TCP/IP address change stops printer?

Old March 12th 08, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ogman

Default TCP/IP address change stops printer?

I have a Brother HL-5280DW. My mac will print to it over the wired network.
My XP machine will print to it over the wired network. Vista, however, will
only print to it until somehow the IP address is changed. This is confusing,
since to the best of my knowledge, the IP address has always changed and it
never mattered on the mac or under XP. I have no idea how to fix this, but I
do know that my frustration with Vista is reaching the point that I need to
either get this stuff working or junk the OS.

Any ideas?
Old March 12th 08, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Are the XP and Mac configured to print to the HOSTNAME or a static address?

If you had Vista scan the network for printer, it would have configured the
port using the tcp/ip address. Just create a port that uses the HOSTNAME
for the device instead.

Brother device names usually start with BR...

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old March 12th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ogman

What I did, before I received your post, was checked the XP machine and saw
that it was set up with a NetBIOS port. I enabled this on the Vista machine
and was able to set it up to work that way. The printer name I end up with is
binary_p1 on Brn_7eb66f. Does that sound like what I should have? If not,
please let me know how I would go about creating the port you describe.
Thanks much!

Old March 14th 08, 01:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ogman

Thanks Alan.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

If that works then go with it.