printer sharing

Old November 16th 06, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Monika

Default printer sharing

I have home network with 3 XP computers, using XP wizard I setup workgroup,
shared folders and shared printers. If I add new XP workstation, printers
are immediately added.
Lately I installed Vista RC1 on the notebook, after initial fight with
wireless connection, I was finally able to setup Vista, enabled Public folder
sharing.
I can access folders and files on XP desktop, but when trying to access the
printer, I get access denied. Using the same logon information on both XP
and Vista.

Any suggestions?
Old November 17th 06, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Carlos

Monika:
I am not in a Vista machine right now.
Go to Networking Center and enable printer sharing and disable the password
requirement.
It is very easy to figure out what to enable or not there.
That should fix it.
Carlos

Old November 17th 06, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Monika

Carlos,

The printer is shared on Windows XP desktop. Vista is installed on a laptop.
Since I use wireless connection on a laptop and move around, I need to be
able to use a printer connected to XP desktop.

Old November 17th 06, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Carlos

Monika:
Sorry for the confusion.
I am running out of ideas.
One last shot: Did you install drivers for the shared printer in Vista?
Carlos

Old November 17th 06, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Monika

Yes, I connected printer directly to Vista laptop, drivers installed. I even
ran network wizard executable that Windows XP creates for sharing network.
Vista rebooted, printer was shared immediately and installed on Windows XP
right away.
I connected printer back to Windows XP and still the same problem. I can
access shares on Windows XP, but not the printer.
This doesn't make sense at all, from securit point of view I would rather
see printers being available to all users before files are.

Thanks for help. I work in IT field too, so if I find a solution I will
post it.

Old November 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Carlos

Monika:
Check this site
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
This guy Jimmy Brush knows a lot.
Carlos

Old November 18th 06, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jeff

Mike,
Runnin RTM- same issue
I have no clue.
Unless Vista won't allow printer sharing to XP Home.
I get access denied in RTM- I give up.

Jeff

Old November 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
BetaTester9999

Hello.

I ran into this problem using OneCare Beta. I could not get any network
connectivity, uninstalled one Care and put the trend pc-cillin beta on and
things worked fine.

also, if you are unaware you need to set up permissions for your network
computers in Vista, like xp. I am not sure if the wizard works since I did it
manually.

Good Luck

Jones
--
"There's Things I am and Things I'm Not"

Old November 24th 06, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
[email protected]

Problem: An XP PC on the network has a printer attached that other computers
running XP or linux are able to access. However, Vista PCs that attempt to
connect to this printer get an 'access denied' error, even though file
sharing otherwise works.

If file sharing is otherwise working, and Vista has native printer drivers
for the printer on the network XP PC with the printer you wish to access,
CAREFULLY follow these steps:

Add the printer driver on the Vista PC, using control panel/printers/add
printer/local printer (important: local, not network printer). Choose the
printer driver from Vista's table of selectable printer drivers. Choose LPT1
as the local port even though this will ultimately be a networked printer.

After the driver is installed, what you do next is select (right click) the
newly installed printer, choose properties, ports, add port. Then manually
add a new Local Port with:

\\computer_name\shared_printer_name

as the port name. In my case, the port name for the printer on my XP Home PC
is \\danscomputer\hpdeskje

Make sure you select this newly created port as the active port for the
printer.

Print some pages to test and you are done!