Ghost sounds

Old March 17th 08, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

Default Ghost sounds

McAfee has been compatible with Vista for two editions already and with
Vista 64 since late last year. If you must post the removal tool at least
post the latest version thereof and the direct link:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
McAfee is known to cause many problems. Sometimes they don’t show up
immediately.
Replace McAfee with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Windows Defender. Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely
uninstall it.

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
so that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

"SusanV" wrote in message
Thank you for this detailed answer. Sorry if I sounded cranky, but I
thought
I had
said in my original request for help that it was a new Dell. I called
Dell
Tech. Serv.
and all they could suggest was to reset Internet Explorer, which I did,
because it may be a piece of the original Web page's video that got
lodged in
the sound card, not unlike malware. This did not correct the problem. I
have run McAfee full scan
twice and Spybot full scan twice and the weird sounds are still there. I
opened
the Task Manager to look for a program that might be the issue, but I
couldn't
offhand ID anything. I will try your suggestions, including going to the
site you
recommended, and see if that works. I'll get back to you with the
results.
Thank
you again for your time and trouble.
If it turns out to be a hardware problem, then I have the Dell coverage
fix it...they
won't fix software without my forking over $$$.
Susan

"Malke" wrote:

SusanV wrote:

It's a month old computer! The sound card ought to be adequate? The
sounds show up when I first turn it on to my desktop and when I'm on
my
email server
page. And once in awhile on other Web pages. There's no pattern to
the
time
in between occurrences. It's the same 4 sounds each time they do show
up.
Thanks, however, for responding.

Getting cross with me about your computer problems is not productive at
all.
Your first post was extremely lacking in details. This is what you said:

"I have extraneous sounds left over from viewing a Web page video."

I'm not a mind reader and you've given me nothing with which to make a
long-distance sight-unseen diagnosis. Now you come back and say the
problem
occurs frequently and in different situations on a new computer. The
issue
could be caused by software (legitimate or otherwise*) or hardware.
There
is no way for me to guess.

*I have no idea whether your scanning for malware was adequate, whether
you
found anything since all you said was:

"I have done all the anti-virus/Spybot/reset Internet Explorer tricks
that I
can think of."

So here are some additional troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Make sure the computer is truly virus/malware-free. Look at the prep
work
and procedures listed at this link and see if you were that thorough. If
you weren't, you should redo the scanning. If you were and are sure the
machine is really 100% clean, move onto something else.

2. Since it is the same four sounds, try and isolate them by seeing what
they are associated with. Look in the Sounds Control Panel applet.
Possibly
you have some program(s) running in the background causing this.

3. Look in Event Viewer (Start OrbSearch Boxtype: eventvwr.msc) for
clues.

4. Ask yourself The First Question of Troubleshooting: what changed
between
the time things worked and the time they didn't? If you can associate
the
onset of the issue with something you installed, uninstall whatever it
was
and see if that solves things.

5. You can boot with a Linux live CD like Knoppix and see if the sound
is
wonky there. If it is, you know for sure this is a hardware issue.

If you can't figure it out, either contact the laptop mftr.'s tech
support
or take the laptop to a local computer professional who will know what
look for.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

Old March 17th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

That could easily be. I had that for a while a few years ago when I had a
new neighbor that was a radio ham operator. I don't know what would cause
it in the OP's case, but it is a good thought.

"Peter" wrote in message
The ghost sounds are more likely interference.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2/Vista Ultimate SP1
Triple Boot

. ..

Old March 17th 08, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob F.[_4_]

It's messages from you cell phone interfering with your computer. Your cell
phone communicates with the cell site occasionally for background
registration and maintenance. You are talking about multiple fast beeps,
sounds a little like Morse code, right. Don't worry about it, just keep you
cell phone away from your computer if you don't want to hear it. You also
hear it on TV network broadcast shows when one of the announcers
accidentally leave one on near the wireless mics.

--
Regards, BobF.

"Peter" wrote in message
The ghost sounds are more likely interference.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2/Vista Ultimate SP1
Triple Boot

. ..

"SusanV" wrote in message
[...]
coverage to

said:

[...]

what to
look for.

Malke

Old March 18th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

A bit out in left field but just in case..... a number of web sites have
taken to including advertisements that have annoying "mouse-over" sound
effects. Whenever your mouse passes over a graphic in one of these adds the
computer makes some sort of sound. The same sort of thing is also used as a
special effect for menu items on web pages.

"SusanV" wrote in message
[...]
If it turns out to be a hardware problem, then I have the Dell coverage to

"Malke" wrote:

SusanV wrote:

[...]

or take the laptop to a local computer professional who will know what to
look for.

Malke

Old March 24th 08, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SusanV[_2_]

Thank you for your suggestions. I went through Task Manager and could not
identify which process was the problem. Today I had a call from Dell on
another
matter, and when I complained about the sounds, and then found out that the
software is still under warranty (2 days left!) I called the Dell Tech
Service back.
They viewed my computer via their online service, and informed me that my
'ghost' sounds are not extraneous, but a part of the Dell sound card telling
me
that I have connected with a Web site. Odd, huh? Anyway, now that I know the
sounds are not a piece of malware stuck in the sound card, I can ignore the
whole issue. I just find it odd that the sounds are so intermittent. Thanks
again. Susan

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You should be able to kill the process with Task Manager. It may be a
poorly written file from the website.

"SusanV" wrote in message
I have extraneous sounds left over from viewing a Web page video. I have
done all the anti-virus/Spybot/reset Internet Explorer tricks that I can
think of.
Brand new Dell came with Vista. Ignore it? Or anyone have hints for fixing
the sound card?

Old March 24th 08, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SusanV[_2_]

Hello again. I printed out your info sheet from your computer site.
Fascinating
information...explains some problems I had with my previous computer as it
was in its death throes. (I had made the mistake of downloading some of the
registry cleaner programs recommended by 'PC World.' Now I am suspicious
of anything I read in PCW.) Anyway, as to the original issue of ghost
sounds, I
had a call from Dell today about another issue, and I found out my software
and
sound card were still under warranty (for 2 more days!), so I called Dell Tech
Services and told them the problem. I am embarrassed to report that the
sounds
I am hearing intermittently are NOT ghost bits leftover from the Web page I
had viewed, but natural sounds the sound program makes when I perform
certain actions. So I can ignore them from now on.
Thank you again for your suggestions. I will save your 'manual' on computer
basics. Susan

"Malke" wrote:

SusanV wrote:

Thanks for responding, however I need more info about what to look for in
the Task Manager...or should I just cough up the $$ for Microsoft
Technical Help?

No, you don't need tech support for this - just reboot. Colin's idea for why
this happened is probably spot on. If it happens on other websites all the
time, that's a different story and you probably want to update your sound
drivers. If it's only this one time, reboot and forget about it.

Malke