Tv connection

Old March 13th 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjjppj[_3_]

Default Tv connection

I connect my laptop to my tv Via a HDMI cable, It works fine but the
screen size is too big so the start bar and other bits dont fit on the
tv, i have tried to change the laptop and tv settings but it hasnt
worked. So can anyone help?
Thanks Lee

--
pjjppj
Old March 13th 08, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP][_2_]

You need to change the resolution settings using Display in Control Panel.
Because most HDTV sets use the 16:9 format, you need to choose a screen
resolution that matches the wide format of the TV. If your computer's video
card has been designed with HDTV in mind, it might come with its own software
for setting screen resolution to match the 16:9 format.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old March 13th 08, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjjppj[_4_]

thanks will try

--
pjjppj
Old March 13th 08, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Your TV is overscanning its inputs over HDMI/DVI in order to emulate a
standard TV. If your TV also will accept a VGA input you should use that
since it will be trying to emulate a PC monitor. Your problem has nothing
to do with the resolution you are using.
news

Old March 13th 08, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjjppj[_5_]

doesnt accept VGA

--
pjjppj
Old March 14th 08, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

It would certainly help us to help you if we knew the make/model of your TV
and the make/model of your graphics card. Links to the user manuals of each
would be even more helpful.
As of now it is about as easy to help you as to help someone who says why is
the gas mileage low on my blue car.
"pjjppj" wrote in message
news

doesnt accept VGA

--
pjjppj

Old March 14th 08, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pjjppj[_6_]

well i thought there just might be a setting need changing.
Anyway.
Tv: Bush ID LCD 32 TV 22 HD
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

--
pjjppj
Old March 18th 08, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CrimsonSmear

I am also in the need for some assistance with a similar issue.
I need to have a custom resolution to negate the cropping of a 720p
resolution.

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
TV : Mitsubishi WD-52525 (Monitor Type : Default Monitor as shown in Display
Settings - Advanced Settings - Monitor)
Connection : VGA

Unfortunately, NVIDIA does not have custom resolutions in Vista (as it did
for XP)

The following are parameters that were used, successfully, in XP (although
would prefer possibly 50 Hz refresh to eliminate flickering)

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1200x666=1200,112,136,216,666,28,3,49,74556,2050

Generic timing details for 1200x666:
HFP=112 HSW=136 HBP=216 kHz=45 VFP=28 VSW=3 VBP=49 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"1200x666" 74.556 1200 1312 1448 1664 666 694 697 746 -hsync +vsync

Old March 18th 08, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

The Nvidia driver for the new 9000 cards does support custom resolutions and
timings and there are some unreleased Beta drivers that have the same
support for 6,7,8xxx cards.
Since the drivers do not yet support custom timings nor can Powestrip.

The problem is not due to your display resolution settings since you are
sending a (16:9)widescreen resolution to a (16:9)widescreen TV.

Old March 18th 08, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CrimsonSmear

Powerstrip is out, they've abandoned Advanced Timings for NVidia 8xxx and
newer NVidia GPUs and IGPs (NVidia had it's own custom resolution
capabilities until Vista).

As for the custom resolutions, I can edit my NVHP.inf to include 1200x666
(including refresh rates) prior to driver install but can't work out the
off-sets (i.e.. back porch, front port, etc.). I believe that part of the
problems stems from not being able to change my monitor from Default Monitor
(as Properties and Hide modes that this monitor cannot display are grayed
out).