Linking Acer n50 (wm2003) to Toshiba L30 (Vista Home) via Bluet

Old March 10th 08, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Default Linking Acer n50 (wm2003) to Toshiba L30 (Vista Home) via Bluet

I have to link my Acer (ACERN50)- with wm 2003 SE - to my Toshiba
Satellite L30 Notebook– Intel R Celeron R M CPU – with OS Vista Home
Basic, using “Active Sync with Bluetooth”. The Ports (COM & LPT) shows
just Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COM 23). For the bt, I have
Broadcom Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR USB Dongle. I am using a special Vista
driver as supplied from Targus. I have also installed WMDC ( this is
the original version 6 ) and using just the USB for sync, it allows
connecting to COM3, Bluetooth and DMA. This set up - connecting via bt
- actually worked on my earlier ppc - an XDA IIi also with wm 2003
SE but does not work with the Acer. What happens is this. I have first
done a hard reset of the Acer. I switch on bt on the Acer.
Accessibility is set for All devices and Services are as factory
default. I initiate Bluetooth Devices on the laptop (XXX-PC). The COM
Ports panel shows just COM23 Incoming (or finds it). The Devices panel
finds the ACERN50, puts in the passkey, prompts for the passkey on
the Acer, returns “Passkey accepted” and “Link established”. On the
Acer, I get to “Active Sync via Bluetooth”, click next twice till I
reach the Bluetooth Connect wizard. Here I find an icon of my named
PC with a red tick. On clicking, I am taken to a Bluetooth
Window, “Service discovery” displaying “Discovering device ‘XXX-PC’. It
shows “waiting for the device” which changes to “service discovery was
unsuccessful “. In the details section , “ x an error occurred etc
etc “. The Active Connections panel of the Acer, unlike the XDA, fails
to show the connector icons for the Outgoing Connections and the
Incoming Connections . On the devices panel of the PC, it initially
shows that the PC was connected but then that disappears. I believe
there should be a solution to the problem - ( I tried the approach
of Nostromos, June 2007unsuccessfully ) Could anyone please help ?

Old March 12th 08, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Default Link Acer n50 (wm2003) to Toshiba L30 (Vista Home) via Bluetoot

New Development: The Acer syncs with my desktop running XP Pro (&
ActiveSync 4.5) through the Bluetooth link, using a serial COM Port
and an ActiveSync Port. But my need is for this to work on my
Toshiba laptop !

Old March 18th 08, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Default Link Acer n50 (wm2003) to Toshiba (Vista) via Bluetooth

Here is my guide to linking a PC/NB (Toshiba L30 under Vista Home
Basic) to a pocket pc (Acer n50 under wm 2003 SE) via Bluetooth (Widcomm
driver)

1) Ensure hand-held can sync with PC using WMDC through USB + cradle.
Before disconnecting, set link to Bluetooth.

2) Ensure Widcomm Vista driver loaded onto PC. Attach dongle to PC and
reboot to ensure drivers for all services are installed.

3) Hard reset hand-held. Enable BT. In Settings, designate name for
hand-held eg ACERN50.

4) On PC, using BT Devices and Device panel, find the hand-held and
exchange passkey. The Passkey will be enabled but not the
connection.

5) Still on PC, go to COM Ports panel and determine the incoming
COM port of the hand-held.

6) Using Services panel, select services required.

7) Check if Hardware Panel shows both MS BT Enumerator as well as
Widcomm.

8) Following Nostromos, on the PC, use regedit to change serial
port from bluetooth to incoming port of ACERN50

9) On the PC go to general Devices, find Bluetooth, and disable MS
BT Enumerator. This has effect only temporarily but is sufficient.

10) On the hand-held, go from start-up menu to Active Sync and
through tools, change connection to ActiveSyncwithBluetooth.

11) Now through BT Manager, get to “Active Sync via Bluetooth” ,click
next twice till you reach the Bluetooth Connect wizard. Here you find
an icon of your PC with a red tick. On clicking on it, you should
be able to generate a short-cut icon. Click on this icon, for a
drop-down menu with the ‘connect’ option. Click on ‘connect’ and
this should establish the connection with an icon in the Outgoing
connections of the Connections Panel. This connection is all you need.
The Device Panel on the PC should now show it is connected.

Good Luck
Jeff Freilich, PhD