no ide ata atapi in device manager

Old February 29th 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Scott

Default no ide ata atapi in device manager

On an HP m8120n, I had HP replace the DVD drive that came installed (didn't
do DVD-DL). New DVD drive worked fine for 2 months, watching movies, burning
CD's and DVD's, but now can't watch commercial (legit bought or rented)
DVD's. Quick search of these forums I found this link -
http://www.remoteselector.com/driveinfo.htm - which I d/led and ran. It
stated there might be a problem with the ASPI layer. Quick search of that
turned up something about turning DMA off (or on, forgot what) and that I
needed to go to Device Manager and find the IDE ATA ATAPI tree. Here's the
problem, I don't have a +tree that says IDE ATA ATAPI. Should I?
Old March 1st 08, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi Scott,

If Device Manager doesn't have that tree, then that's more than likely the
problem - not the drive itself. Try the scan for hardware changes routine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old March 1st 08, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Scott

Thanks. I did the scan for changes. The IDE ATA ATAPI +tree still does NOT
show up. Should it? Is it a big problem if it doesn't?

Old March 2nd 08, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi Scott,

If it's not showing, you're going to need to check and see if it is being
reported in the system BIOS at startup. If it's not there, then you may need
to reseat the cabling.

Old March 5th 08, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Scott

Hit F10 and checked the BIOS, and it recognizes the drive. Should the +tree
for the IDE ATA ATAPI in the device manager show up?

Old March 5th 08, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

If it's recognized in the BIOS, then it should show in Device Manager. If it
does not, the problem may be in the IDE controller driver file. Could be
corrupt, missing, or an incorrect version.