Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Allowing trusted programs through UAC

Old March 19th 08, 10:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Thad Student

Default Allowing trusted programs through UAC

Is there a way to allow a trusted program through the user account control
without asking for permission every time? I log into my laptop as an
administrator and there is one program that needs consent through the user
account control in order to run.

The program is Cisco Clean Access Agent. The geek squad at my school
installed it so I can log onto the school's wireless network with my laptop.

This program is initiated through the Start Menu | Startup folder. I can't
see why this shouldn't be possible because there are about 10 other programs
starting when I log on (including some from the startup menu), and the Cisco
app is the only one asking for permission.
Old March 19th 08, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
P. Di Stolfo

Hello,

on 03/13, Jeff Smith from Microsoft said:

"Unfortunately, no. There's no way to white-list specific applications.

(If this were possible, there would be sneaky ways that evil programs could
ride on the coattails of the good applications)."

So I don't think it's possible without re-writing the application.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

news

Old March 19th 08, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Thad Student

Is it possible to "re-write" the application using the Microsoft Application
Compatibility Toolkit? Or is this tool for something different altogether?

Old March 19th 08, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

Thad Student;653434 Wrote:
Is there a way to allow a trusted program through the user account
control
without asking for permission every time? I log into my laptop as an
administrator and there is one program that needs consent through the
user
account control in order to run.

The program is Cisco Clean Access Agent. The geek squad at my school
installed it so I can log onto the school's wireless network with my
laptop.

This program is initiated through the Start Menu | Startup folder. I
can't
see why this shouldn't be possible because there are about 10 other
programs
starting when I log on (including some from the startup menu), and the
Cisco
app is the only one asking for permission.

Hi Thad Student,

You can try this to see if it will work for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/1...lications.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old March 20th 08, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Thad Student

I have the tool, but I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing with it. I guess
I'll have to read some of the documents that came with it. Otherwise... It
doesn't seem to be making a difference so far...

Old March 20th 08, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

"Brink" wrote:

Thad Student;653434 Wrote:

Hi Thad Student,

You can try this to see if it will work for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/1...lications.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*

It is hit and miss with working on programs. The only other option to
do without turning UAC off, is to elevate the administrator accounts so
they alone will not be bothered by the UAC prompts and still have UAC
on.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Old March 20th 08, 08:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Olivier

Maybe you could try to start it using the schedduler instead of the startup
folder (rights are not the same)

regards
--
Olivier

Old March 20th 08, 08:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

Olivier;654001 Wrote:
Maybe you could try to start it using the schedduler instead of the
startup
folder (rights are not the same)

regards
--
Olivier

Thank you for the reminder Olivier.

Thad Student,

Under Option One, Method Two will show you how to have that program
startup with Vista using Task Scheduler instead to bypass UAC.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn

Old March 20th 08, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thad

The best solution for this problem, without disabling any security
components, is to use the Task Scheduler to creat a task that starts the
program when you log on. This task can be run with highest privileges and no
prompt from the User Account Control.

See the following website for instructions and a small utility that
automates creating the scheduled task.

Download and run the Startup Unblocker utility. It will give you a list of
all programs that are configured to start at bootup. Each item will have a
drop down menu that you can use to 'run as administrator'. When you select
this option for an item, the Scheduled Task will be automatically created.

How do I run an administrative program (that needs my permission to start)
every time I log in and prevent the "Windows has blocked some startup
programs" message?:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ...n_program.aspx

--

Ronnie Vernon