Laptop display problem

Old March 10th 08, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Captain C

Default Laptop display problem

Hi folks,

I've got an Sony VGN-BX197XP laptop that I've upgraded to Windows Vista
Ultimate. Since then I've encountered some strange display-related issues:

1) I could only boot into Aero about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I
forced onto the Standard theme with no Aero option. Since installing Vista
SP1 I can't get Aero at all.

2) When not running in Aero mode I can't get the Windows Media Player to
play video files, nor get a Perfomance Index.

3) If I plug in an external monitor I can't get a picture on the laptop
monitor but I *do* get a picture on the external monitor and it runs Aero
100% of the time. It will also play video files and give me a performance

Sony are less then helpful with Vista support for this model, though they
have released *some* drivers, though nothing grasphics driver related.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Carl
Old March 11th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Captain C[_2_]

Hi Colin,

I'm currently running the standard driver supplied with Vista:

MOBILITY RADEON X700 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Driver Date: 25/08/2006
Driver Version: 7.14.10.8333

ATI themselves are not providing any X700 Mobility drivers as described he

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...tionID=2 6978

And Sony seem to think I don't need one

Thanks

Carl

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Have you updated the video driver?

Old March 11th 08, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

You need to get the latest Vista driver for you laptop graphics chip from
the Sony Website and install it. It certainly has to better then what you
are using regardless of what a Sony support rep says.

Old March 13th 08, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Captain C[_2_]

Alas - there's no Vista video driver update posted on Sony's site for this
model laptop. I've even looked on the US site for a comparable model and
they just don't supply anything.

Thanks

Carl

Old March 14th 08, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Vista drivers are on the support page for Sony Europe at
http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/u...017&os=7&osl=1

Old March 17th 08, 08:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Captain C[_2_]

Hi guys,

That's the set of drivers I used to install Vista on the laptop,

I *know* the thing can support Aero - before Vista SP1 I got it about 50% of
the time and I get it 100% of the time if I'm running to an external monitor.
I just can't run external and internal at the same time.

Wonder if it's a monitor driver issue?

Thanks

Carl