Vista Banter

-   Security and Windows Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/security-windows-vista/)
-   -   File Acess Rights (http://www.vistabanter.com/11338-file-acess-rights.html)

Chriz August 31st 06 02:12 AM

File Acess Rights

I recently installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on my computer to try to get an
understanding of its operation before its release. I keep an image of my
current system @ all times so it's very easy for me to revert back to XP Home.

Here is my issue. While I was using Vista, I would get alot of security
warnings about file access. It would tell me that I had no rights to certain
files and would force me to take ownership of said files in order to have
access to them. Well, I did this on quite a few files and folders and after a
while got sick of doing this and reimaged back to XP.

Now that I'm back to XP Home Edition, I'm getting messages when I try to
access certain files that "Access to this file is denied". This is driving me
crazy.

I checked the Help & Support database and the solution given in there says:

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take
ownership of the folder: 1. Turn off Simple File Sharing: a. Click Start,
and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing
(Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one
appears.
4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged
in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to
select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK.

Under Tools, Folder Options, View,... there isn't an Advanced section in
Windows XP Home.

Can anyone offer a solution?....

Thanks alot for your time!
ChriZ

Jimmy Brush August 31st 06 02:57 AM

File Acess Rights

Hello,

Follow the instructions the solution gave. You will need to restart in safe
mode in order to see the "Security" tab.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/