Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Old October 4th 06, 09:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Default Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Oh well, Just an idea. I've got a similar post undr the network & Sharing
forum and someone there had mentioned it. They also mentioned the guest acct
in XP home being how it "shares the printer." You might wanna try enabling
it on Vista. Again, just an Idea. It didn't work for me, but who knows?
You might have better luck. Let me know.

Regards,
Jordan

"Lang Murphy" wrote:

My uneducated guess would be that Vista Home Edition -might- support "simple
file sharing". Since most of us are evaluating Vista Ultimate... I think
not.

Lang

"Jordan H." wrote in message
You Guys aren't alone, I've also got the same issue. I'm wondering if
it's
because XP HOME edition uses "Simple file sharing"(lol) and Vista is
actually
running "Network Discovery" witch is reallty tantamount to XP PRO File
Sharing. Anybody know how to turn Simple File Sharing on in Vista? Can
You?

"Rusth H (1136045)" wrote:

Another "Me Too" - I cannot find a way to share the XPHome printer with
VISTA. However, file sharing works fine.

"Lang Murphy" wrote in message
Built an XP Pro PC today... hung the printer off it... shared the
printer... assigned it as a network printer in Vista 5728 without a
problem. So... I have to assume XP Home is the source of the problem.

Lang

"BigK" wrote in message
I am still having this issue and have not yet found an answer. I have
found many, many people asking the same question so this is apparently
widespread problem.

I have a Windows XP Home computer with 2 printers installed. I have
been
able to print to them when I had XP MCE on my laptop. Now with Vista
cannot.

I have both machines with the same Network Workgroup. I have them all
on
static IPs connected to a Linksys WRT54G Router. My laptop is
connected
via an Intel 2200 Wi-Fi Adapter. Both computers have the same User
name
and both have the same password.

When I try to add the printers via add printer wizard, it sees both
printers but when I try to actually install them it tries to connect
and
says Access Denied.

I also tried to just browse to the computer and right click on the
shared
printers and chose connect. Still Access Denied.

Anyone who had this find a solution? Anyone know how to solve this.
If
you do, I bet you could make many dozens of people, hundreds of people
happy.

Thanks.

BTW I am using 5728

Old October 4th 06, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
George J Meier

I think, with this concentration on XP Home, you are barking up a wrong
tree.
The people using XP Pro have exactly the very same problem.
I am one of them.

It is impracticable for me ta attach the printer to the Vista machine.
But I am sure it will be accessible to the XP machines. By the way my USB
printer (Brother HL2030) installs OK on the Vista Machine.
Surely this is a Fudgey solution.
Certain people have multifunction printers, they would not like having to
access all those copier and scan functions over tne lan.

Georgio

Old October 4th 06, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Lang Murphy

OK... I just assumed that since I couldn't get to a shared printer on XP
Home, but could on XP Pro, that Home was the issue. And it could still be an
issue; you may have other issues that are preventing you from sharing a net
printer on XP Pro. Just a thought...

Lang

Old October 4th 06, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BigK

Why are no MVPs weighing with either a solution or an explanation that this
is a known issue that will be fixed. If it is not fixed in the shipping
version of Vista I will not upgrade my laptop and I will never upgrade the
desktop these are connected to because I don't use it enough to justify it.
Unless this is by design to get more to upgrade all their pcs. I won't be
doing that.

news

Old October 4th 06, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Okay, Here's the word from the other thread on Network and sharing, You
Can't do it because the XP Drivers WIL NOT INSTALL ON VISTA REMOTELY. From
what I gather, this means any version of XP, PRo Home, etc. You actually
need to install the Printer onto Vista and then configure the ports after.
Or Something like that. For more info just read the thread on Network &
Sharing entitled Cannot ad Printer- Access Denied.

Old October 5th 06, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Lang Murphy

Yeah... I tried that... installed the printer drivers on the Vista box prior
to attempting to connect to the shared network printer. After doing that...
could connect to network printer hosted in XP Pro. Could not connect to
network printer hosted in XP Home.

Lang

Old October 5th 06, 04:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kerry Brown

I think I wrote the post you are referring to. I wasn't that clear I guess.
If the XP drivers will work in Vista then the printer can be installed
remotely. In most cases the XP drivers won't work. The workaround would be
to install the printer on the Vista computer with Vista drivers. Once it's
installed and working then you can connect the printer back to the original
computer. On the Vista computer go in to the printer properties and on the
Ports tab add a new network port as in "computer_name\shared_printer_name".
Again this may or may not work. Some drivers for USB printers or all in one
units won't work properly with Windows networking. Sometimes you can turn
off the monitoring software and it'll start working.

It sounds like there may be an authentication problem with XP Home happening
as well. I don't have a computer with XP home on it to test.

--
Kerry Brown
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old October 5th 06, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Kerry Brown

That should have said "\\computer_name\shared_printer_name"

I forgot the two backslashes at the start.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old October 5th 06, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jordan H.

Guys,

Sitting here blaming microsoft is easy. they get blamed for everything in
the pc world so why not this too. We're all barking up the wrong tree. It's
the Hardware MAnufacturers we've gotta go after here. they're the ones
writing the crappy drivers and such, not MS. it's like trying to blame GM
for your Sony car stereo not working. useless. GM isn't gonna remake the
car for a few people that have a problem. Same thing here. MS isn't gonna
rewrite an entire OS for people that can't get network printers to install.
you gotta remember we're talking a totally new OS here. ther's gonna be
issues.

I grant you it's annoying, but, let's actually start getting on the right
people's cases here. If enough people go after Hardware
manufacturer's(Lexmark etc.) their gonna have to change the way they write
drivers and such.

Old October 5th 06, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Also this is a Local Port
(it just uses the file system and the redirector service to copy the data to
the network).

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team