I can't get scanners to work in Vista

Old March 14th 08, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

Default I can't get scanners to work in Vista

I am testing VISTA Ultimate and find that I cannot get any of my older
scanners to scan - nor can I find VISTA drivers for them.

I have

1) HP PSC950 AIO (It prints however)
2) MUSTEK 1200LP
3) UMAX POWERLOOK II

Anyone out there have any luck getting any of the above to scan in
VISTA? If so, how did U do it? Did you find driver(s) somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

-GECKO
Old March 14th 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
~~GC~~[_2_]

Try VUESCAN it is a universal scannersoftware and it works with x some of
older ans modern scannners.

Vuescan homesite http://www.hamrick.com/

http://www.softexia.com/news.php?readmore=3953

Succes GC

"gecko" schreef in bericht

Old March 14th 08, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
huwyngr

In article , Gecko wrote:

I am testing VISTA Ultimate and find that I cannot get any of my older
scanners to scan - nor can I find VISTA drivers for them.

I have my HP SJ5P scanner working fine with VISTA Ultimate but I had to
do what I did with XP and W2K before it -- install the HP Deskscan 2.9
softwre that uses TWAIN with the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
disabled.

That worked fine and WIA is on Automatic again now.

You can get Deskscan 2.9 from the HP website if you do a search for it.

Or you can use other TWAIN software.

Old March 15th 08, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Not Me[_2_]

But where did you get a PCI SCSI adapter?
The adapter than came with my SC5P is ISA and a machine new enough to run
Vista has no slot for it.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!

Change Alpha to Numeric to reply
"huwyngr" wrote in message
.. .

Old March 15th 08, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
huwyngr

In article , Not Me wrote:

But where did you get a PCI SCSI adapter?

I needed a full scsi controller to deal with hard drives and CDROM
drive at that time so I got the Adaptec 19160 which was the one at that
time that had the external socket on it that matches the scsi cable for
the scanner -- an adapter from one plug size to another would have cost
nearly as much as the controller board!

But they seem to be very expensive now unless you can hit on a cheap
source.

Old March 15th 08, 09:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:15:05 -0400, huwyngr
wrote:

In article , Not Me wrote:

But where did you get a PCI SCSI adapter?

I needed a full scsi controller to deal with hard drives and CDROM
drive at that time so I got the Adaptec 19160 which was the one at that
time that had the external socket on it that matches the scsi cable for
the scanner -- an adapter from one plug size to another would have cost
nearly as much as the controller board!

But they seem to be very expensive now unless you can hit on a cheap
source.

I think I understand what you are saying. My UMAX Powerlook II is a
SCSI scanner, and was working on the same machine that was XP and now
is my test bed for VISTA, I think the problem may be with the PCI
adapter card itself, which I now discover Device Manager says does not
have drivers installed. I'll have to discover if a VISTA driver
exists for this card.

Thanks for your interest. This goes for all you guys.

-GECKO
Old March 15th 08, 11:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:56:53 GMT, gecko wrote:

I think I understand what you are saying. My UMAX Powerlook II is a
SCSI scanner, and was working on the same machine that was XP and now
is my test bed for VISTA, I think the problem may be with the PCI
adapter card itself, which I now discover Device Manager says does not
have drivers installed. I'll have to discover if a VISTA driver
exists for this card.

Thanks for your interest. This goes for all you guys.

-GECKO

I downloaded and installed VUESCAN v8.4.63, and it executes fine, but
cannot find a scanner (both the HP AIO and the Powerlook II were on at
boot).

I have searched for a driver for this SCSI card, but have not been
able to find one. VISTA's method of searching for a driver did not
come up with anything. DriverAgent.com does not either. I haven't
tried DriverGude yet, but that site drives me crazy. I examined the
card and only found the following identifiers:
AV 2906
ASSY 1778406 BESC 1260294
1778407-00 REV A

I am hoping this card will run under VISTA, but now I am having
doubts. What do you guys think?

Thanks

-GECKO
Old March 15th 08, 02:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MLD

"huwyngr" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Gecko wrote:

I am testing VISTA Ultimate and find that I cannot get any of my older
scanners to scan - nor can I find VISTA drivers for them.

I have my HP SJ5P scanner working fine with VISTA Ultimate but I had to
do what I did with XP and W2K before it -- install the HP Deskscan 2.9
softwre that uses TWAIN with the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
disabled.

That worked fine and WIA is on Automatic again now.

You can get Deskscan 2.9 from the HP website if you do a search for it.

Or you can use other TWAIN software.

Have an Epson Photo Scanner. Epson has a TWAIN driver update for Vista but
it took going to hell and back to finally get the scanner to work right. At
the moment, if I plug the scanner USB cable in a computer port other than
the one I used for the installation it won't work. I did get some help
instructions from Epson, haven't tried them as yet because I think, in my
iterations of trial and error, I've already done what they recommended.
Epson made it a point to say DO NOT TO USE the original install CD when
using the TWAIN driver update. HA! After all else failed, that's what it
took to make the scanner work
MLD

Old March 15th 08, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

How about diconnecting the scanner before installing the drivers and
software? A lot of printers need to be installed that way and perhaps
scanners also.

news

Old March 15th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

Well, I cannot find any info on my SCSI controller card (PCI), which
means I cannot upgrade to the driver needed for it. Since VISTA
Device Manager says the controller card is not working properly, I am
up the creek as far as ever getting my UMAX Powerlook II to work under
VISTA, at least until I find a VISTA supporting driver.

My HP950 AIO is another matter. It is connected to USB.
It prints fine. It must be using the driver embodied in VISTA.
Device manager shows it to be 'working properly' under
'Imaging Devices'. Yet it will not scan - at least in Windows Photo
Gallery. This despite the fact that an ICON for the HP950 clearly
shows in the selection panel in Photo Gallery. Additionally. VUESCAN
cannot find it either.

I have e-mailed HP, but have received no reply.

I'm open to any and all suggestions from anyone.

Thanks

-GECKO