I want to copy information from my old hard disk

Old March 17th 08, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom ferguson

Default I want to copy information from my old hard disk

Thanks for the note and question.

My description "80-conductor/pin " is confusing and an error/slip-of-mind
on my part. I intended 80-conductor/40-pin. The former referring to the
number of conductors.wires in the cable and the 40 to the pin count in the
connector.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bob F." wrote in message
Tom,

Respectfully, Is it not what you are talking about a cable with the same
pin count but has added adjacent ground wires between them that offer
better isolation between lines and hence better speed performance? And
therefore why it's an 80 wire cable and not 40 wire cable. The word "pin"
is confusing. It's the same pin count, no? So what you are requesting
is to discard the old cable and replace it with the new type, right? If
this wasn't you point, just discard this and I apologies for the
intrusion.

--
Regards, BobF.
"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
If the cable you use is a proper 40-conductor flat ribbon cable, the
drive will work OK. If you replace that cable with an 80-conductor/pin
cable, the drive can operate at a higher data transfer rate.

I'm not sure what you mean by "switch cable".

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Igor Skoglund" wrote in message
I have 40-pin cable but I use switch cable. How should I replace it to
80-pin?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Also, if the ribbon cable is an old 40-pin cable replace it with a new
80-pin cable.

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
Well, Igor, you don't give us much information!

Let me guess:

You have a new computer now and it came with one hard drive attached
the small, flat connector on the motherboard. (That is a SATA
connector).
You removed the HD from your "old" computer. You attached it to the
motherboard of the new computer using a wide, flat cable to the
suitable
connector on the motherboard. (That is an IDE/PATA connector.) Or,
you
attached it using the second connector on the cable to the DVD drive.
You
also attached an appropriate power connector to the drive.

Now, the drive can be heard to be spinning but it is not listed by
your
computer when you look at Computer listing.

------

Check on the old hard drive next to the large flat cable connector
for a
block of pins. Make sure the jumper is covering the correct set of
pins
for your setup. If the drive is alone on the cable, use the Single
Drive
position. If on a cable with the DVD, use Slave position. There is
usually
a label on the HD to indicate pin positioning. If not, consult the
drive
maker's web site.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Igor Skoglund" wrote in
message
By switch cabel to a motherboard. I have old port on hard disk (big
flat
one)
and new one on the motherboard (little flat one).

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

How is the drive attached?

"Igor Skoglund" wrote in
message
I have business edition. I have 70 Gb hard disk around 5 years old
with
XP
on
and stuff. I want to copy photos, music, movies, games.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You have to tell us more than this. How are the drives attached
and
what
is
the edition Vista? What do you mean by "old" drive? What
information
are
you trying to copy?

"Igor Skoglund" Igor wrote
in
message
I want to copy information from my old hard disk but the disk
is not
visible.

Old March 17th 08, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob F.[_4_]

Excellent. Now I hope Igor (OP?) is following this and it trying to do the
right thing here. The right cable can make a difference between working and
not working.

Old March 18th 08, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Igor Skoglund[_2_]

Thank you everyone for help. The problem was that I didn't attach power cable
to the switch cable. I was in shop today and they explained the problem. I
hope this information will help others in the future to solve similar
problems.