A New Hard Drive??

Old March 20th 08, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bradleywold[_2_]

Default A New Hard Drive??

One of my computers is a Gateway desktop, that came with Vista Home
Premium. This computer has been giving me problems ever since I got it
last May. It has been giving me unexpected shut downs without warnings.
I have formated the hard drive numerous times, and finally paid Gateway
to get the restore disk so that I could do this. Well, the problem
kept continuing. I had talked to Gateway numerous times also. Anyway, the
last straw was yesterday when I restored again, and this time she did a
shut down on me when it was installing the necessary updates. Now I
knew it wasn't a software incapability or something that I loaded that
was causing it. So I called Gateway again, and this time I rant and
raving about how I was frustrated about this and I wanted to find a
way to absolutely clear my hard drive from this corrupted thing or virus,
so I could do another clean format. After her research about this
problem, she suggested that I may have a bad hard drive, that is causing this
problem. She offered to send me out a new hard drive for $75, and if I
sent the old hard drive back, I would get the money back. I accepted,
but was reluctant to commit to putting a hard drive in myself, since I
was unfamiliar with this. I am a hands on learner, and got most of my
computer insights from you guys, and problems that I try to get out of.
Anyway, she said it is not hard, and that Gateway would talk me through
it. The computer is on Manufacturer warranty, but I did not buy the
extended warranty from Best Buy; so I think that Best Buy would not be
able to help me out with this, nor would I want them too, since I hear
horror stories.

My question to you is: Does this sound like a reasonable explanation
to a solution, and how difficult is it to replace the hard drive. I would
like to be assured that this may be the solution to the problem. One
can only try. What are your ideas?? Thanks.
Old March 20th 08, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

It is reasonable to replace a hard drive under the instruction of an
experienced person over the phone. She is right. It is not difficult.
Follow her advice.

Unexpected shutdowns can also be caused by overheating of a component. Ask
the Dell person who helps you with the hard drive replacement about it.

Old March 20th 08, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob F.[_5_]

I was once helping a young lady replace a disk drive over the phone. It was
obvious she had no knowledge of computers and I was at a point where the
jumper needed to be moved and knew that I always did this with a pair of
very small needle nose pliers. I knew she didn't have this tool. So, I'm
thinking to myself, "how am I going to get her to do this". So, I said,
"Now we have to move this jumper" and I described it. She immediate said
without the slightest delay, "wait a minute 'til I get my tweezers". I was
stunned! People always surprise me.
--
Regards, BobF.

Old March 20th 08, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

A second computer with a webcam these days is the way to go. The tech
person can then see what is going on.

Old March 21st 08, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
csgannes

Hello the I had the exact same issue with my computer and the hard drive
had to be replaced. I did get the exetended warranty from Best Buy my
computer was sent back to Gateway to get the new hard drive installed.
When I bought my this computer the guys at Geek Squad took out my hard
drive from my Dell and installed in on the Gateway, so I have two hard
drives on this computer. It took the tech about three minutes to do this
installaion.

So to answer your questions, yes the hard drive does need to be
replaced I think in order to fix the issue, and if you are hands on as I
am I think you install the hard drive yourself if you are walked
through the steps on the phone.

FYI I only got my computer back today, so I cannot comments on if
replacing the hard driver is a permanent solution to our
problems.

--
csgannes

Old March 21st 08, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

I don't think it's a hard drive problem at all.
The problem is caused by the preinstalled Norton Security Suite.
Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
known to cause many problems in Vista which don’t always appear immediately.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
going to disinherit me.

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Old March 22nd 08, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

[...]

It may not be the hard drive. Does it ever shut down moments into booting,
as in before Windows starts to initialize? If it does, you could be looking
at an overheating CPU (fan and heatsink partially obstructed) or maybe even
the power supply..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old March 22nd 08, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w_tom

On Mar 20, 2:46 pm, bradleywold
wrote:
One of my computers is a Gateway desktop, that came with Vista Home
Premium. This computer has been giving me problems ever since I got it
last May. It has been giving me unexpected shut downs without warnings.
I have formated the hard drive numerous times, and finally paid Gateway
to get the restore disk so that I could do this. Well, the problem
kept continuing.

Of course the problem will continue. Why suspect a hard drive
problem? Hard drives do not cause that shutdown. Why fix what is not
broke using wild speculation? Instead, do what is stated in CSI -
follow the evidence.

Hardware that can cause that shutdown is limited to CPU, some
motherboard functions, only a small section of memory, video
processor, sound card, and the power supply 'system' (which is much
more than just a power supply). Notice items not listed include hard
drive (CD-rom, modem, NIC, keyboard, etc).

Now, two facts you must provide. First, what does the system
(event) log report?

Second, what are power system voltages as describes in a less than
two minute procedure entitled "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
Connector chart to locate each color:
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

In your case, most important numbers are on any one of orange, red,
purple, and yellow wires when computer is multitasking (accessing
everything simultaneously).

BTW, what is the CPU - Intel or AMD - since Intel CPUs simply slow
down when too hot.

Finally, a third useful procedure performed while waiting for
replies on those numbers. Heat is not a reason for failure. Heat is
a diagnostic tool. If heat is causing intermittent failures today,
then defective hardware will probably be getting worse in months.
While executing manufacturer comprehensive diagnostics (which Gateway
does not provide due to being a less responsible manufacturer) or
diagnostics from each above component manufacturer (video processor,
sound card, etc), heat those components with a hair dryer in highest
heat setting. Selectively put each components in more ideal (pig
heaven happy) temperatures. If that component is defective, then heat
in combination with the diagnostic may identify that defective
component. Only then are we ready to fix something.

Disk drive obviously is not the source of failure. Gateway tech
(and others) should have known that.
Old March 22nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Are you running Norton's security suite?
-------
[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375