Deleting Vista Search Folders

Old March 4th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Default Deleting Vista Search Folders

"pvc" wrote in message
news

My automated cleanup script is working well, thanks to your help.
Perhaps you can help me with automating the task of deleting the
contents of this folder (C:\Users\myname\Recent). I can deleted the
contents manually, but I am having trouble finding an automated
solution.
Dan

'C:\Users\UserName\Recent'

is a Junction Point that points the the folder:

'C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Recent'

So try a 'del *.*' on that.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Old March 4th 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

"pvc" wrote in message
My automated cleanup script is working well, thanks to your help.
Perhaps you can help me with automating the task of deleting the
contents of this folder (C:\Users\myname\Recent). I can deleted the
contents manually, but I am having trouble finding an automated
solution.
Dan

Create a batch file.
del /y C:\Users\Dan\Recent\*.*

Old March 4th 08, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_8_]

Thanks again (Bob, I did that); I ended up with the following command
(.cmd) file (see below). I will also look into using the Task Scheduler
for further automation instead of using the Run command.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend this if you are using Indexing for
Search! I have my indexing set to index nothing (no files, no folders,
no disks).
----------
REM
REM Searches
REM
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Searches\*.search-ms
DEL /ahr C:\Users\Dan\Searches\*.search-ms
REM
REM Saved Games
REM
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Hearts\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Purple Place\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Spider Solitare\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Chess Titans\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\FreeCell\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\InkBall\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Mahjong Titans\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Minesweeper\*.*ms
DEL C:\Users\Dan\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitare\*.*ms
REM
REM Recent
REM
ECHO Y|DEL C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\office\Rece nt
DEL C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Rec ent\*.*.*

--
pvc

Old March 4th 08, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_9_]

Bob;634755 Wrote:
Place the bat file in c:\

I'm not sure what you mean by store it in c:\ ?
I store it in a place where I store my script commands. I used Task
Scheduler to run it at Startup time, like this:
'[image:
http://www.imagecraz.com/files/dbps9db7p2hlfakkon3g_thumb.jpg]'
(http://www.imagecraz.com/viewer.php?...hlfakkon3g.jpg)
It works great for me. Click on the image for a larger view.

--
pvc

Old March 25th 08, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_10_]

I am trying to delete the following file from an automated script (.cmd)
file:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s Photo
Gallery\Pictures.pd4

I want to automate the task of deleting this file. I can delete the
file manually, but I am having trouble deleting it from a script file or
from the "Run\CMD" prompt.

Any suggestions?
Dan

--
pvc
Old March 25th 08, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

This works from a cmd prompt or a batch file.

attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

news

Old March 25th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_11_]

Bob;661215 Wrote:
This works from a cmd prompt or a batch file.

attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
-------
*Report back, please*

Thanks Bob;
When I do a dir C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s
Photo Gallery I get a file not found. I can look at these files; dir
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft but when I add the Windows
Photo Gallery folder I get no access to the files.

I don't understand how to use attrib -r -a -s -h??? Can you show me
the exact format?

--
pvc
Old March 25th 08, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_12_]

The following commands seems to work. Any way to accomplish this in one
command?
Probably not because you must change the attributes of the file before
deleting??

CD C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery
Attrib -r -a -s -h
DEL Pictures.pd4

--
pvc