problem with installing external HD

Old March 8th 08, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Geek[_2_]

Default problem with installing external HD

i bought a western digital My book essentials 500GB external hard disk a few
days before. instead of gaining direct access to the drive, i was prompt to
install the driver software. however, vista couldn't find the software. the
HD is supposed to be plug and play. what can i do here? the HD works with
other computers. my newly bought MP3 player is also facing the same problem.
please help!
Old March 9th 08, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Seidell23231

Hey Geek, How are you connecting, USB or Firewire? I have the WB My Book
Premium Edition, and I use the Firewire. Plug it in and bing its there.
However, I would suggest, turning off your PC, plug in the wire for your WD,
turn on your WD and then turn on your PC. Open My Computer and it should be
there. If it is not, go to START button, ALL Programs, ADMINISTRATIVE Tools,
COMPUTER Management. Look at the Console Tree on the left and scan down to
Storage. Under Storage select DISK Management. This will open up showing
all and everything connected to your PC. Do you see your WD? Is it
"ONLINE"? Check back when you've got the above done and if still stuck, well
we will go from there!

Good Luck ~~~~ Gunny

Old March 10th 08, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KentuckyRanger[_8_]

I had this same problem with the same HDD. After hooking it up with the
Rig off it took FOREVER to boot up.
It worked fine for a while then Vista lost its Mind.
I've had so many problems out of it I gave it to my Wife for her Rig
with XP, it's been working fine for 4 Months now... :O(
After I get SP1 going I might try it again.
I think it has to do with Vista's drivers not properly recognizing USB
and SATA HDD's.
I've also had ALLOT of Headaches with the 3 150Gb Western Digital
Raptors inside. They'll work great for a while then it's like they
aren't there. I also have 2 DVD drives in SATA and the only thing I've
found so far tha't worked was to unplug 1 DVD drive and update the
firmware in the other. So far so good.

Sorry I don't have an answer. I'll keep looking here to see if anyone
knows what the deal is...

P.S.Gunny, I tried the Firewire trick and it didn't work for me. It
might also be the M/Board I'm using...

--
KentuckyRanger

M/Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI A-1
CPU: Intel QX6800 O/C to 3.47GHz
RAM: 4 GIG Corsair Dominator PC6800 1X4
H/D's: 3X Westrn Digital 150GB Raptor
Video Cards: 2X EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
P/S: Ultra X3 1,000W
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
DVD: Philips Blu-Ray/Philips DVD
Old March 10th 08, 10:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Geek[_2_]

thanks Gunny, i am using USB to connect my WD. i do not see WD in disk
management. I tried your method but it doen't work.

Old April 6th 08, 08:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JollyRodger

I'm having the same problem with the WD Essential 750gb. I have 2 250gb WD's
that "purr". I've tried a few suggested remedies w/ no success, though I'm
about to try hooking things up and rebooting but w/ little confidence that'll
work. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

One solution was to go to right click Start button, go to explore, type in
C:\windows\inf, scroll down and find the INFCACHE.1, right click and go to
properties, Security; Edit, Add, type in Administrators, OK, then give Admin
full control. OK. Then go to the Inf folder and delete INFCACHE.1 file,
then hook up the WD and pray. My prayers weren't answered!

Old April 12th 08, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
momvon

"KentuckyRanger" wrote:

[...]

Hi! I am kind of glad I'm not losing my mind after all! My 500gb WD just
quit after 12months and I lost all tje material it had on it! It shows as an
error of DR1 has a bad block. What the heck does tis mean and did I really
loose a years worth of work? Now Vista Ultimate doesn't even show it as
connected! Ideas anyone?
Old April 12th 08, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KentuckyRanger[_9_]

the good news is you haven't lost the data on you external drive, Vista
just stopped recognizing it.
with the power off unplugg the drive and boot the cputer.
then turn it off.
plug the drive into a different USB port and boot.
this will force Vista to look for it again and should bring it back as
a usable drive once more.
if not you can hook it up to another computer to get your data.

Old April 12th 08, 05:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JollyRodger

Found my answer! I took the thing back to Circuit City, had them check it
and they had the same problem. Got another, (1Tb), had them check it and it
hooked up just fine. Brought it home, hooked it to my Vista computer and
though it took a minute to recognize it did and it's up and running just
fine!.. Took 12 hours to transfer 224 gb to it, but so far so good!

Old April 12th 08, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KentuckyRanger[_10_]

I haven't tried it yet but after installing SP-1 I might hook one up and
see if I'd made a difference.
from what I've read and the things I'm going throgh I'd say its
nVidia's lousy SATA controller.
I know it's an external USB drive but man have I had problems out of my
internal drives as well.
I'll let Y'all know what happens.