USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

Old March 10th 08, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Sneaker

Default USB-Audio Driver (w. BOSE Companion 5)

Hi all

With the current Standard Microsoft Driver for USB-Audio Devices I'm getting
distortions. I've already tried SP1 (Eval). No improvement.

I'm using a BOSE Companion 5 sound system, but several users complain the
same problem with other brands of sound devices, as you may read in popular
Vista-Boards.

When listening to sound of all kinds, such as music from Windows Media
Player, Audio-Streams, Digital-TV, etc., the sound gets distorted after some
playing time (after a few minutes, sometimes after more than an hour) and it
will not stop until the sound device is detached and reconnected again. And
then, the same game starts again....

There is no direct reference to the sound source at all: the same mp3-song
may be played and replayed times and again in perfect quality, with no
distortions at all, when suddenly distortions begin.

I read that BOSE are denying any problems with the hardware. Sound systems
shipped to them for repair were all returned with "no errors found". They
say, it's caused by an "improper sound signal".

With Windows XP distortions are virtually unknown, it seems that only Vista
is affected (DRM???).

Has anybody the same problems? What can be done?

Old March 22nd 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Chantix

Hi. First the good news. I am running exactly the same speakers as you are
and experiencing exactly the same problems. It's driving me insane. The
other good news is that it may not be trouble with BOSE as I've used the
speakers on my Apple and they sound fine. You are NOT alone!

Bad news is that I've been looking for an answer to this problem myself with
no luck yet. Seems outrageous that Microsoft would allow such a massive
problem to slip by....but then again, it's Microsoft. Their catchphrase
should be - "Lower your expectations."

Peace
Old July 10th 08, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
rhgrant

I notice the previous posts were made in March. Its July.

I too have the Companion 5 series andthe problem I have is not only
cracklin gBUT after a time NO SOUND at all!!! I have to
reboot.

Come on Microsoft get off your backsides and fix this problem. Not one
response from M$ to this problem.:zip:

Bloody shameful!!!

--
rhgrant
Old July 29th 08, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

You snipped out the context and deja.com doesn't archive this group, so I
don't understand what you are specifically referring to nor what problem you
are experiencing.

It sounds like your audio card is dying over time... ? What specific driver
version do you have? Does the audio card vendor have a newer version
available?

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old July 29th 08, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Paulo

Peter:

I got same issue on Windows Vista X64 , in fact the Bose Companion is not
using sound card , he has it's own sound system and linked with the PC by Usb
..
The main issue is that the Bose some time is not see by the system , unplug
then plug usb cable doesn't solve the issue ...

Old July 30th 08, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Are you using Vista Service Pack 1 on this machine? What is the file
version of usbhub.sys?

I'm curious if your issue was addressed by:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943599
, which is part of Service Pack 1.

--
Speaking for myself only.
news

.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

You snipped out the context and deja.com doesn't archive this group, so I
don't understand what you are specifically referring to nor what problem
you
are experiencing.

It sounds like your audio card is dying over time... ? What specific
driver
version do you have? Does the audio card vendor have a newer version
available?

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Old July 31st 08, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Paulo

Hi Zachd,

Currently I am using VISTA SP 1 on my PC , the file version is
600.6001.18000 ..
Anyway I'll do some extra test on my laptop this Saturday in order to check
if the hardware from the bose system is ok ..

Pierre

Old August 12th 08, 07:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
rhgrant

I have SP1 for Vista Ultimate 64bit and the problem is still persisting.
Rahoul did you get a result??

'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
;791075']Are you using Vista Service Pack 1 on this machine? What is the
file
version of usbhub.sys?

I'm curious if your issue was addressed by:
'The audio from a USB speaker is distorted after you connect an
additional USB device to a Windows Vista-based computer'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943599)
, which is part of Service Pack 1.

--
Speaking for myself only.
See 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player
problems.' (http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html) for some helpful WMP info.
rights.
--
news297901A-BE6B-4B2E-8C43-C0BE94BC375E@xxxxxx

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

You snipped out the context and deja.com doesn't archive this group,
so I
don't understand what you are specifically referring to nor what
problem
you
are experiencing.

It sounds like your audio card is dying over time... ? What specific
driver
version do you have? Does the audio card vendor have a newer version
available?

--
Speaking for myself only.
See 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player
problems.' (http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html) for some helpful WMP info.
rights.
--

rhgrant
Old August 23rd 08, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
snowcrash

Hi, reviving this as it seems to be the best forum for my query. I'm
planning on getting a Bose Companion 5 but have some MAJOR reservations
given the problems listed above.

The only reason I've NOT completely dropped the idea is because the USB
problem above seems to be on PCs running Vista 64bit. As I'm running
Vista Home Premium 32bit, does that mean this should not be an issue, ie
is it fully compatible under Vista 32bit?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm very impressed with the
speakers, but don't want to get them if they're gonna be so incompatible
with Vista....

--
snowcrash
Old August 27th 08, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Paulo

Hi Guys,

I have done some 'in deep' test , and .... the bose hardware system was
faulty , so I had to return them to manufacturer .... they just work for a
couple of hours ..even for Windows XP ( I have done some test on mu
professional laptop ...) ..

So this this is It for me ... Will come back when they will come back ...

Peter ...