printer sharing

Old February 8th 07, 06:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nrob4

Default printer sharing

" wrote:

Problem: An XP PC on the network has a printer attached that other computers
running XP or linux are able to access. However, Vista PCs that attempt to
connect to this printer get an 'access denied' error, even though file
sharing otherwise works.

If file sharing is otherwise working, and Vista has native printer drivers
for the printer on the network XP PC with the printer you wish to access,
CAREFULLY follow these steps:

Add the printer driver on the Vista PC, using control panel/printers/add
printer/local printer (important: local, not network printer). Choose the
printer driver from Vista's table of selectable printer drivers. Choose LPT1
as the local port even though this will ultimately be a networked printer.

After the driver is installed, what you do next is select (right click) the
newly installed printer, choose properties, ports, add port. Then manually
add a new Local Port with:

\\computer_name\shared_printer_name

as the port name. In my case, the port name for the printer on my XP Home PC
is \\danscomputer\hpdeskje

Make sure you select this newly created port as the active port for the
printer.

Print some pages to test and you are done!

Same problem as others with desktop XP and Vista laptop. Tried to add new
port on Vista laptop and it would not take it.
Old March 24th 07, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
TrekBrew

Default Printer Sharing on Windows NT to Vista

FYI, just wanted to let you know that the Local Port method worked great to for a HP LJ 2100 shared from a Windows NT4.0 system which I wanted to access from a Vista system. Thanks!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old April 16th 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
mrcat63

I had the same problem: 'access denied' from a wireless vista laptop to an XP
usb'd printer. I followed the directions below and instantly had access!!

Thanks

Old August 31st 07, 08:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nadjmal khodabacchas

Default concerning printer sharing n vista drivers ..

hi,
i have been going through the set of questions and answers on this site..

there is a part where it says "

One last shot: Did you install drivers for the shared printer in Vista?"

my question is what do you plz. becoz i remembered i installed my driver for the printer on both xp n vista windows....

last nite i installed the net gear box, it took sm time but 4 the internet setup it was it to share n make the the laptop use the internet too..

now i am trying to share my printer which is connected to my pc,but i cant share it, seems that i missed some steps...

what should i enable on the add/remove programs in control panel for both windows for me to be able to share the printer...

plz guide me..

thank you

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old August 31st 07, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Chuck [MVP]

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:05:30 -0700, nadjmal khodabacchas wrote:

hi,
i have been going through the set of questions and answers on this site..

there is a part where it says "

One last shot: Did you install drivers for the shared printer in Vista?"

my question is what do you plz. becoz i remembered i installed my driver for the printer on both xp n vista windows....

last nite i installed the net gear box, it took sm time but 4 the internet setup it was it to share n make the the laptop use the internet too..

now i am trying to share my printer which is connected to my pc,but i cant share it, seems that i missed some steps...

what should i enable on the add/remove programs in control panel for both windows for me to be able to share the printer...

When you run the Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP, or the Network and Sharing
Center wizard in Windows Vista, you are enabling the protocols and transports
needed. But you do have to setup sharing authentication on both computers.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

And you do need to be aware of the issue of drivers, for the right printer, that
are used to serve the printer (where it's physically connected), and to access
the printer (where it's not physically connected). And those drivers have to be
written for the correct operating system.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...aring-are.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Old March 3rd 10, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
RustyD

I see lots of comments about xp and vista fixes but nothing about XP to
Windows 7.
I have the same problem, running 2 desktops with XP printer hard wired to
desktop. Laptop running win7 sees other machines but won't connect to the
printer, win7 has homegroups rather than workgroups.. but it only works if
all machines are running win7. any ideas? thanks