries do not match these default settings you should reopen
your
Services and make the necessary changes. It's possible you have changed
or
disabled some of the default settings for your Services either knowingly
or
unknowingly. Also, some applications will change these Services settings
without your knowledge. If these changes to your Services allow your
fingerprint reader to work you have solved the problem. If not, leave the
correct default settings and close the Services window. Here is the link
the webpage showing the default settings for your edition of Vista:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Next, we will check your Windows Features settings, to determine
whether or not they are enabled or disabled. Click on Start, Control
Panel,
Programs and Features and then select "Turn Windows features on or off"
located on the left pane. I am running Vista Ultimate so I don't know if
you
will have the same features and whether or not you have previously
altered
them in some manner. These features may or may not have something to do
with
your fingerprint reader not working. I really don't know. However, it
never
hurts to try. If you make changes to these settings and they do not
enable
the fingerprint reader you should reset them to your original settings.
Make
a list of your settings before you continue. My default settings for Turn
Windows features on or off are as follows: ActiveX Installer Service is
unchecked. Games are checked. Indexing Service is unchecked (This setting
is
for backwards compatibility. It does not have anything to do with Vista's
Indexing service). Internet Information Services is unchecked. Microsoft
.NET Framework 3.0 is shaded blue, with the submenu showing only XPS
checked. Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server is unchecked. Print
Services
is shaded blue, with the submenu showing Internet Printing Client
checked.
Remote Differential Compression is checked. Removable Storage Management
is
unchecked. RIP Listener is unchecked. Services for NFS is unchecked.
Simple
TCPIP services (i.e. echo, daytime etc) is unchecked. SNMP feature is
unchecked. Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications is unchecked. Tablet PC
Optional Components is checked. Telnet Client, Telnet Server and TFTP
Client
are unchecked. Windows DFS Replication Service is checked. Windows Fax
and
Scan is checked. Windows Meeting Space is checked. Windows Process
Activation Service is unchecked. Windows Ultimate Extras is checked.
Click
OK at the bottom of the window and the window will close. If your browser
is
open you must close it and reopen it. Go to any login page and see if
your
fingerprint reader is now working. If it is working you have discovered
the
cause and you can leave the Windows Features settings alone. If this does
not enable your fingerprint reader you can follow the next step listed
below.
Reboot your machine. Click on Start, Computer, C Drive (I'm assuming
your operating system is located on your C Drive. If not, click on the
drive
it is located on) and then Programs. Find the folder that contains your
fingerprint reader. Now, leave this as it is and then open your antivirus
or
security suite program and locate the "exceptions" or "exclusions" list.
Add
every single listing from your fingerprint reader application folder or
file
to your antivirus or security suite exceptions (or exclusions) list. You
may
be able to just add the folder or you may have to add individual files or
applications. It depends upon which Antivirus application you are using
and
the method of adding exceptions. Reboot your machine, go to any login
page
and see if your fingerprint reader is now working. If it is working you
can
leave all the exceptions listed in your antivirus program. If it is not
working you can either delete these exceptions or leave them as they are.
I don't think your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) setting is
causing
the problem. If DEP were the causative factor your browser would
automatically close when you tried to use the fingerprint reader. Once
you
have tried all these suggestions, and if your fingerprint reader still
does
not work, you can contact me again and we will try something else. The
problem could be a Group Policy issue affecting permissions. You may have
take ownership of a particular application. It could be an Admin issue.
It
could be a lot of things.
The most important thing is this: Don't give up. You can always look
at
the situation in a positive manner. You will have learned some things you
did not know before, or if you already know these things you will be
positive that you have tried these steps and they did not work.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Old March 11th 08, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
C.B.[_5_]

Mr. Ferguson,

I think he as already performed that step, with no results. He has
spent an abundance of personal time on this matter, much more time than I
did. However, I do agree with what he is saying. Microsoft has released a
product that has caused many problems for many users, and Microsoft has done
absolutely nothing to fix the problems. The single software update Microsoft
has released for this product did nothing to help the situation.
As with some other Microsoft products, they have released it, buried
their heads in the sand and moved on to other ventures. Ultimate Extras is
just one additional example of this behavior. This is not a good thing and
reflects very poorly on Microsoft. Support for a released product is what
it's all about, not the product itself.
I decided to say the hell with Microsoft and discover by myself the
causative factor behind the non-functionality of my Microsoft fingerprint
reader as it related to my system, and by doing a clean reinstall and
investigating the effect of every update installation and software
installation I was able to solve it. Not everyone has the available time or
desire to do this. Unfortunately, the cure for my problem does not apply to
his system.
Also, zachd forwarded my solution to Microsoft for further action and I
thanked him for his concern. I expect Microsoft to put the referral in file
13 at their earliest convenience and do absolutely nothing about it.
Thousands, if not more, people have been complaining to Microsoft about this
product for many years and Microsoft has not been concerned in the least. I
don't expect Microsoft to do anything about it in the future, either. I'm
not stupid.
It's nice to know that you took the time to try to help him.

C.B.

It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote in
message ...

"C.B." wrote in message
[...]

have to

Old March 11th 08, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SeanP

CB & Fergsuon-

Thanks for the reply & assistance. And Yes, I have deleted/removed the
drivers the Driver a half dozen times, with the hardware still attached, with
it unattached, rebooted with a clean install. you name it.

It is very strange it lets me go through all the fingerprint registration,
but it wont recognize the login pages now. Leads me to believe that something
has changed in the IE7 settings.

The only two updates installed the past 2 weeks.
1) Silverlight for MS
2) Vista Update released 2/26/2008 and installed on 3/10/2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940510

neither appears to be something that would conflict with that hardware.

last gasp may be to uninstall IE7, MS Fingerprint reader Program, and
drivers. Maybe something will magically work with clean install of both.

I will post back if i can get anything to work.

thanks again for replying.

--
SeanP

Old March 12th 08, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SeanP

Well it appears I had some success, I reset IE7 back to original settings(
instead of uninstalling ). windows update almost immediately gave me 7
updates to install( 1 Vista update, 5 Office updates, 1 Windows defender
update ). The Vista update mentioned update would "This update improves the
reliability of certain portable computers when you resume the computers from
sleep by opening the lid.". I don’t know if that would help with the known
problems of computer awaking and unresponsiveness of the Fingerprint reader?

Once I installed the Firefox Fingerprint reader program and it worked
flawlessly, I knew there had to be an issue with Internet Explorer. If anyone
has a problem with F.R. not recognizing web Login pages, but hardware seems
to be responding OK, try Resetting IE7 to Default settings, did the trick for
me.

--
SeanP