IEEE 1394/Firewire and Vista Ultimate

Old March 11th 08, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DaveW[_2_]

Default IEEE 1394/Firewire and Vista Ultimate

I'm out of ideas. I've got a new computer with Vista Ultimate installed
and an ASUS motherboard with front and back 1394 connectors. I can't
get my video camera (Sony DCR-TRV30) to be recognized by the computer.
Here's what I've done so far.

Checked the device manager no problems with the driver (no !)
Purchased new firewire cables ( 2 new ones) = no change.
Purchased a new firewire PCI card = no change.
Borrowed a friend's video camera (Canon ZR40) which works on his XP
machine.

There is no "ping" when I turn on the camera (to VCR mode) and it's
plugged into the firewire port. Vista does not recognize the device is
plugged in and turned on. The camera (the Sony) indicates DV IN. So it
thinks it's plugged into the computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

--
DaveW

Old June 3rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DaveW[_3_]

Hi Henri,

I have been sidetracked with another project but it seems the only work
around I can find right now is via a device like this one ADVC110.
'ADVC110' (http://www.canopuscorp.com/products/ADVC110/index.php) Next
month I plan on purchasing one to give it a shot. Other than that I'm
completly out of ideas.

Dave

Henri;842471 Wrote:
Dave
I have the same problem with my cam; Sony DCR-TRV30. Do you have a
"work
around"? I'm very interested.

thanks
Henri

The Netherlands

Old March 17th 09, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cmahendra[_4_]

Hi There

I had same problem with my Sony Digital8 (also called HI8 ) handycam.
My vista system was not able to detect my Handycam with a very very
cheap FIREWIRE PCI Card I bought in local market for only $4, yes four
dollars. It came with a common 6pin to 4pin Firewire cable (Sony calls
it i.Link). I was trying to connect with same cable 4pin at camera end
and 6pin on PCI Card, with no luck. It was even showing DV-IN on camera
LCD with this 6pin to 4pin cable. I tried everything an expert would do,
but got only frustration. Even tried a lot on Internet for the solution
but it seems no one knew.

Then I started from scratch, TO DECIDED TO READ MANUAL. While reading
the PDF manual found on Sony Support site, trust me, I found those
golden words "USE ONLY 4PIN TO 4PIN i.Link Cable for Firewire
connection."

I ran back to market and bought 4PIN TO 4PIN Firewire Cable for $1.5

At first trial, trust me, it detected "SONY DV Camcorder" and installed
drivers automatically. I confirmed by going into Device Manager and
found same entry in Imaging Device section. Then what in every possible
software existed on my system, DV Capture was available, which was found
always disabled.

Now the funny part it, technically there is no difference in 6pin to
4pin Firewire cable as two pins are used for Voltage which is discarded
at 4 pin end. But it seems SONY Handycam does not wants itself to
connect it to 6pin socket at PCI card end.

So these are the final things to remember.
1) Use only 4pin to 4pin Firewire cable (any cheaper make. $1.5 will
do)

2) Use any cheaper FIREWIRE PCI card with at least one 4pin firewire
socket. When installed XP or Vista will install driver automatically
just confirm that "IEEE 1394 bus host controller" entry is shown in
Device manager or not.

3) No matter you use cheaper or costlier PCI card or cable the quality
will always be same coz D8 Handycams directly transfer encoded Video
Data in Digital format thru Firewire cable. Firewire cable does not
transfer RF video input. I get default video with 720x576 with 25
Frames/s in PAL mode.

4) No additional codecs are required to install in pc like others
suggested. Required codecs are always there in XP and VISTA with
windows movie maker.

5) No additional software is required, as you can directly capture with
Windows Movie Maker in high quality. My choice is Adobe Premier CS3. If
you want to make directly MPG file you may use ULEAD VIDEOSTUDIO 8 or
later.

6) Dont blame SONY as they already told you which exact cable to use.

7) Dont blame Vista. Its nothing to do with it. Sony's PicturePackage
for XP does not work on vista. For vista they offered PICTURE MOTION
BROWSER which also have easy VIDEO Capture utlity with same high quality
capture.

7) In handycam mode, you can control PLAY/STOP/PAUSE of Handycam from
PC itself from all the video software you use, which is high convinience
for capturing.

8) My sureshot capture sequence is as follows
a) Remove BATTERY from camera and switch on with AC Adaptor
b) Put it on PLAY/EDIT mode (also called VCR mode).
c) Connect 4pin to 4pin firewire cable on camera side and in
firewire PCI Card. Now you see the words DV-IN on LCD of camera, if LCD
is open.
d) Now start any Video Capture Software of your choice. You will
find CAPTURE command in FILE menu in almost all softwares.
e) Enjoy.....

Trust me I am going to add this information in almost all forums where
similar problems were asked but nowhere the solution found. May be I can
help them. Trust me I signed up this forum only to add this information.

Thanks for listening

Mahendra
Mumbai, India

--